Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2014, 18:35   #1

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta
Best Sailboat Bottom Paint for Cruising

I have always listen to the advice of "use the anti-fouling paint that works for everyone else in your harbor". Problem is now we will not be long in any particular place. I know this question is a loaded gun of opinions. Reason we are asking is we will be applying our barrier coat of Interlux 2000E this weekend and it recommends that first coat of bottom paint be applied right after last coat of barrier coat is applied even though we are not planning to splash until September.

As always appreciate all responses.
Noreastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 18:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Best Sailboat Bottom Paint for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreastern View Post
I have always listen to the advice of "use the anti-fouling paint that works for everyone else in your harbor". Problem is now we will not be long in any particular place. I know this question is a loaded gun of opinions. Reason we are asking is we will be applying our barrier coat of Interlux 2000E this weekend and it recommends that first coat of bottom paint be applied right after last coat of barrier coat is applied even though we are not planning to splash until September.

As always appreciate all responses.
I subscribe to the theory that bottom paint is the last thing before splashing - especially ablatives.

Can you wait on the Interlux?

FWIW - I use Micron Extra in our "high growth" environment and am happy with it. I balanced cost against their "top of the line" stuff.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 19:10   #3

Boat: Currently boatless

You could put 1 coat of Fiberglass Bottomkote on the Interprotect within the prescribed time window. This will bind to the Interprotect and then allow you to apply 2 or 3 more coats of antifouling of your choice when you're ready for it.
Old 20-06-2014, 20:04   #4

It is my understanding that ablative paint can be applied with the boat remaining on the hard for some time without any determent when the boat is finally launched.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 20:20   #5

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Just to be safe put 5 coats of 2000e on now and then put the last (6th) coat of 2000e on in September one hour before your first coat of bottom paint. 2000e can go up to 6 months between coats without sanding.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 20:59   #6

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta

Thanks for the responses all.

Dave I like your idea however the hull has been dry in a shed for seven months. Would not want to put the last coat barrier on after it is out in the open for two months.

Ziggy, Bottcote might be a good compromise to hold off on the finale coats of bottom paint.

Guessing all agree we need to put something on the barrier coat after the last coat is applied and boat gets moved out of the shed?
Noreastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 16:39   #7

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreastern View Post
Guessing all agree we need to put something on the barrier coat after the last coat is applied and boat gets moved out of the shed?
Your antifouling will fall off if you dont apply at least one coat within the prescribed time window after interprotect

Tags
bottom paint, cruising, paint, sail, sailboat