Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-07-2014, 18:26   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1968 Cal 34, 1984 Catalina 22, 1987 Sanibel 18, 1968 Tanzer 16, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15
Re: Boat "Flipping," Fiberglass Repair

Alligatoring close up: this is where someone in the past repaired the gelcoat by sanding all the way through the gelcoat to the fiberglass laminate then sprayed too thin a layer of gelcoat over the defect. To remove it, I had to sand clear through to the fiberglass again. Gelcoat is usually about 30 microns thick and sprayed in multiple thin layers, ending up ten times the thickness of car paint- which allows for yearly maintenance to remove the outermost oxidized layer with rubbing compound or polish. Waxing protects the surface afterwards, but it is polishing and removing oxidized gelcoat which gives it the shine. Removing a little bit every year, it should last twenty years or more in most climates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scout 15 July 22 004.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	85616  

Old 27-07-2014, 03:48   #47

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Azul,

If you haven't already looked at it, you might enjoy minaret's thread, "Nauticat 52 re-fit".

Pretty amazing, actually. Knowledge beats brute force and awkwardness! I felt amazed at what could be accomplished, and most aware I had not the skills minaret does.
Ann

Old 27-07-2014, 03:57   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
HeHe, I don't think there is anyone who has worked with fiberglass for a while who has not forgotten to catalyze a batch at some point - or had a batch light off because of catalyzing twice. Not as easy to forget with epoxy, but easier with polyester and very easy with gelcoat.

Glad to know even the pros do it.

Mark
we had one bright spark,new on the job turn up with a bucket of epoxy,catalysed with mek and roll it into the mold that was being progressively laid up in vinylester
Old 28-07-2014, 06:27   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1968 Cal 34, 1984 Catalina 22, 1987 Sanibel 18, 1968 Tanzer 16, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Azul,

If you haven't already looked at it, you might enjoy minaret's thread, "Nauticat 52 re-fit".

Pretty amazing, actually. Knowledge beats brute force and awkwardness! I felt amazed at what could be accomplished, and most aware I had not the skills minaret does.
Ann
Yes, I have read that thread, and many parts of it two or three times. I referred to it earlier in this thread with my comment about his gelcoat color matching technique. In a perfect world, Minaret would be able to directly supervise all work done in fiberglass.

Below is a better picture of alligatoring from the starboard side of the Scout. The owner had this boat up for sale with the sticky gelcoat for $16,500 (NADA $11,500 for reference) but nobody was buying. The initial purchase price was $5000 (auction) and he claims he now has $13,000 in the boat after the repairs which I am now removing and buying new seats. It doesn't even have a roadworthy trailer or any electronics. Note the bare fiberglass below the tape stripe which was not due to sanding, this was what was left after simply rubbing the gelcoat with acetone and a rag. Almost the entire gelcoat on this boat has been destroyed in this fashion. I told him I would give him $7500 for it ha. Even the Yamaha 115 doesn't run correctly at high rpms, I think it needs the VST filter cleaned.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scout July 27 005.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	85693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scout July 27 001.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	85694  

Name:	Scout July 27 007.jpg
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	85695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scout July 27 010.jpg
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	85696  

Name:	Scout July 27 011.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	85697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scout July 27 004.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	85698  

Old 28-07-2014, 06:44   #50
Marine Service Provider

As several people suggested would happen, the owner has been a royal PITA to work with. Several phone calls per day despite getting a thorough email daily with pictures describing the work done, micromanaging, challenging Excel spreadsheet figures etc. I have already fired him as a client twice but he keeps crawling back lol.

I would describe it as trying to help someone that is drowning in a pool because they had a few beers and thought they could swim without lessons. If you jump in and try to help them, they can frantically climb on top of you and both people drown. Therefore, I am using a loooooonnngg shepherd's crook to keep my distance. Reach, throw, row, tow then go!

BTW, by posting this thread to possibly help other "amateurs" avoid some of the pitfalls I have fallen into in the past working on my stuff and others at the marina(more mundane than applying an epoxy slick to a 50 footer) I have been labeled "commercial." I'm definitely not trying to get work, find a girlfriend, stimulate my endorphins or start a cult with my comments but at least they aren't charging me anything for this status.

And if anyone thinks they will get rich by buying cheap boats and flipping them without having a reckless disregard for their own time I hope these disasters serve as a further warning.
Old 28-07-2014, 06:55   #51
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
we had one bright spark,new on the job turn up with a bucket of epoxy,catalysed with mek and roll it into the mold that was being progressively laid up in vinylester
Atoll, I have been fascinated by your projects in the past... pretty cool to raise a sunken vessel and restore it. Free boats everywhere!

It is good to see that even the experts can get tripped up on typos or terminology. MEK is solvent, I believe you meant to say MEKP which is the hardener.
Old 29-07-2014, 06:17   #52

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)

Tried to find the posts by Atoll about raising a sunken vessel and restoring it. Can anyone lead me to it. Thx

Tags
fiberglass

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: