Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 21:26   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton
Best Way to Extend Settee for Sea Berth

I'm buying a Columbia 28 that has been gutted and rebuilt--a nice job was done but there are no sea berths (I'm 6'0" and the settees are both 5'0"). Any ideas on best way to extend either settee (or both)? The pictures might show it better but I think my options are:

1) Cut out bulkhead into hanging locker on starboard (I lose the locker space and am not sure if the bulkhead is structural).
2) Cut out bulkhead into head on port (this would necessitate remodel of head--possible losing the sink altogether? And weakening the bulkhead--these are 1/2 marine ply).
3) Move the stove or raise it up?
4) Move or relocate the sink?

More pics if it helps for ideas: Index of /images/stories/columbia_28

Any suggestions?
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 14:49   #2

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Best Way to Extend Settee for Sea Berth

Hmm, the same problem I had with Espie. I was planning on cutting an hole in the cabinette under the chart table which would have given me 6'6" on the port side, but the starboard one was hopeless. it was only 5'6" and there was no way to extend it. My dinette table was removable so I stowed it under one of the settees and put a mattress on the cabin sole. Worked just fine on either tack.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 15:08   #3

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I'd change the stove to just a cook top and go in under there, you don't really need an oven. They're nice to have especially if you like cookies but you can get by without one.
Old 15-06-2011, 16:28   #4

Boat: Pearson Triton
I've thought about the inflatable mattress on the cabin sole for passages and v-berth in port. I was just hoping for a more elegant solution. I will probably go with a table top mounted kerosene single burner stove on top of footwell. I don't think the current LPG installation is up to code anyway. The bad news is the starboard berth (where the stove is) is much narrower than the port side as it tapers near the bulkhead but I think my shoulders will fit.

Thanks for the ideas. If anybody else has been through this feel free to chime in.
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 22:21   #5

Boat: C&C Mega 30

I'm not really sure from the picture, but it looks like the locker to starboard probably has structure in the bulkhead in the front of it. Take a close look at how the wall on the right side of the locker is attacked, if it's tabbed to the bottom of the deck, or if there are stringers on the hull that it's attached to.

Look on the outside too and see where the chainplates go. If they come down on the hull where that is mounted on the inside, it might be important.

But ultimately, you'd have to what most important, and how much work you want to do. My suggestion would be to get used to curling up... (I'm 6'3") or consider a different boat.
wannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 03:38   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard CF
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 05:05   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

My choice would be:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver25 View Post
1) Cut out bulkhead into hanging locker on starboard (I lose the locker space and am not sure if the bulkhead is structural).

It probably does have some structural benefit - but with the main bulkhead behind I doubt if anything crucial, I would go for a Trotter Box and maybe go a little OTT on the construction - also no need to make the modification 100% permanent, apart from the hole and could keep side access from the cupboard as well (for feet ventilation? / storage if you later decide that it's not of great use).

Could also serve to store bedding in daytime, so not a total waste of space.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote