Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 02:44   #31
cruiser

Re: Best Non Skid For Longevity??

Thank you for all of these responses. The goal here, is to go from bare epoxy/glass substrate up to finished product with as little sanding as possible, achieving a good final product.
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:58   #32
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

In my prior lifetime I was a drywall contractor. Naturally when I did my nonskid I went with texturing the finish like I would doing a wall. i used gelcoat but an epoxy paint could also be used. i rolled it on as thick as possible and kept rolling it as it tacked up and started peaking. Afterward I "knocked it down" with sandpaper till it got to a comfortable nonskid that wouldnt eat skin. This method i dont think would require primer if you were going with epoxy on epoxy.

On my first boat I tried adding a sand texture but when it wore it looked dirty and awful.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:17   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
In my prior lifetime I was a drywall contractor. Naturally when I did my nonskid I went with texturing the finish like I would doing a wall. i used gelcoat but an epoxy paint could also be used. i rolled it on as thick as possible and kept rolling it as it tacked up and started peaking. Afterward I "knocked it down" with sandpaper till it got to a comfortable nonskid that wouldnt eat skin. This method i dont think would require primer if you were going with epoxy on epoxy.

On my first boat I tried adding a sand texture but when it wore it looked dirty and awful.

This is actually an excellent technique. Using a thickening agent like cabosil would have allowed you to roll the peaks in on the firstbgo around.

I know a guy who owns a wwell known trawler production company and he does this. Only issue is epoxy won't stand up to sun and polyester won't stick to epoxy.

Painted myself into a corner there. :/

This would be ideal though if I had the right coating. hmmmm
Old 05-04-2014, 14:28   #34

Boat: Westsail 32

What about KiwiGrip, that's what I was thinking of going with.
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 17:47   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
What about KiwiGrip, that's what I was thinking of going with.

I have a sample of it, given to me by one of my suppliers. I have it in the "too expensive" category in my mind. It was also too "sharp" but I'm sure you could thin it a bit or sand it down like mentioned earlier in the thread.

Generally, it is a good concept.

How about adding some cabosil to polyurethane paint ans brewing up your own Kiwigrip?