Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2009, 05:29   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
Battery Question

I need a new battery for the gen set. It is totally isolated from house banks, and is charged by an echo charger. So my question is why should I not use a maintenance free auto battery rather than an AGM marine starter battery? It needs to be maintenance free do to access!!!
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 07:08   #2

The "purists" would say "dont mix different chemistries". But in your case, you would be fine with a standard automotive battery for a starter on the genset.

The reason is...

The EchoCharge. It only "echos" when the main bank is topped up, then it "trickle charges" the second battery (genset starter). Since your genset starter battery is only used for "starting" it will nearly always be at "full charge" under normal use. The charging voltage for both gels and flooded at near full capacity is not very different (if at all), so concern for "charge profile" is not warranted (the primary reason why you dont mix chemistries: different charge profiles).

Now, if you were using your genset starter battery for other regular uses, to cause deeper discharges, it would be a different story.

My opinion of course. I am sure there is someone here that will disagree.
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 07:15   #3
Eternal Member

Right on!

Same question asked and answered (in like manner) on SSCA Board.

B.
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery