Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 07:04   #1

Bare fiberglass chain locker HELP

There was a chain discussion on SSCA that I read a while ago that I was reminded of yesterday and can't get back in to see it because the site is down.

I recently loaded 275 feet of ACCO G4 in my chain locker. Have not anchored using it yet. It's been in there for a month at most, brand new.

I started pulling it out on deck yesterday to mark it and it was all...best described as 'flakey". Sort of a powder as it came up through it's hole on deck.

This sparked a slight memory of reading on SSCA that if chain is stored in an anchor locker of bare fiberglass it is harmful to the chain. This is a paraphrase. I think I even posted a question then asking if the glass was painted, is that enough? So, with all my chain on deck as I type, I'm wondering if bilgecoat paint is satisfactory, is paint, in general satisfactory...

Anybody know?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:29   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The discourse on the SSCA site refered to a yacht built with carbon fiber with the hull exposed in the chain lock, implying that the conductivity of exposed carbon fiber could lead to electrolytic deterioration of the chain. Not likely in my view as the fiber is encapsulated in cured resin.

Your "flakyness" may be northing more than salt build-up flaking off if your chain-locker admits water. Or, it could be deterioration of the galvanizing, as I am given to understand that that chain is now made in China and, if so, with the predictable quality issues.

Good Luck--

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:43   #3

Navigator,

When I setting up Guenevere's chain locker I found a couple of fenders around that were no good. They would not hold air. They were the long kind not the round ones. I cut the top and bottom off, then cut open one side. That left a sort of thick rubber mat with ridges on it. I used that to coat the inside of the forpeak.

It keeps the rattle down and protects the fiberglass.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:59   #4

Thanks for the replies. I don't remember the carbon fiber detail, will be very curious to reread that thread.

I was in a hurry for an answer as all the chain was on deck and if I needed to paint the locker it would have been a good time to do it!

Thanks again.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:16   #5

Boat: none
Bare fiberglass in a chain locker seems to me to be a problem as the fiberglass will absorb and release moisture ( and salt ). Paint it.

Tags
fiberglass