Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-08-2015, 18:02   #1

Boat: 1981 Morgan 462
Bamboo Floors

Has anyone ever used solid bamboo T&G flooring on a boat and how did it stand up. I've soaked some pieces in water for day and days with no problem or discoloration, shrinkage or swelling. Steve

Old 31-08-2015, 18:11   #2

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Re: bamboo floors

I have wondered about this too. Please post your results if you find problems or if you do use it, etc.

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 18:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We've done a few and customers love them.... to far (8 yrs) so good!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 18:40   #4

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
We've done a few and customers love them.... to far (8 yrs) so good!
Any photos?
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 21:12   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Bamboo Floors

I would be a bit concerned about this based on the advice I got with regards to using bamboo flooring in my condo in Tampa.

The general consensus was that the humidity levels are too high and issues will arise. If that is the case for a home where there is A/C, I can't see it being any better for a boat.

YMMV
Old 02-09-2015, 10:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Our neighbors have it in their house and it is beautiful. But they complain about how soft it is and how it gets marked with anything that hits it.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:20   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wouldn't use bamboo, personally. Years ago when we used slide rules for computing and they were often made of bamboo, even the good ones, the bamboo would swell and shrink enough from humidity to be an issue.

Maybe a different species of bamboo, properly impregnated with something...but bamboo isn't particularly known for resisting moisture any better than woods.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:13   #8

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Solid bamboo has worked well for me, been 7 years since I put it in. It is glued to a 3/4" subfloor that is painted underneath and all the cut edges ares varnished. The floor ends without being butted up against anything , so there are no expansion issues. I refinished it last week as the finish had been broken in many places that would darken when I walked around with wet salty feet. Waited a bit too long for this job, there were a few stains that could not be sanded out. Refinished with satin varnish with synthetic non slip generously mixed in which is a huge improvement over the original slick finish. The synthetic particles dry clear in the varnish and do not detract from the look like brown sand would.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:14   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

I have been looking at the Janka hardness rating of various materials while trying to decide what new floor to specify. The hardness of strand woven bamboo surprised me. It is substantially harder than many flooring timbers commonly used.

Both horizontally and vertically laid bamboo is substantially less hard though.

Regarding moisture resistance, I have not explored that much, but it seems to be a bit more resistant than hardwoods in general, not less. Regardless, it does come with the same precautions as other timber flooring (eg not for use in bathrooms).

SWL
Old 02-09-2015, 13:06   #10

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

I'm seriously considering it as well so I picked up a sample of solid strand woven bamboo flooring to test it out. Soaking one end of a piece of in water for 72 hours had zero effect. No swelling, and no discolouration. I've hit it with a hammer and scratched at it with a screwdriver, and it is difficult to leave a mark.

It may have a bad reputation from people who have used the cheaper natural grain veneer bamboo with a fibreboard base. This is softer and will swell/delaminate and would not be suitable in a boat. .
Old 12-09-2015, 23:08   #11

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Ketch S/V Solace

I am in the process of replacing my salon sole with stranded 5/8" T&G stranded bamboo. It was available in both carbonized and natural so I decided to do a teak and holly kind of look by alternating the colors, 2 rows carbonized then 1 row natural. I really complicated the project by adding a border of inlayed bamboo that I purchased years ago before they stopped producing it. I think the end result should be pretty nice. I also did a lot of research prior to purchase and concluded that it should hold up well with proper installation. I should add that the sub floor is 3/4" marine ply and then I put a layer of 30 lb roofers felt between the 1/4" lewon plywood underlayment in which the bamboo is glued to with high quality construction adhesive. I designed it so that the entire floor can be removed in 6 pieces in order to access all the fuel, fresh and black water tanks, plumbing, electrical, etc. I'm only about 1/3 done but I think I have the hardest part out of the way which was all the angle cuts to follow along the 13' settee. Time will tell if I made a good decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bamboo sole 1.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	108922   Click image for larger version

Name:	bamboo sole 2.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	108923  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bamboo sole 3.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	108924  
Old 26-09-2015, 07:40   #12

Boat: Custom 43ft Steel Ketch but looking at catamarans....

Hey Steve,

We fitted solid Bamboo T&G to our steel motorsailer five years ago and it's been absolutely fine. We bought it from the local hardware store for £7sqm (as opposed to £250sqm for teak & holly!!!) and wouldn't have it any other way.

For any areas that may get damp, seal the edges with a bit of epoxy and glue the T&G strips together (we used epoxy wood glue) but otherwise, that's it!

You can just see a bit of the floor in this pic:

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:32   #13

Boat: Iroquois 30

I just finished putting bamboo flooring in my house - 3,000 sq. ft. of it. Our choices, due to cost, (Floor and Décor) were a 1. cheaper and softer carbonized horizontal solid bamboo or a 2. more expensive and harder similar stranded bamboo. We picked the softer carbonized horizontal solid bamboo because it was slightly cheaper and for 3,000 sq. ft. the price per sq. ft. can really add up. We knew that our choice was a softer flooring than the stranded bamboo but price dictated our choice. For a small project I would definitely recommend the stranded bamboo because it is a lot harder. Things will be dropped on the floor and the softer bamboo will show the indents and the harder stranded bamboo will not. The guy at Floor and Décor showed us this difference but we still had to go with the less expensive route. But, the floor is beautiful, we love it and we will just have to be more careful using it.
Old 26-09-2015, 10:41   #14

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
I am in the process of replacing my salon sole with stranded 5/8" T&G stranded bamboo. It was available in both carbonized and natural so I decided to do a teak and holly kind of look by alternating the colors, 2 rows carbonized then 1 row natural. I really complicated the project by adding a border of inlayed bamboo that I purchased years ago before they stopped producing it. I think the end result should be pretty nice. I also did a lot of research prior to purchase and concluded that it should hold up well with proper installation. I should add that the sub floor is 3/4" marine ply and then I put a layer of 30 lb roofers felt between the 1/4" lewon plywood underlayment in which the bamboo is glued to with high quality construction adhesive. I designed it so that the entire floor can be removed in 6 pieces in order to access all the fuel, fresh and black water tanks, plumbing, electrical, etc. I'm only about 1/3 done but I think I have the hardest part out of the way which was all the angle cuts to follow along the 13' settee. Time will tell if I made a good decision.

Wow that looks terrific. Really nice job!

www.jacarandajourney.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: