Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 18:45   #1

Boat: Nightwind 35'
Best headliner upholstery?

The interior of my 1982 boat is looking really, really tired. It has a white vinyl headliner that hangs in some parts of the boat. I want to remove this and put up something that I can easily take down to do maintenance on all the through-deck bolt fittings. Any suggestion on the best materials out there? I'm a pilot and thought about using aircraft cabin panels, but my buddy said they get brittle and chip easily.

My worst case option is to remove all the headliner material and just leave the glass exposed (not pretty, but functional). In this case I would have to remove all the glue. Any idea the best way to remove 30 year old glue?

Thoughts?
gradyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13   #2

Re: Best headliner upholstery?

On 3 previous boats, (two of mine, the third a complete refit) I've used a vinyl panel that derives from the home remodeling industry. It's called restoration series soffit and duplicates faithfully the original bead board used on porch ceilings of the old homes from the 20s 30s and 40. Its not the sheet material available from the large lumber yards that have shallow scored lines meant to resemble the original but solid vinyl in approx. 8" wide panels about 10 ft. long. I first used it on a 20' Vivacity bilge keel boat I was restoring and later on a Willard 8 Ton . The last project was a 43' steel hulled B. Roberts ketch that we stripped totally and re-fit to suit the new owner. The panels were affixed to the overhead with Stainless screws and on the 43 we used starboard for the attaching battens. The panels, once in place, can be unlocked and allow access to any hardware, wiring etc. that may be behind the covering. I've found the material to be ideal for the marine environment, Reasonably easy to apply and very eye appealing. It's reasonably priced (not sold as marine material) stain resistant (beware of sharpies or felt tip pins) and comes in a variety of colors (I've used white and a very pleasing shade of light blue/gray). Everyone that saw the reults raved about it's appearance and the 43 footer has been cruising for 4 yrs. with absolutely no issues.

P.S. We also used the same material for the covering on the inside of the hull (ceiling).

Highest regards.
, Darrell
Darrell Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42   #3

I found the material availabe at full service siding distributors in most areas. Siding contractors don't usually know about it but the supply house they purchase from will know of it.
D
Old 12-07-2012, 13:08   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

White, stippled FRP panels available in 4 x 8 sheets at Home Depot. Overhead panels can be screwed in place, but on verticle surface areas - e.g., around portlights etc., you will need to grind off the existing glue and either glue, or epoxy them in place. You can use white caulking to fill any seams.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 13:59   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

You can try this:

- buy some light plywood, paint it white or varnish, cut to shape,
- remove the old liner, clean the area,
- attach 3M Dual Lock to the roof,
- attach 3M DL to the panels,
- fit the panels,

Now take some mahogany battens, varnish them, attach 3M DL ...

The battens will cover the areas where the panels come together (it looks best when the battens run longitudinally. If you want the battens flush with the panels, you can attach them with wood screws going thru the slots between the panels, into the cabin top (if sandwich).

Very easy to fit & remove, and looks good too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 14:15   #6

If you dont want to remove the glue, just glue in fuzzy boat liner. (like you might see in a Sea Ray or Bayliner) Not too bad for the overhead... not "yacht"... but hides the surface blemishes etc. Then all your bolts and nuts are visible. a lot less work than a real overhead liner system.... whether strips or panels with trim. I looked at a boat recently that had the bead board panels installed overhead.... it looked just like bead board panels from Home depot! I've thought about doing it before, glad I didnt. Maybe it's just the fact that you KNOW what it is, or maybe it needs to be done real well!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 15:35   #7

What you've seen is the light scored plywood panel. It looks thin and cheap and has no comparison to the vinyl we used. It looks like fresh professionally painted wood and is an exact duplicate of the original Since I first visited this forum, I've found many knowlegable helpful members, but I've also found those with preconceived notions and a bad case of don't confuse me with the facts, I've already made up my mind! I've been a professional ship's carpenter for 25 yrs. and am in awe of the lengths some owners will go to make their vessel appear like iit was completed by a junior high shop class. Not trying to be quarrelsome, just uncovered a pet peeve. Seek to understand beore you dismiss.

Highest regards, Darrell
Old 12-07-2012, 17:22   #8

No problem, wasnt dissing what you did, just offering an opinion. What i considered was real Fir/hemlock or pine Ceiling strip (wainscoating). In the end I decided, "why go with a home product?" if you're using real wood, go with boat wood. I went with white cedar. The real wainscoating is beautiful, but my point above wasnt about the quality of the job... (although it wasnt first class, not too bad).... just that wainscoating speaks "1925 craftsman home" to me, not boat. Done well with a good product, I'm sure it looks great. I still might be tempted to use it on something.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:35   #9

Boat: Morgan 382 - 38' 4"

You may want to consider Parkland Plastics Polywall. It is like FRP but lighter and a flat finish. I used it on the walls and headliner and it looks great. Go to my galley to check it out.
TFrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 05:33   #10

gallery not galley. actually on this site it is called an album.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ddddd.JPG
Views:	788
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	43378  
Old 24-07-2012, 13:45   #11

I appreciate everyone's thoughtful ideas. I'm going to start tearing into a section (over one of the small births) sometime in August and try some of the suggestions and see what option works best.

Thanks Again!
Old 21-09-2012, 17:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFrere
You may want to consider Parkland Plastics Polywall. It is like FRP but lighter and a flat finish. I used it on the walls and headliner and it looks great. Go to my galley to check it out.
How did you end up fastening/adhering the panels? I cut some out and prefitted them and I think this option will work for me too, but I am jiust not sure best way to install them. Ideally I would like a method where I can readily remove the to access thru-bolts.
Old 22-09-2012, 06:55   #13

I glued them to a piece of paneling. You've got to use FRP panel adheseve as most adheseves will not stick to the plastic. You can get the adheseve at Lowe's or Home Depot. Make sure you get all the air bubbles out by setting the plastic on the paneling then roll it with a paint roller or a rubber roller. I think you'll be very pleased with the look.
Old 22-09-2012, 08:13   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradyk View Post
The interior of my 1982 boat is looking really, really tired. It has a white vinyl headliner that hangs in some parts of the boat. I want to remove this and put up something that I can easily take down to do maintenance on all the through-deck bolt fittings. Any suggestion on the best materials out there? I'm a pilot and thought about using aircraft cabin panels, but my buddy said they get brittle and chip easily.

My worst case option is to remove all the headliner material and just leave the glass exposed (not pretty, but functional). In this case I would have to remove all the glue. Any idea the best way to remove 30 year old glue?

Thoughts?
It sounds like your boat was put together just like mine. Mine has "cardboard" centerline panels with a "spongy" vinyl glued on them. These panels screw in and extend to about 4 inches from the sides of the ceiling. From there the same vinyl is glued directly to the ceiling and carries down the walls to the top of the salon seat backs and the aft bulkhead of the cabin.

It is white (now grungy white) with gold fleck pattern. Fortunately it is in good shape but the design is pretty ugly and dated.

I am hoping to find the exact same stuff with a better pattern when I redo the interior. It is stretchy stuff - actually still resilient - and was just formed into all kinds of bends and curves and apparently just glued on with carpet/rubber glue.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 17:18   #15

Thanks'. I am going to try that out!

Tags
headliner