Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 16:14   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Bimini Material

Did a search but found nothing specific as to the best material for my application.

I have extended the stainless supports for my canvas Bimini so as to provide full shade and rain protection underway in our rather large cockpit. Presently we have zip on attachments to the main frame but they are too sloppy and unsupported to provide good cover in strong winds or rain. I now have added additional stainless supports to put up a permanent cover, but what material?
A hard top that size would be very heavy.

I am familiar with Sunbrella and use it now, but in the tropics and in monsoon periods they only last a couple of years in the sun and leak in the heavy rains as the threads deteriorate.

Can anyone recommend a good quality vinyl material or something else, that is superior to Sunbrella in the tropics, for a permanent cover?

Thanks….Nick
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
... A hard top that size would be very heavy.
... Can anyone recommend a good quality vinyl material or something else, that is superior to Sunbrella in the tropics, for a permanent cover?
Thanks….Nick
There’s many different materials available to make Bimini covers; Acrylic, PVC, Vinyl Polyester, and Canvas.

The Acrylics (coated & backed), such as Glen Raven “Sunbrella-PLUS 8400” (Not “Regular” Sunbrella), Bainbridge “Solacryl”,(et al) are, by far, the best fabrics for marine use.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:27   #3

We are making the switch from Sunbrella to Stamoid. Several boats in our marina have gone this way and the dodgers and biminis seem to hold up better then the Sunbrella. It does not shrink, mildew, and is waterproof. It is the same material most convertable tops are made from.

We have no experience fabricating the material but we have been assured it is as easy to work with as Sunbrella is. We let you know how it goes, we use 92 thread, size 18 Schmetz needles, on an old Consew wf machine.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 20:40   #4
CF Adviser

Thanks for the input. Any particular Mnfc\Brand that has the best reputation in the tropics?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:34   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Stamoid is a laminated woven polyester fabric, coated with vinyl - either on one side only (Lightweight Series), or on both (Double-Coated Series). The Double Coated can be heat sealed.
Sunbrella-PLUS-840 is a woven acrylic with a urethane (waterproofing) treatment on one side.

Stamoid is more waterproof than Sunbrella.
Stamoid is more subject to mildew than Sunbrella.
Stamoid does not breath, whereas Sumbrella does.

I was happy, over 10 years use, with my choice of Sunbrella; although I've known others just as happy with their Stamoid.
I've also known those unhappy with both products, mostly attributable to improper (or no) cleaning & maintenance.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:37   #6
CF Adviser

Thankks again Gord. Found this very good link which compares all the marine grade canvas materials

www.canvas-fabrics.com - Outdoor Fabric Selection Chart
Old 11-02-2008, 05:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pelagic
Thanks - excellent link !
Click on the Click on the fabric names and category headings to see Sailbrite's clear & simple explanations.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:13   #8

sunbrella protection and thread

If every 6 months or so you wash your sunbrella with a MILD soap and then treat with 303 FOR CANVAS it won't leak a drop. Search Results

As for thread. Sailrite sells a thread that will outlive us all, Tenera. Search Results

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini