Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 07:24   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
best line for pulling halyards

Hi all;

We are having our boat trucked from the lake where we bought her down to the coast where she belongs. The truck is showing up Wednesday, I am going to take all of the running rigging off Tuesday night. It is old, needs replaced, and because we wont have alot of time to prep the mast before the truck arrives, I htink pulling it off while the mast is still on is my only option.

What is the best cord, and method, to put fish lines in the mast as I pull the rigging off? I have some Mason's cord, but that is quite slippery. Do I sew it through the end with a large needle, or is there a better way to do this?

Any other words of sage advice?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:51   #2

Boat: Crealock 37
Here is another thread with a similar question:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ment-1159.html

I think the easiest way is to sew a loop in the end of the halyard, but may be quicker to attach a leader (messenger, chaser, whatever you wanna call it).
Look at number 6 of this link:
Untitled Document
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
The old halyards are still on the masts, so I need to thread a messanger, not a fish line, as I previously called it. Will simply sewing the messenger onto the halyard work, and then cutting it when it is through?

What kind of line?

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by texwards View Post
Here is another thread with a similar question:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ment-1159.html

I think the easiest way is to sew a loop in the end of the halyard, but may be quicker to attach a leader (messenger, chaser, whatever you wanna call it).
Look at number 6 of this link:
Untitled Document
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:36   #4

Boat: TPI Lagoon 42
[What kind of line?]

Chris - Can't you just leave the old halyards in place and use them later to pull the new ones through?
Tom
Yotboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:44   #5

Sew a loop to the end of your old halyard and use it to pull a messanger through. I just use a braided 1/8 inch line.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:54   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A 1/8 - 5/32" (3-4 mm) braided polyester (Dacron) cord, such as used for flag halyards, and misc. lashings makes an excellent messenger. It can be tied or even taped on to the old halyard, but sewing makes a more secure attachment.
I always keep a couple hundred feet of this very useful & versatile line aboard.
I wouldn’t use the “mason’s cord”, as you might easily find yourself “fishing” the new halyard, when the cord lets go in the middle of the pull.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:15   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A 1/8 - 5/32" (3-4 mm) braided polyester (Dacron) cord, .
We call them a Mouse cos you hold its tail
I'm with Gord that 3-4 mm braid is the go because you can use it for other tasks. Whipping twine can really only be used for whipping and I dont do whippings since spankings came in.
Its ok to sow it through with a needle as you thought. Its too much of a hassel to put a loop on the end of a halyard these days, isn't it?

Its also nice to have a spare mouse threaded up the mast in case of emergencies. of all the stupid jobs in the whole, entire world is fishing for the end of a mouse through a friggin sheave with a bent bit of wire while your at sea. Must be the other reason we call them a mouse. the wriggle!
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:51   #8

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
OK my method is not very shipshape but it works well for me. I use parachute cord as the mesaenger and wrap the line several times around the halyard then tape it in place. Works well if the existing halyard is not so large that it already is tight in the sheave. Alternately I but the new halyard to the old then use whipping twine to whip the two together and then some tape to protect the twine and just in case it lets go. So far never lost one doing this but I've also never done it at sea just at anchor or dock.
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:01   #9

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
Our local chandlery had bins of 1/8 inch line in 100 foot lengths (2 connected 50 foot hanks) for very little money. We picked up quite a few. That line is very useful, we use it for everything from messenger lines to flag halyards, to WiFi antenna halyards, loops to keep the spinnaker bag from washing overboard, etc. Handy stuff.

When we run it as a messenger line, we put a few round turns on the line we're replacing and then keep the whole thing together with Gorilla Tape (was that Gorilla or Gurrilla?) - much stronger than plain old Duct (or Duck) tape. Just make sure that the resulting lump isn't too big to fit through any openings and has a taper to it so it won't hang up.

Cheers,
Bill
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote