Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-02-2006, 19:21   #16
Kai Nui

That was a bit over the top K.
Just to clarify, when you are refering to the 20% blend are you refering to a oil diesel/bio diesel blend. My reference was to #1 diesel, that is basicly kerosene, and #2 diesel that is the regular dirty stuff. In different areas, the blend wil vary from about 10% to 50% on the regular diesel. This thread has got me thinking about how traditional fuel additives react with bio. You mentioned that the supplier was adding something to your current fuel. Do you know what they are using? Any idea about traditional algacides, and fuel conditioners? I would think that a food based fuel would have new and additional problems with bio contamination such as algae.

Old 23-02-2006, 19:25   #17

B&BJoas once whispered in the wind
Quote:
Would someone please pull the plug on this guy? If you have something to say that is relevant to the conversation, by all means, post. If you have nothing intelligent to add to the topic, please just read. Those of us that are trying to learn something here have to wade through pages of banter to glean any information at all.
So who was this directed at?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 19:34   #18

Boat: 1966 13' Catboat
It's just not worth it.
Old 23-02-2006, 19:35   #19

That's what I thought?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 23-02-2006, 19:44   #20
Kai Nui

B&B, don't sweat it. We all have bad days. We welcome your input.
Old 23-02-2006, 19:53   #21

I'm having a great day, actually! I decided not to buy a boat today. As funny as that sounds, I was real close to buying a Pearson Ariel and at the last second I didn't do it because something didn't feel right. Know what I mean? I love those Kittiwakes though. Still looking for the right Ariel. Alberg just talks to me. It's the wood boat look in plastic! How 'bout that for hijacking a thread.
Old 23-02-2006, 20:00   #22
Kai Nui

I meant K, but it's all good
I am guessing you are refering to the Canadian Kittiwakes. Cute little boats. My boat is named Kittiwake, but is an old wood boat. No relation. I am a wood boat guy, and I could not agree with you more. (unless you were looking at an actual wood boat)
Old 23-02-2006, 21:28   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Well, I'll take your side B&B. I had a couple wood boats and they about worked me to death. And I was a young man then. They were probably the demise of my first marriage.

And I'm not really for polictial posting on THIS forum no matter who you're bashing. One bash just leads to the next. It's a good way to loose mates, aye!
Old 23-02-2006, 22:27   #24

I'm having a great day, Kai. Thank you for asking!!

I just didn't like B&B's tone with me earlier. So sorry folks, for rockin' the boat?

Old 23-02-2006, 22:30   #25
Kai Nui

No sides here Wood boats are a labor of love. Salt and sawdust. If I am missing either, I start to fall apart.
Old 24-02-2006, 06:22   #26

The Kittiwake I was refering to was made by Kenner of Arkansas in the sixties. They may have been made in Canada, too, you know the way the boat business is. Here today, gone tomorrow. They were a direct descendent of a Herreshoff design.
I'd love to see your boat, Kai, sorry for the misidentification. Do you have pics in the photo album?There is nothing like wood. I have subscribed to WoodenBoat for 13 years. Like delmarrey said- I want to keep my marriage intact so for now it's glass. Having destroyed this thread, I'll leave off now. Let's keep the discussion to boats and sailing related topics! Oh, and a few off color jokes now and then
Old 24-02-2006, 08:41   #27

B&BJoas is right.

I myself have for some reason ranted. And I shouldn't of done that. I apologize for that B&B. Let's stick to the matter at hand!!

By the way, it appears that Kittiwakes were being built in the mid-60's, if not before, by Kenner. They were also built by River City Sailcraft and Ray Greene & Co.

According to the Kittiwake registry it appears that Kenner built the Kittiwake from 1966 to 1971 , Ray Greene built the Kittiwake from 1973 to 1975, and River City Sailcraft built the Kittiwake from 1976 to 1978.

The Kenner Kittiwake 23 was built using a mold that the South Coast 23 Builders left behind when they had a falling out with Kenner and moved their operation further south. Kenner took this mold and lengthened it by 6 inches and refaired the mold, raised the cabin top, and changed from a fractional rig to a full mast rig. Very few other changes were made.

Old 25-02-2006, 12:17   #28

Some good dirt on Bio-Diesel

Bio wil gel at higher temps than Dino-diesel. Somewhere around 37F. In the sumer I'll run B100 or 100% bio in my Cummins and VW. In the winter I usualy go back to Dino due to the gel factor. Blending bio and dino in a concentration of 5% bio or less in the winter seems to be better but still has draw backs.
WHat you are seeing in the filters is the fuel after temps come up it'll flow normaly.
Old 25-02-2006, 16:49   #29
Kai Nui

37 deg?!? That could be a problem!
I am not sure I understand your last sentence Pat. Could you clarify?
Old 25-02-2006, 17:38   #30

I never was good at writing.
It should read,
"what you are seeing in the filters is the fuel. It will return to liquid after the temps come up."

Tags
diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: