Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2010, 19:38   #16

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362
I did not have good luck with Starbrite White Teflon, supposedly waterproof, grease. It bled oil out onto the deck & then caked up. I stripped it all out & paid for the expensive Anderson (or Lewmar). Perhaps lithium is better but a properly greased winch does not use a lot of grease, so a tube goes a long way
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 23:47   #17
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
Does anyone know where to get the clip that holds the whole thing together on a Barient #16 SS winch? Also the little springs...
Thanks for any help
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:38   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
Does anyone know where to get the clip that holds the whole thing together on a Barient #16 SS winch? Also the little springs...
Thanks for any help
Spings for pawls (bottom right)... Looks familiar?

For the clip, Is this what you are looking for?

mbrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:33   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
West Marine carries them. $1 / spring. Keep them in a safe place as they are really hard to find when you drop them. They have two styles of springs and they have the ones for Barrient. Ours don't use retainer ring to hold on the outer shell. They use a hex wrench down the winch handle hole. The above are the alternate clips used on some winches. If you are careful you can reuse the ones you have unless they got damaged. They make a tool for that, b ut you need to spread the ring from both ends at the same time and it comes off easily.

The other style spring is straight coming off tangent to the round bend in the spring but Barriet has an extra bend at the tangent. It seems subtle but it matters. Replace all of the sprigs so the tension is even.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 19:12   #20
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrault View Post
Spings for pawls (bottom right)... Looks familiar?

For the clip, Is this what you are looking for?

Those are the clips at the bottom - and the springs I'm looking for, can you sell some to me for a barient 16 SS?
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 21:15   #21

I use SuperLube. I talked to the tech guy at Andersen winches and he confessed that it was the same thing they sell as their grease. I suspected as much as it looked the same. It is clear and doesn't get your hands all dirty which is an advantage. They say it doesn't absorb water but I am not convinced as I am getting some milky appearance when I service them. You can also buy it in those grease gun canisters and it is very cheap that way, just over $9 for 14 ounces. I posted the specs on my web site or you can google for them. Super Lube Synthetic Grease With PTFE Teflon 21030

Allen
allene222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 22:49   #22

Boat: Able 50
I wouldn't recommend wheel bearing grease for the needle bearings in a winch. It would really stiffen up on cool days and slow the winch down. It is designed to work in much higher temperatures than your winch will ever see. If you live in the tropics there might be no difficulty.

There would be no problem putting it on the gears no matter where you live.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 23:06   #23

I forgot to mention. I have the service manual for your Barient #16 winch (and many others) on my web site in case you need it.
Winch Service Manuals

Also, the Andersen tech support guy said to go ahead and use the Super Lube on the pawls that it doesn't harden up over time like regular winch grease and lasts longer than oil. I do that and have not had any problem but then again I didn't have any problem when I used oil, except spilling the oil all over the place.

Finally, you can find a source for spare parts for Barient winches by looking at the winch section on this page. Stuff I bought a bunch of bearings from them a few years ago. Good people.

Allen
allene222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 22:37   #24

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Antigua 38
Re: Best Winch Grease ?

just purchased a 450 gram cartridge of Morey's Bigfoot EP 2 grease for my winches. Hope it works. Previous owner was very lax and one winch needs a new cog or replacement. I have 4 Meissner 23ST_41A winches that are now obsolete insofar as the maker was bought out by Holmatro who discontinued the line. Would be interested in any info on spare parts. The broken winch was on the mast and serviced the main halyard, the toughest job on the boat, and I think it was a bit light. _~~_/) ~~_ The green flash
aquaslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 06:42   #25

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I just finished doing the Meissner winches on my neighbors boat. The Main halyard , 23ST-41A was trashed due to years of negligence. The bushing on the larger gear was not there, as a result the pin bent and wore the center hole way over size. The gear must have been running at an angle for a long time and wore the pawl gear to a sharp point. The owner paid various people over the course of 16 years to look after the mechanical equipment on his boat. Obviously this was missed or ignored several times. Since parts are difficult to get he will be replacing this winch with a Lewmar 40ST.
Old 14-04-2012, 05:37   #26

Lithium, available at your local hardware store. As a general highlight of the process and grease, i suggest this article by Walter Schulz:
Lets talk about Winches
gmnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 07:51   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, gmnord.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 11:47   #28
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Thanks. I knew some frugal boater would have a good idea.
ha-ha, it was not my good idea: Some 12 years ago I tore down my 555 Sea-Tiger anchor windlass and called their US Service Department to ask about type and brand of grease to use:
He recommended Corrosion resistant wheel bearing grease. (for boat trailers, the bearings get dunked and soaked in saltwater every time they launch and retrieve)

Since then I have also used the stuff on my winches and being in Florida Bahamas only, they never get stiff, nor do I have to service them very often..
Save stuff on my seacocks, works great, last a long time.

As for the springs, pawls, I use motor oil.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07   #29

Has anyone tried motorcycle chainlube? I ride and have what amounts to white lithium grease in a spray can. The quote from the can is

"...extremely high pressure resistant lubricating film, highly adhesive, resists fly off, water resistant, thermally stable..."

Seems perfect for this application

What does everyone think? Btw it is Motoline 622 that I use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
West Marine carries them. $1 / spring. Keep them in a safe place as they are really hard to find when you drop them. They have two styles of springs and they have the ones for Barrient. Ours don't use retainer ring to hold on the outer shell. They use a hex wrench down the winch handle hole. The above are the alternate clips used on some winches. If you are careful you can reuse the ones you have unless they got damaged. They make a tool for that, b ut you need to spread the ring from both ends at the same time and it comes off easily.

The other style spring is straight coming off tangent to the round bend in the spring but Barriet has an extra bend at the tangent. It seems subtle but it matters. Replace all of the sprigs so the tension is even.
Jill_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i used trailer/axle grease in a tub. i think there is white lithium grease in a tube or a tub for use on trailers and winches---as long as it is greased and that grease stays on the gears and dogs...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote