Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-04-2013, 21:00   #31

Boat: Catalina 34, Merit 25
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Talking to me Jedi or Swifty?
I think he's talking to you since he referenced "the lens". All of my recent work and what this thread has been based on has nothing to do with the actual lens itself but rather than frame that houses the lens being bedded to the hull.

I will mention that I did the lens bedding to the aluminum hatch frame portion of the job from the comfort of my shop this winter. I used "GE ssg4000 ultraglaze" in black which I assume is very similar to "3m 4000uv". Both are silicone, both are uv resistant. I went with the ultraglaze because apparently it is what they use to bed windows on skyscrapers.....figured that was convincing enough.

Another point I might mention is that I discarded the original 1/8" acrylic lenses and made new ones out of 1/2". Many advantages to going much thicker, one being reducing flex and therefore reducing the possibility of a seal being compromised by motion.

Good luck with your project!

Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 03:02   #32
Senior Cruiser

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Bedding non-through bolted hatches with Butyl?

Another vote for butyl.

I just pulled a hatch off that had been on the boat for 30 years. Hatch came off with out a big fuss and the balsa core around the hatch was dry as can be.

(Former 5200 addict)

Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 05:10   #33
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Talking to me Jedi or Swifty?
In general. The sealant that goes around the lens of the hatch is directly exposed to UV. It is therefor good to chose a sealant that stands UV very well so that it lasts longer. 3M 4000UV is specially developed for that plus to make it good looking. I just replaced the first seam done with this sealant and it is 19years old. I also redid marine silicone seams that I put in rather recently but already failed.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: