Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 12:47   #1

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Best Tool for Cutting Screws

After installing several pieces of hardware to the cabin top, I need to cut off the excess length of the stainless bolts in the cabin. What tool would be the best?
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 12:59   #2

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Best Tool for cutting screws

A dremel tool with a cutoff wheel.
Old 25-05-2012, 13:00   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
After installing several pieces of hardware to the cabin top, I need to cut off the excess length of the stainless bolts in the cabin. What tool would be the best?
Hacksaw or angle grinder or angle grinder with cut-off disc.
Are you trying to do this in-situ?
Usually best to mark the right length during the dry fit up stage, then cut (and finish / polish the cut end) after dismantling before the final assembly.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 13:10   #4

Yeah, you don't want to chop one of the bolts and mutilate the end so you cannot get the nut on or off. Might want to have a tap and die set around just in case along with something to polish up the ends.
Old 25-05-2012, 13:17   #5
Eternal Member

Keep it simple: a Dremel tool with cutoff wheel will do the job fast and cleanly. No problem with getting nuts on or off.

Be sure to wear eye protection.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 13:23   #6

Just what diameter are these bolts?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-05-2012, 14:00   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dremel tool with the black cutoff wheel, not the cheap red-brown ones. Do wear goggles for this, you've got metal dust and a possible broken wheel all able to get in your eyes. And of course, if you hold a pan or bowl under each one as you cut, there's less mess to clean out of the bilge or foul the bilge pump.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 14:20   #8

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

If you use a rotary tool like a dremel, hold a vacuum hose up next the flying bits so they go in the vac and not all over the boat deck. put the hose where the bits will fly off as the cutting disc spins.

afterwards flush the deck thoroughly with nitric acid to pacify the SS so it wont cause rusty bits all over the surface to show.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 14:20   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Can't believe so many of you use a dremel. No horsepower at all, I can stop one with my bare fingers. And all the bits are 1/8" shaft, which means the cutoff discs and others break much too easily because 1/8" shaft accessories are made for hobbyists and homeowners. You can buy an industrial 1/4" shaft die grinder in pneumatic or electric for substantially less than a dremel, and it is a vastly better tool with ten times the horsepower and many thousands of industrial strength bits easily available. Just my two cents as someone who wouldn't own a dremel.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 14:22   #10

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Can't believe so many of you use a dremel. No horsepower at all, I can stop one with my bare fingers. And all the bits are 1/8" shaft, which means the cutoff discs and others break much too easily because 1/8" shaft accessories are made for hobbyists and homeowners. You can buy an industrial 1/4" shaft die grinder in pneumatic or electric for substantially less than a dremel, and it is a vastly better tool with ten times the horsepower and many thousands of industrial strength bits easily available. Just my two cents as someone who wouldn't own a dremel.
buy reinforced discs dremel sized, they last and last. There are some non reinforced nasty cheap lousy discs that snap so easily.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 14:26   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I would prefer the Fein Multimaster for this but could do with a Dremel with fiberglass reinforced cut-off disk (you see the fibers in the disk and it's way larger than the toy cut-off wheels that are in the kits).

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 14:36   #12

They are 1/4" stainless.
Old 25-05-2012, 14:38   #13

I was thinking of holding up a wet towel to make a curtain to catch debris as my buddy cuts.
Old 25-05-2012, 14:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
If you use a rotary tool like a dremel, hold a vacuum hose up next the flying bits so they go in the vac and not all over the boat deck. put the hose where the bits will fly off as the cutting disc spins.

afterwards flush the deck thoroughly with nitric acid to pacify the SS so it wont cause rusty bits all over the surface to show.
I believe the OP is doing this inside the cabin!

An aside, am I the only left in the world using a hacksaw, files and some wet dry paper? In this instance I would use my Bahco junior hacksaw with a 6" 32 TPI metal cutting blade.
Old 25-05-2012, 14:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
As with anything: there are good and bed versions of a dremel too. I have used incredibly cheapo harbor freight ones that were't worth their weight as a fishing sinker, and I have also used the name brand with the remote cable and it was very nice indeed.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote