Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-03-2014, 16:12   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best Windlass for IP 38

Buying an Island Packet 38, currently has no windlass. Gotta have one, want one chain and rope capable, any suggestions?

Old 02-03-2014, 16:34   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Best Windlass for IP 38

I have a comparable vessel by specifications and I am very pleased with my Simpson-Lawrence Sea Tiger manual horizontal windlass. You did not mention that you would favor a mechanical or electric windlass. I am very pleased with my mechanical windlass.

Old 02-03-2014, 16:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My suggestion is go mostly chain and go vertical. Chain/rope type are great for daysailing a powerboat, but not that trouble free for serious cruising.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 18:08   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Electric is all I have experience with. While I plan on all chain rode for my heavy anchor, I was thinking of a fortress or danforth and some chain but mostly rope rode for a temporary good weather short time anchor, so don't I want a capstan that is double sided to handle both?
Is it called a capstan isn't it?
Old 02-03-2014, 18:09   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Captforce, I thought you had a much larger boat than an IP38?
Old 02-03-2014, 18:28   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Captforce, I thought you had a much larger boat than an IP38?
A few years ago I was docked next to an Island Packet 38 that was for sale and a placard was posted on the vessel with draft, weight, mast height, sail area, etc. My Morgn is a 41', but the few feet in length was a major difference compared to all the other similarities in the specifications. I was most envious of the Divinylcell deck core on the IP compared to my work intensive balsa core that I've worked with by replacing some soft spots.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Electric is all I have experience with. While I plan on all chain rode for my heavy anchor, I was thinking of a fortress or danforth and some chain but mostly rope rode for a temporary good weather short time anchor, so don't I want a capstan that is double sided to handle both?
Is it called a capstan isn't it?
You can get a capstan on a vertical or horizontal windlass. They can be handy at times, and as you mention great for that time you might need to get the backup anchor out. But frankly, once you get used to using the chain and windlass, even for a lunch stop it's just easier. If the windlass is electric or manual, the chain is easier. You have to "tail" the rode if using rope with one hand while you crank with the other and you really can stow the rode while you're doing that. I'm just saying chain is simple and easy... once you do it... you'll never go back!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:45   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Got it on the chain, yes having to "tail" the rope is a PIA, I usually just let it accumulate on deck and stow it after getting the anchor up.

Why would a vertical windlass be better?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:15   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Of course you will get differing opinions on Horiz vs vertical. I was a horizontal type until I bought a boat with the vertical. Since then I've had 3 boats with verticals and they are very trouble free.
The differnce seems to be stripping the chain out of the wiildcat and feeding thru the hawse pipe to below. For some reason unknown to me the Horizontal types seem to have more problems with the chain stripper. In fact there is a recent thread on this forum regarding the stripper breaking it's attachment to the windlass and there was another not long ago regard having trouble getting the stripper to work properly.
I persoanlly had a lot of trouble getting the stripper set just right on a horizontal, and it was a hangup throughout the life of that boat.
Maybe because the verticals often have the stripper as part of the unit so it's always dead on? They force the chain down thru the hawse more reliably also. My horizontals would occasionally have a link "fold over" between the stip and the hawse opening ... and then it jams.
Bottom line? Life has been trouble free with vertical windlasses.
Down side? if you really want to use the capstan a horizontal capstan is easier to use.

Old 03-03-2014, 22:11   #10

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

Many IP owners are using the Lofrans Tigress and swear by it, the IP factory use this windlass if ordered with the boat. I prefer the vertical and went with a Maxwell, like it sofar.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:09   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I'm the guy who's chain stripper broke off. It is fixed now. A horizontal windlass has the chain on the gypsy for only 90 degrees (only 3 or 4 links). A vertical windlass carries the chain around 180 dergees so there is less chance of the chain jumping off the gypsy. If I was buying a new windlass and if it would fit in my boat I would go with a vertical next time.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2014, 09:43   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Starting to sound like a vertical is the way to go, I was not even considering a vertical until I asked you guy's, now you have almost talked me into one. I've no experience with a vertical windlass, always had horizontal ones, only two though, it's not like I have much experience anyway.
Old 04-03-2014, 15:08   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
................ I've no experience with a vertical windlass, always had horizontal ones, only two though, it's not like I have much experience anyway.
I, also, have only had experience with a horizontal windlass. For me it's been only the same one for 29 years. I'm fortunate not to have experiences with the chain jumping off my gypsy, jamming or not stripping properly. Once I did need to cut my stripper spike from the base of my windlass in order to open my windlass for maintenance because the stainless spike had corrosion-fused to the cast aluminum base, but it was an easy rebuild for my cut out piece.

Ceechako's posts lead me to believe that a vertical windlass is the best choice for an electric and horizontal for mechanical. In fact, this is what I see mostly on the market; however, as time passes there are fewer mechanical choices. We anchor frequently and I have not yet found that the manual windlass is very taxing physically. I consider it a part of my "gym membership"! I have friends living ashore that pay a monthly fee to have access to machines such as my windlass.

Tags
wind, windlass

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: