Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2015, 05:31   #1

bluewater coastal cruiser engines

if one of two engines stop can I run the boat on one engine?
cbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 06:09   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: bluewater coastal cruiser engines

Usually at a reduced speed.

What type of boat are you asking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 06:13   #3

bluewater 48 coastal cruiser
Old 15-05-2015, 06:17   #4

one engine stopped. we ent into gulf about 10 miles and anchored. later the boat took on water an sank. could the dead engine cause this?
Old 15-05-2015, 06:18   #5

I've only been on one of these boats, a 60' I believe. Operating on one engine is no problem for the engine, assuming you don't try to run it at full power. But the screws are placed so widely apart that maneuvering becomes difficult. Not insurmountable, but a real challenge.

Old 15-05-2015, 06:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbelle View Post
one engine stopped. we ent into gulf about 10 miles and anchored. later the boat took on water an sank. could the dead engine cause this?

Well, in theory if there was no siphon break on the exhaust, or a forward facing scoop on the raw water that set up a siphon you could flood the boat through the engine, but it wouldn't be quick..........

Old 15-05-2015, 06:29   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
A dead engine by itself has nothing to do with a boat sinking.

If the boat encountered some large waves and they were unable to maneuver and keep the bow into the wind then that could result in sinking. The anchor should have held the bow to the wind unless it dragged. If the anchor was holding when the boat sank then the waves must have been much too large for that boat to be 10 miles out.

These boats, contrary to the name, are not designed for open water in anything but calm conditions. The decks are low and the cabin high. They can easily take waves into the boat if it gets rough and the high cabin can be blown around by the wind.

Very nice boats for calm weather or ICW. Very roomy and much better than a houseboat for cruising.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 07:03   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: bluewater coastal cruiser engines

ROFL...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 04:54   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Seriously?

Old 16-05-2015, 20:16   #10

seriouly sailorboy1 !!!check heADLINES AT UTUBE MAY9, 2015.."COAST GUARD RESQUE 5 WHEN BOAT SANK IN GULF,,,,my daughtr, her husband,my 2 adult grandsons and my self...an 80 year old lady we had 20 minutess after found water in boat until she sank in water about hour until coast guard resccued us. had inspected and they found no problems 2
Old 16-05-2015, 20:48   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
seriouly sailorboy1 !!!check heADLINES AT UTUBE MAY9, 2015.."COAST GUARD RESQUE 5 WHEN BOAT SANK IN GULF,,,,my daughtr, her husband,my 2 adult grandsons and my self...an 80 year old lady we had 20 minutess after found water in boat until she sank in water about hour until coast guard resccued us. had inspected and they found no problems 2
Hello Cbelle. Welcome to posting in this forum.

Because the original post that stared this thread did not give much background, it could appear the question was simply hypothetical, or even a "troll" question intended to provoke.

I am sorry to hear of your boats loss and what must have been a scary time when you and your family had the boat sink and you had to take to the water.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/2015/...iver/27080757/

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...510-story.html

It is a good thing the USCG was there to rescue you so quickly.

Back to your question. Could a stopped motor cause a boat to sink?

I would want to know what caused the motor to stop.

When was the water noticed ? How long after the motor stopped?

Did the motor show signs of overheating prior to the motor stopping?

Did anyone in the crew see where the water was coming from?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 07:45   #12

thanks steady hand, belt broke on engine about noon, we went 10 miles in gulf. anchored. at 9 my dughterfound water coming in back door. in 5 minutes he main cabin was flooded and in total of 20 mintes the boat sank. the cg was called on radio.
Old 17-05-2015, 09:03   #13

Quote:
thanks steady hand, belt broke on engine about noon, we went 10 miles in gulf. anchored. at 9 my dughterfound water coming in back door. in 5 minutes he main cabin was flooded and in total of 20 mintes the boat sank. the cg was called on radio.

Sounds to me like something else caused the sinking other than an engine shutting down. You're sure the belt broke, and not something else?

What was the general condition of the boat? Was it well maintained?

It's pure speculation at this point what caused the sinking.

Old 17-05-2015, 11:55   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

We have a slightly larger version of the Bluewater. And generally no, a broken belt will have no effect on if the boat sinks. However there is a possibility that the broken belt was a symptom of something else, and that unknown something cause both events.

At least on my boat the only thing I could see happening, and be aware this is an incredibly remote possibility, would be if a below the water intake were hit by a flying belt as it broke. It might be able to dislodge the hose from the skin fitting. On mine there is a raw water intake for the AC that inside the engine room, but I would be very skeptical it could really happen like this.

The water coming in from the stern is more likely a symptom of there already being tons of water in the boat than a cause of the down flooding. Whatever caused this had already done its damage, the final overtopping of the stern was just the death knell.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 12:31   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
We have a slightly larger version of the Bluewater. And generally no, a broken belt will have no effect on if the boat sinks. However there is a possibility that the broken belt was a symptom of something else, and that unknown something cause both events.

At least on my boat the only thing I could see happening, and be aware this is an incredibly remote possibility, would be if a below the water intake were hit by a flying belt as it broke. It might be able to dislodge the hose from the skin fitting. On mine there is a raw water intake for the AC that inside the engine room, but I would be very skeptical it could really happen like this.

The water coming in from the stern is more likely a symptom of there already being tons of water in the boat than a cause of the down flooding. Whatever caused this had already done its damage, the final overtopping of the stern was just the death knell.
We are thinking alike.

I also wondered if the stopped engine might have been related to a snag on something while motoring then the shaft tearing a seal.

Or, loose fittings on raw water hose popping the hose off the motor, causing flooding and engine stoppage due to lack of water and overheating and seizing.

This sounds like a case where a loud bilge alarm and a working automatic high volume bilge pump should have alerted the crew to the rising water in the hull, before the down flooding from the stern.

And another case where an emergency crash pump might have saved the day, allowing time to fix the leak or get a tow or get to shore or to step off onto another boat instead of into the water.

Again, sorry to hear of the loss of the boat, but glad everyone made it home safely.
_______

I am going to post a few photos of a sister ship (1990 Bluewater 48 Coastal Cruiser) just to show the stern and the dual props/rudders and the freeboard. I am posting this to help others here who may not have seen one of these cruiser boats before. I have NO connection to any of these boats or owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluewater 48 Coastal Cruiser stern qtr water.jpg
Views:	1264
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	102264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluewater 48 Coastal Cruiser stern.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	102265  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluewater 48 Coastal Cruiser props.jpg