Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2015, 12:43   #1

Boat: 41' yawl
Bearing material for bronze shaft in aluminum housing

Folks,

I have a bronze steering wheel shaft that drives a bevel gear inside the top end of my aluminum steering pedestal.

I needed to replace the shaft, now I'm wondering what I should use for the bearings. The shaft is 1" diameter and the hole in the aluminum pedestal housing is 1 3/8" ID.

I'm thinking of replacing it with what it looks like it had originally, namely bronze (possible oil-lite? that's what I'll use, anyways, unless anyone has better ideas) bushings pressed into the aluminum housing that the shaft rotates in.

Not sure if there are any foreseeable problems here. Don't want my steering to bind up on me.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 13:32   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Bearing material for bronze shaft in aluminum housing

Now a days, everyone seems to be using something like Delrin or some other modern plastic. Probably not a problem to find the right size on line.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 15:18   #3

I second the delrin material for bushing.There are other plastic materials but the delrin seems to be material that holds up the best.

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 16:07   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Folks,

I have a bronze steering wheel shaft that drives a bevel gear inside the top end of my aluminum steering pedestal.

I needed to replace the shaft, now I'm wondering what I should use for the bearings. The shaft is 1" diameter and the hole in the aluminum pedestal housing is 1 3/8" ID.

I'm thinking of replacing it with what it looks like it had originally, namely bronze (possible oil-lite? that's what I'll use, anyways, unless anyone has better ideas) bushings pressed into the aluminum housing that the shaft rotates in.

Not sure if there are any foreseeable problems here. Don't want my steering to bind up on me.
http://www.igus.com/iglide IGUS IGLIDE bearings. You can get almost any size. They will make specials. Almost any (self-lubricating) material. My 2-1/2 inch X 3" long for the rudder was $7.50 a few years ago. If you add a little grease as well, they last a very long time.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 20:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Bronze and Aluminum don't go well together. Galvanic corrosion big time.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 22:46   #6

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Folks,

Bronze bushing the same as the shaft, if difficult to find the Exact size, have one machined, easy to do

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 23:25   #7

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Best to use Delrin, Teflon or some high density plastic for the bearing, instead of bronze or any metal or even graphite packing to avoid galvanic corrosion to the aluminum.
The plastics are much easier to machine, sand, grind or machine to fit than any other material and easier to find. Teflon comes in many shapes.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 02:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Bronze and Aluminum don't go well together. Galvanic corrosion big time.
Yes. Copper based alloys and Al don't mix. The Al will become a sacrificial anode unless electrically isolated.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 11:54   #9

The Gougeon Brothers boat construction book has instructions for making slow speed bearings using West Epoxy with graphite mixed in. It's worth a consideration as it would probably insulate the 2 metals from one another sufficiently. From memory you mould the shaft in place with a parting compound such as wax polish on the shaft. It would avoid the need for machining. It's just an idea that you might be able to Google.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 11:59   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
The Gougeon Brothers boat construction book has instructions for making slow speed bearings using West Epoxy with graphite mixed in. It's worth a consideration as it would probably insulate the 2 metals from one another sufficiently. From memory you mould the shaft in place with a parting compound such as wax polish on the shaft. It would avoid the need for machining. It's just an idea that you might be able to Google.
Carbon and Al mix is also at very high risk for galvanic corrosion, if I recall even worse than Al and Cu alloys.

Carbon is very noble so again the Al will become a sacrificial anode. Though encapsulated in epoxy wear will expose the carbon to contact with the Al.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 11:59   #11

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post

Not sure of the conductivity of graphite and epoxy, it is after all, graphite, that's conductive.
Used that method to recast rudder bearings, worked great.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 12:13   #12

Yes I realise graphite is carbon and carbon is a conductor, but I'm guessing that embedded in epoxy it won't conduct. A test with a sensitive ohm meter would show this. It's easy enough to make a small sample using araldite to test. An expert on galvanic corrosion could advise better. My guess is that it wouldn't be a problem as the graphite particles probably don't form a continuous current path. Certainly ali doesn't like bronze.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 01:42   #13

Bearing bronze is an aluminum bronze alloy. It is very hard and should wear well, hence its name. I built a rudder for my Alberg 37 and used the old standby silicon bronze for the shaft I had to bend. I used aluminum bronze for the middle gudgeon and lower shaft. Try filing a piece of aluminum bronze and you will see what I mean. It can be machined easily, but it seems harder than many steel alloys.

Just one guy's opinion,
Brad
wbradreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 03:12   #14

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Folks,

Phosphor bronze oil impregnated was popular before delrin or similar nylon based bearings made them obsolete. Delrin works well lubricated with sea water hence its marine use. There are some better lower friction options I would specify for steering. Consistent friction and dimensional stability are the primary design attributes for steering.

The engineering thermoplastic plastic options are the preferred choice these days. You can purchase the bar stock readily and machine it. You need a machinist who understands running fit tolerances and can deliver them on nylon at room temperature.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:41   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Couple things come to mind re bearing material; the issue of corrosion has already been covered. With bearings(aka bushings if not ball or roller) the closer the material likeness the more subject to wear and possible spalling on both surfaces. So I'd definitely go with a material other than bronze more likely a synthetic, more easily machined and fitted. Second note is the softer surface is more subject to wear which is desirable in a bearing, better to have to replace the bearing than the shaft. I don't know the hardness index for fiberglass vs bronze but suspect it could tend to wear the bronze more than provide the bearing surface desired, even if it has a graphite component.
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote