Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2013, 19:58   #1

Boat: TOM LACK, CATALAC 9 M
Best Bottom Paint For Fibreglass?

We sold our house!!! One last trip in Quebec and back again in the Keys !!! So we are getting closer and closer to fix our 'LET'S DO IT!". The electrical is done since a few months. But so much more to do... and many questions :-)
1) what is the best bottom paint for fiberglass -price and quality wise?
2) we intend to apply 3 layers: is it all right or 2 can be enough?
3) we need a new mast : what type is better?
4) we have the riggings but would it be preferable to get some new ones?
5) Regarding Internet, what is the best solution while sailing along the shores? Is a mobile with edge is the easiest way? Or what else?

Thanks Merci for your help and any other tips, suggestions are more than welcome

''Let's do it!''
ChristianneCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 20:00   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: BEST BOTTOM PAINT FOR FIBERGLASS?

Oh boy, none of those are really answerable without much more data - particularly on where you are taking the boat and for how long.

Even then you will get as many answers as posters!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 20:09   #3

Wow twas fast Mark ... thanks ... we have a catamaran Catalac 9M 1976, so she is almost 30 feet and the beam 14. Some pros from the marina and boatyard where we are staying will do the main part of the bottom job. She will be there for about 10 days. For more datas about our cat http://www.catamaransite.com/catalac_9m.html

''Let's do it!''
Old 22-08-2013, 20:30   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: BEST BOTTOM PAINT FOR FIBERGLASS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianneCS View Post
---
1) what is the best bottom paint for fiberglass -price and quality wise?

The fiberglass construction is not as important as the area you are going to be in. I suggest you ask the boat yard for their reccomendation.

2) we intend to apply 3 layers: is it all right or 2 can be enough?

I usually apply two layers and a third along the waterline. The quantity of bottom paint purchased is not an exact science so if you have enough for a third coat go for it.

3) we need a new mast : what type is better?

Since you aren't buying a new Gunboat I assume price is a factor. I would look for a mast close to the original height, that will fit your sails, and is strong enough for the forces involved on a non-heeling boat. It should be adaptable to the boats original rigging plan, and affordable.

4) we have the riggings but would it be preferable to get some new ones?

Really hard to say without knowing the age of your existing rigging, but if you are going to replace the mast it would be embarrassing to lose it due to a fitting that is past its throw away date. The turnbuckles, etc. may be usable when the wire is not.

5) Regarding Internet, what is the best solution while sailing along the shores? Is a mobile with edge is the easiest way? Or what else?

I pretty much ignore the internet when I go away from the ICW. I only connect when I can hook up to shore power.

Thanks Merci for your help and any other tips, suggestions are more than welcome
Bon voyage!
Old 22-08-2013, 20:34   #5

Thank you so much for your advices and answers Bons vents to you :-)

''Let's do it!''
Old 22-08-2013, 21:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post

Bon voyage!
Hello FSMike,

Because of your help I have already some answers and FYI IN THE FLORIDA KEYS, boaters use the Interlux Micron 66 (265$ at 329$/gallon) or the Pettit Trinidad (a bit more expensive) as bottom paints. Both last aoround 3 years.

''Let's do it!''
Old 23-08-2013, 07:22   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Best Bottom Paint For Fibreglass?

Both are good paints, but you will probably be doing a lot of bottom scrubbing to get them to 3 years in the Carib. Two years OK, but 3 will be difficult. Micron 66 is very soft, so be careful with scrubbing.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 11:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Both are good paints, but you will probably be doing a lot of bottom scrubbing to get them to 3 years in the Carib. Two years OK, but 3 will be difficult. Micron 66 is very soft, so be careful with scrubbing.

Mark
Ok noted and thanks for the infos and advice.

''Let's do it!''
Old 23-08-2013, 12:11   #9

Boat: csy 37
Re: Best Bottom Paint For Fibreglass?

i note that you're in south florida. i've spent the past 35 years in south/central florida. this is the BEST paint you can ever put on your bottom for this area - and probably for most tropical areas.

Trinidad 75

pettit trinidad is sold in many 'flavors', all of them good. but this version is simply superior to anything else - the 'professional coatings' version. it comes in several colors, and the copper content is different in each one. since you are essentially buying copper when you buy bottom paint, get the one with the most copper. it will tell you the copper content on the can. i use the red color because it has the most copper. on one boat i kept in the keys it lasted five years. my current boat had it on for four years before i repainted last year.

i put on two coats, then use what's left to add more coats to high wear areas. it's true that you will pay more for the best paint, but when you factor in the cost of hauling more frequently i think it pays off in the long term. bottom painting is a job you can do yourself so the money you save by not paying for yard labor should be put into the best paint.

wifi - for coastal sailing, consider one of those 'hotspots' that at&t or verizon offer for about $50 a month. i bought one from vigin mobile that only costs $20 a month but since they use the sprint network the coverage isn't quite as good. or, if you make lots of stops along the way, there's always free wifi at wendys, mcdonalds, burger king, and lot's of other places.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 13:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i note that you're in south florida. i've spent the past 35 years in south/central florida. this is the BEST paint you can ever put on your bottom for this area - and probably for most tropical areas.

Trinidad 75

pettit trinidad is sold in many 'flavors', all of them good. but this version is simply superior to anything else - the 'professional coatings' version. it comes in several colors, and the copper content is different in each one. since you are essentially buying copper when you buy bottom paint, get the one with the most copper. it will tell you the copper content on the can. i use the red color because it has the most copper. on one boat i kept in the keys it lasted five years. my current boat had it on for four years before i repainted last year.

i put on two coats, then use what's left to add more coats to high wear areas. it's true that you will pay more for the best paint, but when you factor in the cost of hauling more frequently i think it pays off in the long term. bottom painting is a job you can do yourself so the money you save by not paying for yard labor should be put into the best paint.

wifi - for coastal sailing, consider one of those 'hotspots' that at&t or verizon offer for about $50 a month. i bought one from vigin mobile that only costs $20 a month but since they use the sprint network the coverage isn't quite as good. or, if you make lots of stops along the way, there's always free wifi at wendys, mcdonalds, burger king, and lot's of other places.
MERCI BEAUCOUP THANK YOU VERY MUCH to share with us your knowledge. And as you do, we don't mind at all to pay more to get better quality. So, after all the suggestions, advices and researches we will buy the paint that you told us about. And regarding Internet, again thanks for your insights. Bons vents

''Let's do it!''