Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 13:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
Best tint/film for hatches

Just finished rebuilding my original hatches which are solid teak.
I replaced the old Plexiglas with 3/8" Makrolon polycarbonate which had a light grey tint to it but offered no UV or heat rejection properties. Previously I had tinted all the hatches and portlights with a 3M tint but it allowed a lot of heat transfer to the interior to the point that the A/C was working extremely hard to keep the temperature down especially in the summer down here in the Caribbean. This time around I purchased a film from V-Cool which I had used before years ago during new construction projects. WOW I forgot how good this stuff is at rejecting heat. I applied the 70 series which is almost clear so there is no major loss of light but it rejects 77% of the heat, blocks all of the UV spectrums and keeps the interior at least 15 or 20 degrees cooler. If anyone is looking for a great film to help reduce internal temperatures in their cabin you need to give this stuff a try, it is very expensive but worth every penny.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch