Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 13:09   #1

Boat: 40 Caliber LRC
Best Antifouling Paint

I am in Grenada and having my boat hauled out so I thought I might as well paint my bottom. I would like to here some recommendations on antifouling paints on the market today. I have been using an ablative. I have been to 2 marine suppliers here and of course have gotten different opinions. One supplier is recommending Seahawk Island 44 with a liquid tin additive. 1/2 a bottle per gallon. Another says the additive is a waste of money.

All these paints are very expensive and I know there are a number of other paints. Looking for feedback.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 19-02-2014, 14:28   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Best Antifouling Paint

pettit trinidad. been using it in the florida/bahamas 'tropics' for the past 30 years and am perfectly satisfied with it.

on the other hand, tin based paints are pretty much illegal in the usa but available in other countries. i have no first hand experience with them but have heard they are superior to copper based paints.

don't know what you consider expensive. here in florida pettit trinidad is over $300 a gallon at west marine, $200 a gallon where i buy it.
Old 19-02-2014, 14:36   #3

A deal here is $337 for a gallon of Island 44 by Seahawk. Seahawk is cheaper than pettit here.
Old 19-02-2014, 21:50   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Bringing a boat with a TbT bottom paint on it to the U.S. (or most seafaring nations, for that matter) is illegal. Using a TbT paint at all is uncool, regardless of legality. It's banned in China, for Christ's sake. That should tell you something.
Old 20-02-2014, 03:35   #5

I am not coming back to the States, however, I am concerned about the environment. Thats why I am looking for advice.

Bob
Old 20-02-2014, 03:50   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Copper is very bad for the environment too; if it wasn't, it wouldn't work as anti-fouling.

It is hard to believe for many that anti-fouling is poison to whatever wants to grow on the hull.

If you use Islands44 you do not need any booster. Our experience is that you can have the paintjob of 2 layers plus a third at the waterline and leading edges of rudder and keel, last for 3 years. Compare that to Trinidad max. copper paint that only lasts 1 year and thus requires 3 times the amount of paint released into the environment.

Hull cleaners prefer paints that don't work so well, because it means more income for them. I would agree with that when a paint is used with no poison release ingredients at all, like a hard Teflon based paint that requires cleaning weekly. Not many would accept that.

Last but not least: you're in the tropics. Others will tell about how good some paint works but they are not in the tropics. Fouling in the tropics is 3x as bad as anywhere else incl. California or Florida. Paints that work in those moderate fouling areas do not do such a great job in the tropics. Example: my new Pettit Trinidad paint job lasted only 2 weeks in Luperon, DR.

Old 20-02-2014, 03:54   #7

What is the stuff used on submarines?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 20-02-2014, 04:14   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
What is the stuff used on submarines?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I don't think modern subs are painted, are they? I thought there was something really unusual about the covering on their hull, like it is sort of a rubber texture?
Old 20-02-2014, 07:12   #9

Boat: csy 37

my pettit trinidad lasts 3 to 4 years. but that's in florida/bahamas.
Old 20-02-2014, 07:29   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Let's see... where to begin? So many inaccuracies, so many fallacies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Copper is very bad for the environment too; if it wasn't, it wouldn't work as anti-fouling.
Yes, copper is a poison. But there is no sane person with an ounce of knowledge on the subject that would equate it with tributyl tin, which is one of the nastiest substances ever intentionally introduced to the marine environment.

Quote:
Compare that to Trinidad max. copper paint that only lasts 1 year and thus requires 3 times the amount of paint released into the environment.
Pettit Trinidad does not "only last 1 year." That is a completely untrue statement. Yes, we all know that you got a bad bottom job somewhere along the line and since have spared no effort in bad-mouthing what is probably the best anti fouling paint in the world. The truth is (for anybody inclined to believe what Jedi is spouting); a properly maintained Trindad bottom will last 3+ years. And I have seen plenty perform well even longer than that.

Quote:
Hull cleaners prefer paints that don't work so well, because it means more income for them.
How the hell would you know what hull cleaners prefer? Are you a hull cleaner? Here's a little knowledge for you, buddy- hull cleaners prefer anti fouling products that make their job easier, not harder. The boat owner is going to have his hull cleaned on whatever schedule he is used to using, regardless of what is on the bottom. If I recommend an inferior anti fouling paint to him, not only am I now working twice as hard to clean it (but of course, being paid the same) but at some point, the customer realizes that the cheap paint I sold him on is actually going to cost him more in the long run because he has to haul for new paint more often. So then on top of everything else, I look like a douchebag.

Hull cleaners prefer anti fouling paints that work well and last a long time. Hull cleaners are not out to screw their clients, despite the low opinion some here seem to have of them.
Old 20-02-2014, 07:48   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we got our seahawk 44 with the booster a couple of years ago in trini and put it on in caracou -- great yard there and less expensive than grenada --
we put a lot of miles on our boat and hope to get 3 years out of the paint - we have never gotten over 2 from anything else
Old 20-02-2014, 08:28   #12

Boat: Boatless

In the past we have used tin based paints but on this boat we have found:

Seajet 039 Platinum
The latest antifouling technology has gone into Seajet's Platinum. Their SPC (self polishing copolymer) is designed to be used worldwide in high fouling areas. Improved fuel economy and sailing performance can be expected with this technology. Recommendation: Use SJT/011as a primer. Sold by Budget

http://www.budgetmarine.com/Catalog/...x#.UwYrz4V0BMg

to be as good and it is metal free.

After 1 year in the Caribbean we had no slime and a few barnacles. We put an additional coat on today while we were out putting in a new depth finder.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 20-02-2014, 08:46   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
In the past we have used tin based paints but on this boat we have found:

Seajet 039 Platinum
The latest antifouling technology has gone into Seajet's Platinum. Their SPC (self polishing copolymer) is designed to be used worldwide in high fouling areas. Improved fuel economy and sailing performance can be expected with this technology. Recommendation: Use SJT/011as a primer. Sold by Budget

Seajet - Budget Marine

to be as good and it is metal free.
Not metal free at all. The base component contains two types of zinc and the hardener component contains cuprous oxide.

Material Safety Data Sheets (171) | Seajet
Old 20-02-2014, 08:49   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

What is the best antifouling that will work on my hull, firearms and anchor???.... I probably need to start a separate thread huh....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 20-02-2014, 09:16   #15

Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch

Maybe you should consider e-Paint. Good reviews and prices on water based non copper paint

Face your fears live your dreams
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
Closed Thread

Tags
paint