Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 21:35   #1

Boat: 1977 Downeaster 45
Bladder installs for fuel and water

Has anyone had good experiences with installing bladders into old fuel and/or water tanks?

Our Downeaster 45 has very difficult to access (and large) fuel and water tanks and I'd like to get them both cleaned or lined before venturing too far from home.

I've had the fuel tanks visually inspected and have been told they both look like cleaning/polishing would be possible but there is a chance of puncturing the walls since there is minor corrosion.

For the water tanks (150gal each) they are rather difficult to access, the starboard tank leaks when filled all the way up (it stops leaking at some point, leading me to believe the tank has a hole somewhere near the top) and now that they are low the water comes out a bit milky. Might just be sediment from 40 years of use all over the pacific that has settled at the bottom.

I've researched some bladder systems like ATL (http://atlinc.com/marine.html) and I have the blue prints for the boat so I may be able to get bladders made that are custom fits, but wanted to see if anyone has had any experience installing these and how well they work.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!
MDR_Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 12:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Bladder installs for fuel and water

I've used many bladders commercially and in the military, but not that brand. Bladders will last a long time out of the weather, but not as long as metal tanks that are cared for. I have 1942 mild steel fuel tanks and 1970 galvanized water tanks. Still tight.
It's also a lot of work to fit a bladder into an existing tank, if that's what you're thinking. You have to cut the top out usually. If you take the tanks out there needs to be support for the bladder so it doesn't rub or move around. They also need internal baffles. 150 gallons of water = 900 pounds.
Personal experience with bladder water, it takes a while for the water to taste normal.
Maybe a watermaker and a smaller new tank would be better?
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 15:12   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bladder installs for fuel and water

There are many issues with bladders, from wrinkles holding water in fuel tanks, to chafing and splitting.
If possible they should in my opinion be avoided, however that’s not always possible, then you just deal with them and replace as necessary.
ATL if it’s who I think they are, are an excellent bladder, they made the Turtle pacs?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 17:18   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I have no experience lining tanks with bladders but I did business with ATL back in the seventies and eighties. They are a first class company to deal with and make a fine product.

I sold a lot of their on deck bladder tanks for extending the range of boats. It was funny, most of the guys who bought them paid with stacks of twenties. Miami, early eighties, stacks of cash, I wonder.
Old 21-12-2017, 12:07   #5

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have had a pair of smaller Nauta tanks for water, since before I moved aboard in 1992. I have never had a problem with them, and they still look like new. They are very well made. The only bad experience was when I didn't use them for a long time; the small amount of water left inside went bad. It was easy enough to flush out and treat with a tank cleaner, but it is probably a good idea to just keep using them. I don't remember if there was any initial taste, but after cleaning the chlorine taste is retained for a while. When cruising I always use a charcoal filter before the faucet to remove tank tastes so that is never an issue.

I lined the lockers for the bladders with outdoor carpet, and the original carpet is still there. There is no abrasive damage whatsoever after many years and miles so that worked. With larger tanks baffling would be required, or simply (stoutly) subdivide the space and use multiple small tanks.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 19:49   #6

I don't know that it matters but to be more accurate, 150 gallons of water weighs closer to 1250 lbs.
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 21:14   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnkarl View Post
I don't know that it matters but to be more accurate, 150 gallons of water weighs closer to 1250 lbs.
1500 lbs in Canada - we have heavier water.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 00:01   #8

Boat: Coast 30

Yes those pesky Pilgrim Fathers wanted to be different and changed the 20 oz English Pint to equal the 16 oz Pound. I guess they didn't drink beer?

The original bladder was35 gallons by Nauta made in France. They are now made in Belgium. But their North American supplier is in Florida. So being as I am in Canada & they refused to supply direct, Caused me to decide not to do business with them because I would not pay two import Broker & customs duties,

I now have a replacement of a 72 Us Gallon bladder under the Vee berth, made by AVON of USA.the hull has been lined with Neoprene foam, Anchor points of Black locust epoxy glued and screwed to the hull holding eye bolts secure and tension the holding straps to prevent movement.
not sure how much of the water capacity can be used before lifting under the Vee berth Deck occurs or weighing to much.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 06:17   #9

Care of Encyclopedia Google:

A Canadian gallon of water weighs 10 lb which is the same as 4.535 kg. The American gallon is equivalent to 3.786 litres, and since 1 litre of water weighs 1 kg, an American gallon of water weighs 3.786 kg. Obviously, the Canadian gallon is the larger.

The ratio is 1 gal(CAN) = 4.535 / 3.786 = 1.198 gal (US). Rounding this off to 3 significant figures, we find 1 gal(CAN) = 1.20 gal(US).

Bigger is better?
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 06:42   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnkarl View Post
Care of Encyclopedia Google:

A Canadian gallon of water weighs 10 lb which is the same as 4.535 kg. The American gallon is equivalent to 3.786 litres, and since 1 litre of water weighs 1 kg, an American gallon of water weighs 3.786 kg. Obviously, the Canadian gallon is the larger.

The ratio is 1 gal(CAN) = 4.535 / 3.786 = 1.198 gal (US). Rounding this off to 3 significant figures, we find 1 gal(CAN) = 1.20 gal(US).

Bigger is better?
Always!
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 21:14   #11

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I lined the lockers for the bladders with outdoor carpet, and the original carpet is still there.
Count on lining the tanks with carpet. Corrugated cardboard also works but it lasts for about two years and then has to be replaced.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:16   #12

Boat: C&C 40

We have used a nauta tank for about 15 yrs. No problem. Just don't overfill.

Ya'll ain't never heard of an Imperial gallon???
Ted.
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:08   #13

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Remove and replace the tanks.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, water