Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2012, 08:50   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Beneteau Oceanis 1989 Keel Bolts

Hello,
anyone could possibly tell me the exact measures and the original material of the keel bolts? Mine are very rusty and I want to replace them.
I believe the keel is cast iron (believe because its a new boat to me, lol, not so familiar with the boat yet) and its a wing keel, shallow draft (1,50m)?
I'm currently located in Malaysia so I will most likely have them made rather than order from Beneteau whom I seem to have hard time getting hold of.
Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
The boat is a 1989 Beneteau Oceanis 430.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 09:31   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Beneteau Oceanis 1989 Keel Bolts

Keel bolts i guess are SS, and yes the keel is iron, is the whole thing corroded or is just rust in the nuts and top bolts?? i sugest to clean all the rust with acid and wire brush and see how looks like , do you plan to drop the keel? any water leaking from the bolts? if you can post some pics will be nice ....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:58   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

$1000 says the bolts are fine. Dont believe all the fear crap you read about Beneteaus.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 21:48   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
$1000 says the bolts are fine. Dont believe all the fear crap you read about Beneteaus.

You actually gonna pay out on that when he sends in pics of badly corroded bolts? I seriously doubt it.

This can happen to any boat, 22 years is quite a while. Bendy-tows are no exception. He should probably at least drop the keel and check, unless he can find someone locally who does ultrasound, x-ray radiography, or magnetic particle flaw detection. It doesnt have to cost a ton of money to be certain about your keel bolts, and it's just basic good sense to do so. I've re-bolted a number of wing keel Beneteaux of this era, it's quite common. Several I did ten years ago or more, and the bolts were shot then. Entirely plausible for this guys bolts to be shot by now.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 02:46   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Beneteau Oceanis 430 1989 Keel Bolts

Attached a picture of two bolts - the one on the right is the worst one, that flake of rust came off the top. The one on the left actually doesn't look too bad there is healthy looking metal under a layer of some sort of grease or protective coat.
Apparently the bolts were changed in 2005 as I found a note indicating so.
The bolts are not leaking but there has been water in the bildge as the shower water has been directed there for some years.
I've found several similar descriptions about Beneteaus on the internet (may I post links here to other forums?), so apparently its a common thing, but it seems the bolts are usually rigid, its just the top of the bolts that suffers, and apparently the keel bolts on Beneteaus are ment to be replaced frequently.

But what I'd need is the specs for the bolts so I can have them made or bought.

E-mailed two Beneteau dealers on two continents and no reply so far. Or if anyone can provide me with a proper contact info to Beneteau or a helpful dealer - preferably e-mail as I'm in Malaysia (on Beneteau website they say to contact the dealers..)

I don't want to start to unscrew them before having the correct new ones.
So Anyone..?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121226_194902.jpg
Views:	1841
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	51760  
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 03:18   #6

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon

Just remember that on average 1 mm of steel turns into 10 mm of rust (or whatever unit you want to use); the flake you're showing is about 1 mm or 0.1 mm of steel: no too bad.

If I were in your shoes I would clean them and see what they really look like after some cleaning. When clean and OK you might like to conserve them a little. I uses stuff (looks like thick oil) called Owatrol with good results.
Old 27-12-2012, 04:41   #7

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Yeahh well, this 2 bolts looks ugly, try to clean the tops and see how looks like after, i dont found in the net any bene info about your location or about keel bolts, you can call Mars Keels and get bolts made it maybe there 1-800-381-5335 USA ...or +31-0-631-900-742..

wvraets@marsmetal.com

Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, keel, oceanis