Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 06:21   #46

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibug View Post
Thanks so much for all of the advice! We decided on 5200 and caulked the seam this past Sunday. It took 5 cartridges. Here are a few photos of the outcome with more detail on the blog.
Danibug and Target great job,

You said this in your blog,

"I think we can get away with only taking up this part of the caprails. I have looked all along the hull to deck joint inside the boat and didn’t find much leaking other than in the middle. Also we won’t really care if it leaks in the very front or the very back. We would like to avoid removing the curved pieces as well as the genoa track, which already has a boat load of butyl tape shoved under it. I’ll just redo the caulk seam really well in the areas we leave."

My concern is that once you begin your circumnavigation you will encounter big water punching away at the bow caprail areas etc especially when the bow/stern are underwater.
Dockside fresh/rainwater is a nuisance but what about saltwater constantly finding it's way into the boat while sailing?
The boat is fairly new to you, there is a good chance that saltwater could pour in during heavy seas.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 07:17   #47

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'
Re: Best sealant for hull deck joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
My concern is that once you begin your circumnavigation you will encounter big water punching away at the bow caprail areas etc especially when the bow/stern are underwater.
Dockside fresh/rainwater is a nuisance but what about saltwater constantly finding it's way into the boat while sailing?
The boat is fairly new to you, there is a good chance that saltwater could pour in during heavy seas.
There is that possibility I suppose. So far I have gone around the caprails with a hose and checked the inside of the boat looking up under the caprail for leaks and the only leaks I found were in the Vberth, Head and the Salon forward of the Genoa tracks. The area containing the genoa tracks had no leaks and at one time in the engine room it appeared there were only a few leaks coming from the Stanchion bases I assume as the leaks are the same on both the port and starboard side.

The chainplates were replaced at some point and we think the caprails around them were also removed, siliconed and replaced.

Since the caulk around the rest of the caprail is so old I figure using the results of the above hose test that simply recaulking the caprail seam will help prevent any future leaking into those areas, if it will ever leak at all. If however there is some leaking in the forepeak or engine room I'm hoping it will just drain into the bilge. As long as the main living areas where we keep all of our stuff is dry I'll be happy. If not from the caprails I imagine the inside of the boat will be a salty environment no matter what.

Of course I want the boat to be as dry as possible but the work involved with removing the genoa track and the curved caprail pieces at the front and back of the boat isn't worth it since I don't see any evidence of leaking so far.

Stripping the old caulk and recaulking the caprail seam really isn't that hard and at this point would rather do that every 3 years then pull up the rest of the caprails. Of course I'm hoping for longer than 3 years but I like to estimate conservatively.

If the caulk doesn't work however and we do find rivers of saltwater in the boat we may tackle the issue at that point. At least then we'll have already done half of the caprails. We kind of have a motto to not fix things that aren't broken. If you spent all your time designing and refitting the boat for things you "could see" happening I imagine you'd never leave. We have to go with 80% of the important stuff and hope for the best with the last 20%

Hopes this helps explain our rationale. Good luck with your project!

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 08:46   #48

Sounds good.....
I figured there was a method to the madness, but couldn't help asking.
Old 19-03-2013, 09:16   #49

"...there is a good chance that saltwater could pour in during heavy seas. "
I dont know, it doesnt sound like a "pour in" type of leak to me... more of a drip. Of course any leak is a nuisance due to smell or items getting wet. OTOH, that's what wooden boat owners would say bilge pumps are for!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 09:34   #50

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Sounds good.....
I figured there was a method to the madness, but couldn't help asking.
We ask a TON of questions and also like answering them so never fret to ask away. This has been a few years now of refit and we have learned a hell of alot. I would be delighted if our experience helped others in the same "boat".

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 08:08   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"...there is a good chance that saltwater could pour in during heavy seas. "
I dont know, it doesnt sound like a "pour in" type of leak to me... more of a drip. Of course any leak is a nuisance due to smell or items getting wet. OTOH, that's what wooden boat owners would say bilge pumps are for!
Hey,
When my hull is the only thing between me and 1,000 feet to the bottom I will consider it a pour.
Old 23-03-2013, 09:50   #52

Fair enough!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 10:11   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Fair enough!

Happy Sailing!