Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2013, 14:44   #1

Beneteau aluminum toerails stain hull

I have a 1989 Beneteau 285 with aluminum toerails. For the past 7 or 8 years I've been getting hull stains that originate at the holes in the toerail. It seems to me that the aluminum is slowly corroding and the corrosion product is what is staining the hull. Within a month of polishing the hull, the stains are back.

What have others done to stop this? I thought of painting or sealing the toerail, but hate to start that.
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 14:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau aluminum toerails stain hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlylelk View Post
I have a 1989 Beneteau 285 with aluminum toerails. For the past 7 or 8 years I've been getting hull stains that originate at the holes in the toerail. It seems to me that the aluminum is slowly corroding and the corrosion product is what is staining the hull. Within a month of polishing the hull, the stains are back.

What have others done to stop this? I thought of painting or sealing the toerail, but hate to start that.
Have you put an electric meter to it to see if its live... had that on my Bendi... turned out some wire to the bow nav lights had chaffed and it was rotting my ally... and making yellow stains on the grp.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 04:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Have you put an electric meter to it to see if its live... had that on my Bendi... turned out some wire to the bow nav lights had chaffed and it was rotting my ally... and making yellow stains on the grp.
I'll give that a try, but most older Beneteau's in my marina seem to have the same problem.
Old 22-02-2013, 05:11   #4

Boat: Beneteau 393
Re: Beneteau aluminum toerails stain hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlylelk View Post

You don't say what color the streaks are but I am guessing black? Yep, it is a pain in the ass, but simple fix. First clean the toerail and then
then spray Corrosion-X (or similar) onto a rag and rub it onto your aluminum surfaces. This includes the toerail of course but also the boom (if Al like mine) which also contributes to the streaking to a lessor degree. If you treat the boom be sure to get the Corrosion-X into the groove along the top of the boom, that's the part that gets the most exposure to water. The Corrosion-X lasts about 4 months before you need to re-apply. Or just say screw it and live with the streaks.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 06:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Likely, it's atmospheric dust, dirt, & contamination, not corroding aluminum rails.

Wash & Wax ➥ Combating Black Streaks Article - Protect All

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 06:33   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Likely, it's atmospheric dust, dirt, & contamination, not corroding aluminum rails.

Wash & Wax ➥ Combating Black Streaks Article - Protect All
If you live in an area where there is a lot of diesel truck traffic or another nearby source of airborne soot, particulates will accumulate on your decks, much of which will include sulphur compounds. These, coupled with the moisture in the air, will combine to create a mild but detectable acid that will erode gel coat and the surface of aluminum. Add enough moisture, i.e. rain, and the resulting debris washes through the toe-rails and drips down the hull causing streaks. This is/was a particularly bothersome problem when we had our boat at the Alamitos Bay marina in Long Beach, Ca. with the nearby highway (to say nothing of the typical airborne pollution in LA County). The only "fix" was frequent wash downs and waxings. We see much less of that here in southwest Florida where our marina is remote from major traffic and there is little air pollution.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 19:08   #7

Thank you all for the help! I'm going to try the Corrosion-X first.
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, hull