Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 18:56   #1

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Boat Cover for a Ketch

sooooo,

I decided to really bite the bullet and cover Idora with an effective cover. I have embarked on a series of PVC constructions to act as a frame for the cover. Talk about crazy geometry. Google sketchup is a great help when converting 3D to 2D. I am making a cover that can be used yearly. It is really going to a challenge (adventure?) to cut the canvas for this thing. Anyone with guidance on these matters? I invite you to pipe up!

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 19:04   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: boat cover for a ketch

please keep in mind the big winds in many places we sail---sois a good idea to keep a low profile canvas so it doesnt rip apart and blow off.. seen that here with many covers. also in hot sun you may want a screen type cover with canvas edges for sun and heat control. if you make attachable solid covers for htose, then you have a good all-in-one
usable cover.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:53   #3

Boat: CS 36t
Re: Boat Cover for a Ketch

Are you covering with both masts up? We actually take down our mizzen each winter and leave the mainmast up. In our case, the mizzen isn't hard to take down using a main halyard but the main requires a crane to do so we don't do it. By doing this, you greatly decrease the windage, number of holes in the cover and complexity of the cover.

Also, I would recommend checking out Kover Klamps as an alternative to PVC. Each system has its own merits but if you are doing a canvas cover, you will find that the PVC is not all that repeatable and the fit will change from year to year.

As for actually doing canvas (it sounds like you are doing this?), I would recommend starting with a tarp over the frame and trying to pleat it in different ways. Tarps are relatively cheap and will allow you to try different methods out. We actually use tarps and bunch up the extra and sew it tight so that there are no baggy areas.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 17:06   #4

Klem. I have a ketch also

have some questions if you dont mind ...

are you cutting your tarp into multiple pieces or do you use a single tarp?

what type of tarp ? the cheap blue ones?

are you using the EMT tubing ? The tarp clips also? how does it work

thanks

Bill
sailorMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 09:39   #5

Boat: CS 36t

Bill,

For a frame, I use one constructed out of Kover Klips and EMT tubing. The Kover Klips come with a very good instructional video showing you how to build the frame. You can see a sample of the video on youtube if you are interested. The only things that you need to buy from a hardware store are the actual tubing and a few very basic tools if you don't own them already.

For tarps, we use 2 of the higher quality silver ones that you can buy at a place like Hamilton marine. Last year, I actually used a cheap blue one for the bow section and it held together but it was worn out by the end of the winter and I don't plan on using a cheap one again. I join the two tarps at the mainmast. I make cuts for the shrouds then sew up and tape them after installation. I have a split backstay and make cuts for it along the length of the boat and again sew it up and tape it. For tying the tarp on, we use a line under the keel about every 3'. Once everything is tight, we pleat the tarp in places where it is baggy and sew it together. In my opinion, this makes a big difference in how the tarp performs. Since it form fits the hull, we do not use any other clips or anything, we just use the grommets.

The system that we use works quite well for us. It isn't perfect but it really isn't bad considering how much work we put in. If I were to make any improvement, it would be to find a way to keep the tarps off of the topsides completely. I have seen this done with shrink wrap and it looks like it works quite well.

I hope that this helps.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 13:20   #6

Todd - I apologize for hi-jacking your thread!

Klem

Helps a lot! I think I'll go that route - just looking to keep the snow off at a reasonable price.

How hard is it to sew the poly where you cut and at the baggy parts? Can you use a regular sewing machine ?

Re Tarps off the topsides; I read one person used old bedsheets hung over the sides. Not pretty but...

Bill
sailorMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 13:49   #7

No hijacking...this is all good stuff. I used blue tarps on my old smaller boat and they did the job but they also offended all the other folks in the marina. It looked like the Klampet's had moved into the neighborhood. I am trying to avoid sewing and will try 3M 5200 and plastic gussetts combined with pop rivets to bind the edges of the 3 separate sections.
The real challenge is around the shrouds where the angles are critical. I finally have all the parts and will start in on it when I get home in a few days.

Todd
Old 15-10-2011, 02:44   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

For my winter cover I cut down an old mainsail sail cover for the complicated around the mast stuff.........fixed to the cover with a few poppers. Survived a couple of winters.

won't say that 100% waterproof - fitting a neoprene (old wet suit?) gasket has been on the list for a while now..........

BTW the fixings probably seem a bit Heath Robinson - that'll be because they are ......but nonetheless work well .........the cover was fitted by careful folding, and using glue and a hammer (and a fair few poppers). No Sewing........albeit I have since done a little bit of sewing to tweak the fixings.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 21:33   #9

A little progress report. The framing is all done and today I cut two of the necessary three canvas pieces. ( A little nerve racking given the cost.) I made two passes at each pattern with black plastic that came in 20' wide 100' long rolls. Basically yard and garden stuff. Tomorrow I will cut in the slices ( gashes?) for the shrouds. I am bypassing most of the shrouds in favor of solid material that is easier to work than canvas. I am terribly slow at this but nevertheless determined to see atleast a workman like product. Total cost so far is just less than $1k. I will still need more 5200 and more rivets before I can finish, just guessing it will end up around $1500.00 when complete. I hope it works and saves me time in the spring (more sailing?).

The devil seems to be in the details. If I ever do this again I will make much better drawings. Had Call of the wild on the CD player while laboring in the garage. It's the only place large enough to lay it all out flat.
wish me luck guys, this is a real experiment.

Todd
Old 04-11-2011, 03:46   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Good luck!

And photos when finished - for better or worse!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:26   #11

Boat: Orca 38

Hey Todd,

Sounds interesting! I'd love to see the finished product as well.

I'm not regretting no cover YET. I don't need one to protect the exterior brightwork but I sure would love the extra work space when it starts getting dark at 4 p.m.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:36   #12

So it continues. I found some 10oz vinyl coated polyester material that should work ( I hope ). I am now punting from the end zone but still in the game. Gotta love it.

Todd
Old 12-11-2011, 10:22   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

Last year I covered my Catalina 30 with tarps and duct tape. I was berthed in NYC at (bouncy-bouncy-cleat ripping) Lincoln Harbor. This year I am biting the bullet and paying a professional to make a cover that goes from the front of pulpit to over the stern rails. I am a guy who will research the lowest cost LED cabin lights, but in this case I spared no expense. Material is PVC coated Polyester "Top Gun". I figure with luck I can get real work done on the boat even if the weather is crap. Also I am now at an incredibly calm marina. Cost for the cover, complete with access zippers, stanchion pads, and grommets will be a bit under $3000.
carlspackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:06   #14

I wish there was a local alternative. I was quoted a very long lead time (2 years). Canvas folks in our area are busy right now. It's a struggle but I will get it done....then there's all the other work I need to do. Right now I am waiting for the material to arrive and then we shall see how long it takes. I gotta take a cue from Del and just keep swinging.

Todd
Old 12-11-2011, 11:14   #15

If your talking just a protective cover not a work tent: I had one professional cover in my life. It was a beauty, access ports, zippers etc. Used it once and decided it was way too much work to deal with. Much easier to wash the boat!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch