Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2017, 10:24   #31

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.
Re: Best maintenance spot in Pacific Northwest

Cracky man, you have received numerous recommendations. I just skimmed through some of them again. Did you ever say where you and the boat are now? I did not see that. So if it were me I would stay as close to home and boat as possible. Now you said you have three weeks to do a bunch of things. Well that won't cut it. Those three weeks will stretch into 2+months very easily. Once folks start working and they will be late with that, there will be a multitude of new problems discovered. Just arranging the lift and pressure wash the bottom will take a day. Also remember a lot of yards will not let you stay on the boat. You may not want to stay there anyway in March it rains here as you know and their insurance may not allow it. The longer your boat sits, hangs or squats in the yard the more money they make. The coordination of mechanics will drive you nuts. They do not get in a hurry. They think tomorrow will work. And I have found when I watch, I ask questions, the techs stop working to answer and there goes the time clock. Also you don't need to run up the motel/air fair portion. For a normal person just the boat work will break the bank. If I were you I would try to find a yard close to home and work/supervise/question as much as possible weekends with the yard supervisor. Sneak up to the yard weekends and talk to folks getting work done on their boats. See if they are happy. No matter how much you try to organize it is very easy to slip days here and there in the mechanics schedule.

You are better off doing what ever you do in your day job, because this is going to cost a heck of a lot more that you think/budget for. You will need the money. Trust me I have been there, several times. So my final bit of advice, KIS. Hey Monkey, that's Keep It Simple.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 14:07   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
Cracky man, you have received numerous recommendations. I just skimmed through some of them again. Did you ever say where you and the boat are now? I did not see that. So if it were me I would stay as close to home and boat as possible. Now you said you have three weeks to do a bunch of things. Well that won't cut it. Those three weeks will stretch into 2+months very easily. Once folks start working and they will be late with that, there will be a multitude of new problems discovered. Just arranging the lift and pressure wash the bottom will take a day. Also remember a lot of yards will not let you stay on the boat. You may not want to stay there anyway in March it rains here as you know and their insurance may not allow it. The longer your boat sits, hangs or squats in the yard the more money they make. The coordination of mechanics will drive you nuts. They do not get in a hurry. They think tomorrow will work. And I have found when I watch, I ask questions, the techs stop working to answer and there goes the time clock. Also you don't need to run up the motel/air fair portion. For a normal person just the boat work will break the bank. If I were you I would try to find a yard close to home and work/supervise/question as much as possible weekends with the yard supervisor. Sneak up to the yard weekends and talk to folks getting work done on their boats. See if they are happy. No matter how much you try to organize it is very easy to slip days here and there in the mechanics schedule.

You are better off doing what ever you do in your day job, because this is going to cost a heck of a lot more that you think/budget for. You will need the money. Trust me I have been there, several times. So my final bit of advice, KIS. Hey Monkey, that's Keep It Simple.
Much truth in what you say, which is why I have acknowledged that things won't go perfectly. I couldn't agree more, based on experience, on one thing you say: start working on a boat and you'll find more stuff that needs work. Anyone reading this who doesn't have a boat already, and is not rich, needs to learn this lesson. The maintenance never stops. It is a boat, after all. I asked for the advice (great stuff, as you say!) because I need to do the work in the PNW. That's where the boat is located, but I have very limited experience there. Alas, the marina where the boat is berthed has no services at all -- nothing, full stop, and no transport. But boats are mobile, so it can go anywhere in the region for the work. I'll be on the boat the whole time, doing work myself (not to watch the other workers, wink wink). I won't go to a yard that won't allow me to stay on the boat. There will be a deadline and the boat will head over the horizon for a three-month journey, weather permitting, once that deadline is reached. It can do so right now.

When I get more organized I'll be putting out a call for crew to join me on a very long passage. Ideally those folks will arrive early enough to help with some of the work and preparations. (Another lesson for people new to cruising: getting all the stuff you need to set sail takes forever, especially if you aren't near super stores.) Doing work on a boat is good seamanship: you get to know about the stuff you'll probably have to fix at sea, or at least you get a better idea of how to keep the boat going without the stuff you cannot fix at sea.

I'll be the person asking the questions and distracting the techs...
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 14:11   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsailordiver View Post
I have been happy with the port of Astoria boat yard.
That's Astoria in Oregon, right?
Old 31-08-2017, 14:16   #34

Boat: Catalina 30

canadian dollar is Still under .80
why would you go to the US
idylours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 15:24   #35
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylours View Post
canadian dollar is Still under .80
why would you go to the US
Because even with the exchange a lot of items and services are cheaper south of the boarder and taxes are even less. For instance a foreign boat having work completed in Washington may be excluded from sales tax on parts or items purchased (not including labor unfortunately) where as absolutely everything in BC is taxed and at a ridiculous rate regardless of the origin of the boat.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 15:45   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Because even with the exchange a lot of items and services are cheaper south of the boarder and taxes are even less. For instance a foreign boat having work completed in Washington may be excluded from sales tax on parts or items purchased (not including labor unfortunately) where as absolutely everything in BC is taxed and at a ridiculous rate regardless of the origin of the boat.
Agreed. The exchange rate has no meaning at all. Many parts come from the USA or other countries, so it all works out the same in the end. But taxes do matter.

By "foreign boat" do you mean a boat from outside Washington or a boat from outside the entire USA? I guess you mean the latter, which wouldn't help me. If I could get the big items tax-free that'd be a big draw. (I recently paid big money in taxes to BC for parts. I'm not against taxes; they are a necessary evil. But if one doesn't live in a place, and thus doesn't cost the government anything, they can be hard to stomach.)

Back when I had an airplane I took it to a state that has a law excluding airplane service and parts from taxation. That was a good way for the state to draw in work from outside the state. I guess some states must do the same for boats, depending on the power of their local marine business lobbies.

So many things to consider. Keep repeating: "It's a boat."
Old 31-08-2017, 15:48   #37

Re: Best maintenance spot in Pacific Northwest SUMMARY

SUMMARY for anyone who's interested:

BC: Newcastle Boatyard in Nanaimo; Stone's Yard in Nanaimo (contact: Nick Webster, 250-716-9065); Race Rock Yacht Services in West Vancouver; Shelter Island Marina in Richmond; Race Rock Yacht Services, West Vancouver; Arrow Marine Services, Richmond; yards in Sidney; Jack's Boat Yard in Lund

Washington: Port Townsend (Shiprights Co-op); Seaview North in Bellingham (need a car); Canal Boatyard, Seattle; Anacortes yards

Oregon: Astoria
Old 31-08-2017, 15:54   #38
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
Agreed. The exchange rate has no meaning at all. Many parts come from the USA or other countries, so it all works out the same in the end. But taxes do matter.

By "foreign boat" do you mean a boat from outside Washington or a boat from outside the entire USA? I guess you mean the latter, which wouldn't help me. If I could get the big items tax-free that'd be a big draw. (I recently paid big money in taxes to BC for parts. I'm not against taxes; they are a necessary evil. But if one doesn't live in a place, and thus doesn't cost the government anything, they can be hard to stomach.)

Back when I had an airplane I took it to a state that has a law excluding airplane service and parts from taxation. That was a good way for the state to draw in work from outside the state. I guess some states must do the same for boats, depending on the power of their local marine business lobbies.

So many things to consider. Keep repeating: "It's a boat."
Pretty sure it's non-state-residence exemption but you'd have to check. It's up to the seller to discount the tax and may only be willing to do so if a larger order is involved. I wouldn't expect much cooperation if you're buying a handful of hose clamps or similar. Also check with boat yards, owners forums and insurance benefits as, for instance the fisheries supply store in Seattle offers discounts for membership/usage perks I think around 10% on average, add that to the tax exemption and Washingtons looking pretty good.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 18:41   #39

Can anyone comment on Commodore's Boats in Richmond, BC? Good experiences?
Thanks!
Old 06-09-2017, 08:27   #40

Don't know about Commodores, but the question of taxes wasn't fully covered.

Normal procedure for "draw-back" is that the purchaser pays as if he were liable, even if he is not. THEN, if he meets the exemption criteria, the Ministry of Finance will, upon proper application, send the purchaser a cheque in refund of the tax paid.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:38   #41

Boat: 32 feet of love

I hauled a couple of weeks ago at newcastle marina in Nanaimo. It is the cheapest I found in terms of DIY yard - $220 to lift my 28' sailboat, including 2 free days in the yard and they lend you the power washer for free to clean the bottom.
off season (starting october) extra lay days are $18.
They provide boat stands, ladders and scaffolding free of charge.
They were also very kind to a newbie like me, let me borrow a few wrenches and such and patiently answered my (sometimes silly) questions and offered good advice.

The yard is on a bus line, so it's easy enough to get around without a vehicle.

I have not found any other yard that comes close in price for a haul-out around the strait of georgia. they all charge more for the lift, more for lay days and they charge for bottom wash and often stand rental too.

Nanaimo seems pretty good for supplies and finding expertise as well.
yalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:43   #42

Boat: 32 feet of love

couple more things about Newcastle marina in Nanaimo:

you can stay on board (not sure for how long, I was only 3 days).

there is little to no security

it's a small yard, room for maybe 12-15 boats.

it has shower, laundry and that's it. nothing but other marinas nearby, no stores or restaurants. those are a short bus ride or a nice waterfront stroll away.
yalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:20   #43

As for "stuff" needed for the boat, you could hardly do better for depth of inventory and for pricing than Harbour Chandlers on the Esplanade, right downtown in Nanaimo. A dangerous place, if ever there was :-)!

Local family owned for the last forty years. I've always been totally impressed with the service-oriented helpful staff as well as with the gaffer hisself.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 22:07   #44

Boat: O'Day 40

It's tough to know where you're going to get good service. 2 boats near me just had bad experiences at Shelter Island (1 even hired a "project manager") and 1 neighbour had a moderately good experience. (they fixed 2 of the 3 things he asked for and ignored the 3rd).
They certainly have lots of tradesmen to choose from so I guess it's the luck of the draw.
Old 08-09-2017, 19:29   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
As for "stuff" needed for the boat, you could hardly do better for depth of inventory and for pricing than Harbour Chandlers on the Esplanade, right downtown in Nanaimo. A dangerous place, if ever there was :-)!

Local family owned for the last forty years. I've always been totally impressed with the service-oriented helpful staff as well as with the gaffer hisself.

TP
I've gone there half a dozen times. They are quite good, especially if you get the right staff to help (huge variation from eager, friendly experts to downright nasties who seem to want to spoil a sale). However, they never had everything I wanted, even ordinary stuff. Their stock control wasn't perfect; they were out of a stuff I needed, but which they would normally stock. They also seem to be one of those places that favors certain brands. Try getting a winch handle there. They stock two: super expensive and insanely expensive. They are set up to take orders, which they can get filled fairly quickly. Prices can be shocking even before the 12% tax. I'm not complaining; just don't expect it to be like a big marine store you sometimes find in the USA.

Tags
maintenance, pacific northwest