Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2017, 23:49   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Bilge pump recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I found a regular Rule 2000 pump in a locker, so well go with this suggestion, or a derivative thereof.

I read an article by Don Casey where he recommends a 2 stage system. Mount a smaller (say around 500 gph) fully automatic pump in the lowest spot of the bilge, and then the higher capacity pump on a raised platform with either a float switch, or even a manual switch. The logic is that the high capacity pump stays high and dry, except when needed in an emergency. This extends it's life almost indefinitely.

Installing a Bilge Pump by Don Casey - BoatTECH - BoatUS

Interesting read, any thoughts?

Yes, and we discussed that -- maintenance pumps and water-moving pumps are different. Keep the water-moving pumps higher.

And don't forget the BILGE ALARM.

Pumping doesn't plug a leak. You need to know if something starts leaking.

Some people also use a counter on the maintenance pump, so that they can monitor how much it pumps. I don't bother with this myself, but an alarm is essential.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, men