Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2008, 04:39   #1

Boat: Derecktor 51, 51' - Nanuk
Boat builder - Interior

Hi there!
Anyone out there that can suggest a good boat builder/interior carpenter that could help out in building a complete new interior in my 51' long ketch Nanuk?
She is in Stockholm/Sweden.

I need someone who is really skilled and used to starting from scratch since my boat literally is but a shell.

Anyone that can suggest good readings on how to build the interior yourself?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated
All the best
Peter
Bryttne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 07:36   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Can I suggest that you visit several boat shows and look at different layourts till yu find something that is similar to your wants. Take a number of photos and a layout plan and use that as the basis for change.
Old 24-10-2008, 20:37   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Bryttne, May I offer some suggestions? Before hiring a carpenter, you need to plan all the things that the carpentry will cover up, first. For example, first decide what habitation needs you will have. How many beds (sea berths and harbor berths) for how many people you choose to have accompany you on overnight, or longer, passages. Then, ask yourself what degree of comfort you need. Will you have a main salon capable of entertaining a number of people, or would the space be better used for storage, navigation space, a workshop, more storage, larger and more luxurious shower and head accomodations, etc.? Will you be carrying a variety of watercraft (inflateable boat, sailing dinghy, windsurfer, surfboard, etc.? Those things require space inside the boat for storage of accessories and spare parts.

Once you've got a general idea of the use of space, then start making a wish list of the equipment you wish to fulfill those needs. How big a refrigerator or freezer, how sophisticated an electronic navigation system, or computer system, or entertainment needs such as stereo, tv, etc. How many toilets and bathing facilities? How accessible do you need the engine and other systems to be?

The next stage is to consider the infrastructure needed to support all of those needs. For example, how much water will you carry, how much fuel, propane, gasoline for the outboards? How much electricity will you use in a three day period, and how will you recharge the batteries in that period? That establishes how many batteries you will need to carry, how many circuits you will need to plan on installing, how much wire (and what size they will be) will be needed to turn on the lights, etc. Will you have both electrical and manual backups for water pumps? Non-electric lights? How large the holding tanks will need to be. All of these things get covered up with pretty pieces of wood, but they generally go in first, or else things get very expensive and challenging.

Not all of the decisions need to be made immediatly, but they need to be lingering in the back of your mind whenever you start dreaming about a nice galley, an efficient chart area, a safe and comfortable toilet that can be used when the ocean is not treating you nicely.

Dream a lot. Imagine the good times and the bad, and how they will affect your use of space. Consider how you will access each item and system in order to fix them when (not if) they break. Where will you store the tools and materials (and manuals) to repair things? How easy will it be to clean up vomit, mud, broken glass and seawater from every conceivable space, from the bilge to the overhead?

Will you have space for backup systems such as spare anchors and rode? How will people get aboard in good weather and bad? How will people stay relatively warm and dry when waves are crashing over the bow, or stern?

I think that if you plan from the needs you have, the interior design will become self-evident. Trust yourself, and read the stories of those who have actually gone cruising. Figure out your own solutions, then discuss them with folks who actually know what they are talking about. Mistrust those who offer you advice such as mine, at least as far as questioning their motives, your own needs, and what your dreams demand. Learn how to use a spreadsheet program to keep track of electrical planning, inventories of supplies and resources. Make a very good drawing of the outline of the hull, make many copies and draw lots of possible configurations.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 21:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
A hugh task...

First, let me endorse what has written by Roy M.
Planning what is to be done is essential. Get as much detail as possible on paper before starting.

Some suggestions.
- Don't even think about completing the boat in the water. Every job is three times as hard.
- If you don't already have a protected shed or similar then you will need to get one. At the same time having a work and storage area at deck level will keep much of the mess out of the boat and save many trips up and down stairs.
- put down a temporary sole inside the boat using cheap ply. Check that you have the headroom that you want.
- If you can do it plumbing goes in before tanks/appliances, wiring goes in before batteries/fittings.
- You're looking at 10 - 20,000 man/hours and megabucks in fittings. Can you afford to finish the boat at Swedish rates? Would it be easier to ship/move (put in basic fitout/engine/steering first) the boat to Thailand, Indonesia or the Philippines?
-Items like gas lockers, hard dodgers, reefing, windlass, need to be in the initial planning.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 22:27   #5

Boat: Derecktor 51, 51' - Nanuk
Thanks a million for the replies so far!!
1) Steal with pride - Yes, I will visit the Scandinavian Boat Show in a couple of weeks.
2) Plan and develop a structured idea of what to do.
3) Find alternative locations to have the work done.

Yes - I will steal with pride. I think the idea is very good indeed and I will pursue it even harder.
Yes - I think the plan/structure/dream setup is what I have to do!
Yes - I've thought about that. For me the Baltic states is an interesting alternative and I will try to find out more info about that.

PLEASE CONTINUE WITH YOUR THOUGHTS!!!!

I REEEEEEALLY APPRECIATE IT AND IT GIVES ME COURAGE FOR THE FUTURE.
Bryttne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 02:53   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
I also strongly recommend that you include a "Wet Locker" in your plans - immediately available when you go below a place to stow wet weather clothing to keep it away from dry stuff.
Old 25-10-2008, 03:30   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Wet Locker

What Talbot said, x 10 to the sixth!!!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boatbuilder, carpenter, interior, Sweden