Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2018, 17:58   #1

Boat: Sceptre 36
Bladder Tank Leak

I have a Vetus Bladder Tank that is leaking from the exit fitting. The tank is OK, just leaks at the fitting. Have taken it apart and am now drying it out. What is the best sticky stuff to put it back together with? It is a threaded fitting made of plastic. Any ideas appreciated.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 18:10   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Bladder Tank Leak

The Vetus fittings go on dry. If the gasket looks deformed, get a new one and don't tighten it too much.
Old 15-05-2018, 18:51   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Rex, if it were mine, I'd use 3M 5200 on it, if it is a hypalon tank. If it is PVC, it will still work. (Once bonded a PVC bottom onto a hypalon one in a dinghy.) It is just so much hassle to have damp below, and have to clean out and dry the place where you keep the tank, for me it would be worth it. Use 4200 if you think you might want to ever separate them.

Ann
Old 16-05-2018, 06:51   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
I have a Vetus Bladder Tank that is leaking from the exit fitting. The tank is OK, just leaks at the fitting. Have taken it apart and am now drying it out. What is the best sticky stuff to put it back together with? It is a threaded fitting made of plastic. Any ideas appreciated.
Rex,

We had a similar problem with a 50 gallon Vetus Water Bladder some years ago. Close inspection of the hole through the material for the discharge fitting revealed a small tear that was allowing water to leak out (see snap below). I was able to repair the damage by cutting a round "patch" out of a piece of PVC Inflatable dinghy repair material (obtained at West Marine) with a cut-out for the throat of the discharge fitting, and affixing it to the tank with "Goop" contact cement. Once screwed down "snugly", not overly tightly, the outer collar of the discharge fitting provided adequate pressure on the "patch" to ensure a good bond and the tank has held, without leakage, ever since, now about 10 years.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 18:27   #5

Boat: Sceptre 36

Used 5200. Worked perfectly!
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 19:30   #6

3M 5200 is amazing stuff. I've got a funny story from when I used to build go fast boats. We had a 28ft with twin 502's on the line Friday. Well my coworker set the deck on with 5200 and punched out without bolting it down. Well come Monday I came in and lifted it with the gantry from the lifting eyes that are attached to the deck and then moved the thing 200ft. Later my coworker came up and thanked me for bolting the deck on. Needless to say my jaw dropped because it was hanging by 5200 alone for a couple of hours lol.
Almost-There is offline   Reply With Quote