Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-05-2015, 07:40   #1

Binnacle comes apart??

My control cables on my 73 Morgan O/I 41 need to be replaced. I have the top off the binnacle but that is about as far as I've gotten. Has anyone replaced these before? If so, please give me some advice on how to go about this. I've attached a couple of photos taken yesterday that I hope may help.
Thank you much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0697.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	101445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0698.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	101446  

Old 05-05-2015, 07:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Binnacle comes apart??

Recently replace the cables in my 1983 Edson and it was pretty straight forward.

Don't remember the exact process but once I had the compass off as I recall I just looked at the setup and the next steps were obvious.

From what I can see in your photo I think I removed the screws you can see to get the next section apart and access the cable connections. The cables also simple to remove and replace.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:56   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

I don't have the same boat, so only going from the looks. Is that a Yacht Specialties pedestal? Looks like one. On ours the next step would be to pull the shaft, which pretty much frees up everything. Or, if you have just enough clearance, just pull the chain up (assuming the cables are free at the other end. Add some string to the ends of the cables help you guide them back in the same places.

If it is a YS pedestal manuals are harder to come by, someone here might have a better one. This is the installation manual:

http://www.marlow-hunter.com/export/...Pedestal-1.pdf

but it doesn't really cover the assembly. Here's a blow up of the same area in Edson, they are very similar, although not identical:

http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/P...aftRemoval.pdf

One other option for cable removal/replacement, if the wheel is hard over the end of the chain may just be accessible from underneath? Attach the new cable, then go hard over the other direction. Depends on the chain length and height of the pedestal.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:34   #4

[QUOTE=Dsanduril;1817956]I don't have the same boat, so only going from the looks. Is that a Yacht Specialties pedestal? Looks like one. On ours the next step would be to pull the shaft, which pretty much frees up everything. Or, if you have just enough clearance, just pull the chain up (assuming the cables are free at the other end. Add some string to the ends of the cables help you guide them back in the same places.

If it is a YS pedestal manuals are harder to come by, someone here might have a better one. This is the installation manual:

Yes...It does look like the Marlow. But I don't see the two "down pipes" that hold the cables just below the top of the binnacle. Finding these is critical. My system is hydraulic...if that is any help. Thank you
Old 07-05-2015, 10:03   #5

Lots and lots of WD40 is what it took to get mine taken apart farther than you are right now. Those flathead screws are bitches to get out without stripping them when they have been in for several years and have corrosion holding them in.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:12   #6

Boat: J/37

I have my pedestal apart right now replacing the steer cables and other parts. I went ahead and used a dremmel to cut those bolts and remove the compass. The heads were toast and now i have a couple inches of stud left to grab with a vice grip. I have been soaking with PB every day for just hoping they will come out. I decided to cut them so i could continue with the project and get everything apart.

Using stainless bolt into an aluminum housing is just a bad idea. If when i get it apart, i am going to drill out the holes in the pedestal and instead of re-tapping, i am just going to put a nut on the bottom so i dont have to worry about dissimilar metals again.

Attached is a current picture of my progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2614.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	101535  
Old 08-05-2015, 05:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thank you dad View Post
I have my pedestal apart right now replacing the steer cables and other parts. I went ahead and used a dremmel to cut those bolts and remove the compass. The heads were toast and now i have a couple inches of stud left to grab with a vice grip. I have been soaking with PB every day for just hoping they will come out. I decided to cut them so i could continue with the project and get everything apart.

Using stainless bolt into an aluminum housing is just a bad idea. If when i get it apart, i am going to drill out the holes in the pedestal and instead of re-tapping, i am just going to put a nut on the bottom so i dont have to worry about dissimilar metals again.

Attached is a current picture of my progress.
Yep, stainless steel screwed into an aluminum frame. You would Edson, of all companies, would know why that was a bad idea.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:08   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Instructions ➥ http://www.marlow-hunter.com/export/...Pedestal-1.pdf

Patent /w Drawings ➥ Pedestal wheel steering system having universal self-adjusting idler

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 17:51   #9

DING DING DING we have victory. The very last diagram of Yacht Specialties lead to the successful removal! Two brass screws the hold two 8" long 1/4" square rods...the bottom ends of which are attached to the control cables. Who designed this puzzle? The screws hold the square rods up into a hole that keeps it from turning. Wow...I would never have figured this one out. Thank you much for your help. Hope to start the engine Monday and test the new engine/tranny...paint the bottom and splash next week. Yeehaa.
Old 12-05-2015, 21:47   #10

Boat: Mariner Ketch 32- 1979- hull 202
Binnacle comes apart??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuego View Post
My control cables on my 73 Morgan O/I 41 need to be replaced. I have the top off the binnacle but that is about as far as I've gotten. Has anyone replaced these before? If so, please give me some advice on how to go about this. I've attached a couple of photos taken yesterday that I hope may help.

Thank you much.

I believe that's and Edson Classic or similar design.
After the binnacle those 4 screws will come out, there is linkage to remove the cotter pins from then it's free of the shift/throttle levers.
Control cable are held in with a metal billet secured by a screw about mid way down the outside of the Pedestal on the opposite side of the wheel , usually the cables are then removed from below so as to clear the shaft for the steering, then reverse the procedure use a Phillips screw driver to hold the billet in the screw hole for replacement.
Be sure to mark where the billet is clamped onto the cables, then set the new ones at the same height, or down again you go to remove and reposition, as this billet is clamped onto the cables then secured to the Pedestal with the screw you took out.
Not to hard just take yer time.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Old 17-05-2015, 14:57   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Any type of threaded fastening into aluminum will come out easier next time if given 2 turns of Teflon tape.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: