Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2008, 16:15   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Blisters.....HELP!!

Hi,

Boat is out of the water and I'm doing my first blister repair job. Read lots of articles online and on this site and I think I have a fair handle on what to do. During the pre-purchase survey, they only found a few small blisters. I found lots more and much bigger ones. I thought they would be just below the gelcoat but i found them slightly deeper, about 1/8 of an inch or slightly more. I will try to add pictures to show you.

Some suggest cloth to be applied to deep blister, What is a deep blister? The hull is slighty less than 3/4 of an inch think full fiberglass. for the more shalow ones I will be using thickend West System epoxy with silica (microbaloons for the final fairing)

anyhow, if the pictures show up you will have an idea of what I am faced with.

**Question** Would filling be ok or should I apply layers of glass (for the really large ones I will apply glass)

The yard owner said that the reason for the really big ones were probably that the PO's never bothered with them.

I know a peel and recoat would be best but can't do it at this time.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0434.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	5060   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0450.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	5061  

Name:	100_0445.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	5062   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0447.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	5063  

Name:	100_0449.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	5064   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0451.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	5065  

Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 08:58   #2

Ah well, looks like you've got the hideous part done with the grinding anyway.
The best repairs i've seen, they use ever increasing sized circles of cloth well saturated and squeegied clear of bubbles with epoxy, beginning with the smallest circle and layering larger with microlight on the final layers.
This can be done at the tacky stage all in one go; if left to cure each layer, the area must be resanded, the blush removed and washed clean before the next level with acetone.
You might find more blisters with each annual haulout, but hopefully, less and less each year.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 16:12   #3

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE
Bus Driver, what do the folks at the yard say would work, epoxy fill or fiberglass fill? I know they have seen this issue before.
One thing for sure, no matter what method you use the area (blisters) to be repaired need to be very clean. I used a hand held sprayer and flushed the areas with acetone. When I did this paint and dust particles from the sanding could be seen floating out of the repair area.
This is a nasty job start to finish.. I have done it on two of my boats... Take your time and follow the epoxy manufacturer's directions. Remember it is only plastic and glass.. Even if you should make a mistake it can be corrected.
Duke
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 17:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Little boat... thanks for the reply. That is the method I will use for the large areas. And as you said, I sure hope it gets better and better every year.

Duke... The initial reason that I posted this topic is that everyone at the yard had a different opinion... so I wanted to see what some of you guys thought. Today I talked to a few more do-it yourselfers and I've got a plan of attack now (fill smaller, glass bigger). Great idea with the Acetone in a spray bottle. I was using a brush and rag for the final wipe.

Thanks!!!!

Now if I can only decide what to antifoul the prop with.....
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote