Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2018, 11:59   #31

Boat: sabre 28
Re: Beta marine engine cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeebles View Post
I have a good price from Sound Marine Diesel in CT.
If you haven't purchased yet the owner of Sound Marine is a really decent down to earth guy. Everything ships out of NC if I remember correctly.
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 12:17   #32

Boat: Scout 30

I second the recommendation for Sound Marine. Joe DeMers will give you a good price & is very helpful.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 19:07   #33

Boat: Olson 40

Yanmar 3GM30F replaced with Electric Yacht 10KW. The new motor and batteries weigh less than 25 gallons of diesel. A total savings of over 700 lbs.

And the simplicity! Took about two hours to install and align. The engine, shaft, mounts, etc weigh 50 lbs, so its very easy to just pick it up and move it around.
Attached Images

u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 20:07   #34

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32 View Post
Yanmar 3GM30F replaced with Electric Yacht 10KW. The new motor and batteries weigh less than 25 gallons of diesel. A total savings of over 700 lbs.

And the simplicity! Took about two hours to install and align. The engine, shaft, mounts, etc weigh 50 lbs, so its very easy to just pick it up and move it around.
Guess I have to ask, how far does your new electric motor and batteries get you compared to, say 25 gallons of diesel for your old Yanmar ?
Also, how do you charge the batteries if you are away from town power?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 21:23   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartWeibel View Post
Forgot the link to my blog post about re-powering Ripple:

Re-powering s/v Ripple
Great blog! shud be compulsory reading for anyone re-powering.Thanks for sharing
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 14:28   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: My 3 Freedoms 28 35 and 44 Cat Ketches

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32 View Post

Can we get some details on the other goodies? Battery type and configuration, and the electronics needed to manage the system? I am going to try it on my boat not sure how to go yet, Electric Yacht, Thunderstruck, or cobble together like

https://www.sailinguma.com/electro-beke/#why-electric
Old 02-01-2019, 14:50   #37

I repowered my Cape Dory with a D1005 Kubota industrial engine and marinized it my self. With gearbox and all it cost me just under 5K, Just my two cents.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 23:40   #38

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
I repowered my Cape Dory with a D1005 Kubota industrial engine and marinized it my self. With gearbox and all it cost me just under 5K, Just my two cents.
That's interesting.
Do you have info on the marinization process!
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:40   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
I'm interested as well. Wish you'd do a write up & post on that process.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:16   #40

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
I marinized a Kubota D1105 and will be installing it this month. Engine, PRM 125 gear, bell housing, adapter plate, damper plate, engine mounts, heat exchanger, full gauges and senders, 90 Amp alternator, water pump">raw water pump, exhaust, fuel filter, hoses, etc is about $7000. Unless you like doing mechanical stuff it's probably not worth it especially if you don't know a little about bell housings, adapter plates, and drive plates. I don't see it being done for $5K without using a lot of old parts. Everything I used was new. The savings is installing it yourself. Beta can make mounts that will make it a drop in install in a lot of cases saving a lot of time and trouble.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:22   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I marinized a Kubota D1105 and will be installing it this month. Engine, PRM 125 gear, bell housing, adapter plate, damper plate, engine mounts, heat exchanger, full gauges and senders, 90 Amp alternator, raw water pump, exhaust, fuel filter, hoses, etc is about $7000. Unless you like doing mechanical stuff it's probably not worth it especially if you don't know a little about bell housings, adapter plates, and drive plates. I don't see it being done for $5K without using a lot of old parts. Everything I used was new. The savings is installing it yourself. Beta can make mounts that will make it a drop in install in a lot of cases saving a lot of time and trouble.
Are you saying it cost you $7000.00 plus the engine or all together? I don't know about with all new parts as I used both new and used. Off the top of my head it cost a bit over $150.00 for a Hayes flywheel housing, I had an Oberdorfer raw water pump already, the flywheel adapter was $25.00 used, Exhaust manifold was $500.00 with shipping from the UK and has the heat exchanger built in, the most expensive was the gear, a PRM 125 that I believe cost $700.00 with shipping, also from the UK. Bits and pieces like the alternator and engine mounts I had or made and the engine was $3200.00. I wish I had taken pictures or keep a running total because as I'm sure you know there are lots of nickel dime stuff that adds up like engine paint and assorted fasteners that I've lost track of. As I'm not wealthy and I do enjoy working on mechanical things it was far better than getting screwed by Beta for 12 grand, things like engine mounts are very easily made for a Kubota from angle iron and you can make them to fit just like Beta and the iron costs about twenty bucks, measure twice cut and drilled it takes about an hour if you don't count painting them. R&D isolator mounts for this engine cost thirty bucks apiece if you buy them in the UK, I happened to have some already.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:47   #42

$7K including motor and everything. I got a lot of stuff from the UK also. A lot cheaper and I received it in two days. No import fees on most of it and only 3% on a few things. $700 is about what I paid for the PRM 125 gear. The small stuff really adds up. Nuts, bolts, washers, hose clamps and hose, wiring, gauges and senders, air and fuel filters, upgraded alternator, etc. I enjoyed putting it all together. Hope it works as well in the boat as on the bench.
Old 03-01-2019, 14:08   #43

Quote:
$7K including motor and everything. I got a lot of stuff from the UK also. A lot cheaper and I received it in two days. No import fees on most of it and only 3% on a few things. $700 is about what I paid for the PRM 125 gear. The small stuff really adds up. Nuts, bolts, washers, hose clamps and hose, wiring, gauges and senders, air and fuel filters, upgraded alternator, etc. I enjoyed putting it all together. Hope it works as well in the boat as on the bench.
Yes getting stuff from the UK is usually much cheaper on many things. I use Lancing Marine a lot and ASAP supplies. I've gotten such good service and reasonable prices in the UK I put a Lister Petter in my powerboat. There are some places in this country that have outrageous prices, TOAD marine being the first to mind. They wanted over a thousand dollars for one engine mount for an M25. Good luck with your engine, I'm sure it'll be great.
Old 03-01-2019, 14:26   #44

I used ASAP Supplies for a lot of things. Good prices and quick delivery. It really pays to shop around.
Old 03-01-2019, 16:59   #45

Quote:
I used ASAP Supplies for a lot of things. Good prices and quick delivery. It really pays to shop around.
I have Technodrive TMC60A gearbox I got from Lancing marine that cost under $900.00 with shipping that Sound marine wanted $1495.00 for. You're right it pays to shop.

Tags
beta marine, engine, marine