Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 16:15   #1

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines
Below Water Hull Cleaning Systems

I'm wondering if anyone has a great and low cost solution to the perrenial problem of cleaning off the pesky marine life that plagues us all. Taking her out for a pressure wash is an easy, time consuming and costly solution. Using your own Scuba equipment is less costly but requires that you actually have that sort of equipment available to you. My current solution, one that I use when I'm not inclined to use my Scuba gear is one that works pretty well, I use light "Bendy" aluminum poles with a scrubbing brush attached to the working end, and, to provide pressure against the hull, I attach two airtight sealed Coke bottles which provide enough "Lift" pressure to allow the scrubbing brush to clean the hull without very much effort and without damage to the hull.
It works for me but I'm sure that someone out there has an even better solution, I would love to hear about the "Topside" underwater hull cleaning solutions that you might be aware of. I would greatly appreciate hearing about your own ideas, Thanks, James
Old 12-04-2011, 16:27   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Below Water Hull Cleaning Systems

A friend has one of those vibrating putty knives that can be used underwater. He says it is very good. Barnacles and stuff just pop off. Still, one has to go underwater to do the whole bottom ;-(

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 16:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Below Water Hull Cleaning Systems

Best method I found was in St Maarten.... this guy would come round and scrub your hull... $1.25/ft LOA.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, water