Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2013, 14:54   #61

Re: balsa cored hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
sails off in a Hunter, Catalina, Bavaria, Beneteau, Jeanneau, Dehler, and so on,...
All the boats I mentioned above are way stronger than a Westsail or an Irwin etc.
Depends on what you mean by "stronger".

If you mean "stronger" as in surviving a tow off of a reef, my money would go on the Westsail.

Quote:
but you should not try to do some of the things that the "higher tier" yachts like Contest, HR, Swan, Oyster etc. get away with. Not that those should do it either, but they get away with it.
What sort of "things" are you talking about?
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 15:05   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
S/V Jedi.

Wow ! how thick was the core and outside laminate on your boat?

Regards
At that spot, just aft of the keel, the hull is about 2.25" thick of which 1" is balsa core and 0.25" is copper clad muck (sore point) so there is an inch of fiberglass: 3/8" inside and 5/8" outside.
This is the strongest cored section, but there are sections where the core is tapered out 12:1 to a solid laminate like around keel, rudder, propshaft-strut, bow etc. that is even crazier. Also, the turn of the bilge has an additional 3/8" of kevlar laminate on the outer shell for extra abrasion resistance. Pretty awesome I think
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 15:12   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail42 View Post
Depends on what you mean by "stronger".

If you mean "stronger" as in surviving a tow off of a reef, my money would go on the Westsail.

What sort of "things" are you talking about?
I knew it wasn't gonna take long before a Westsail reaction I understand that you think a Westsail is stronger and for towing off reefs they might well be... but out sailing in the big waves and getting slapped around while doing so is where it counts more, because sitting on reefs should be avoided imho.

The über-class of yachts get away with falling off 30' waves while driving at them with 11 knots. Or eating up a dock they are tied to during a hurricane, while the dock will eat a Hunter trying that. Those kind of things. I've seen these...
Old 20-03-2013, 15:15   #64

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
At that spot, just aft of the keel, the hull is about 2.25" thick of which 1" is balsa core and 0.25" is copper clad muck (sore point) so there is an inch of fiberglass: 3/8" inside and 5/8" outside.
This is the strongest cored section, but there are sections where the core is tapered out 12:1 to a solid laminate like around keel, rudder, propshaft-strut, bow etc. that is even crazier. Also, the turn of the bilge has an additional 3/8" of kevlar laminate on the outer shell for extra abrasion resistance. Pretty awesome I think

Must be really quiet down below when under way , thats the thing I notice most about a cored hull over a solid one, that and they are much warmer up here in Canada .
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 15:28   #65

Quote:
I knew it wasn't gonna take long before a Westsail reaction I understand that you think a Westsail is stronger and for towing off reefs they might well be...
Hey, you were the one using the broad term of "stronger".... so.

And no, I am not one of those who thinks a Westsail is the "strongest" boat. Do a Don and search my posts. I dont defend, nor bash them. Nor do I bash other boats (well, maybe Mac26s ). But this is a thread about hull construction quality. I think a reef would be a better test of such "strength", not falling off of a wave.

Quote:
The über-class of yachts get away with falling off 30' waves while driving at them with 11 knots. Or eating up a dock they are tied to during a hurricane, while the dock will eat a Hunter trying that. Those kind of things. I've seen these...
Or being blown off boat stands in a boat yard. I have seen two Hunters blown off their stands during really bad wind storms. Both hit the pavement on their sides. Both were a total loss (according to the insurance company). Reason? Large cracks formed in the hull (you could see daylight through one).
Old 20-03-2013, 15:46   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think a reef would be a better test of such "strength", not falling off of a wave.
I think that being on a reef is very unwise for any boat. I would choose steel if this was the test. Sailing out there during bad weather is much more realistic for boat strength tests than being on reefs... for most of us, that is

Quote:
Or being blown off boat stands in a boat yard. I have seen two Hunters blown off their stands during really bad wind storms. Both hit the pavement on their sides. Both were a total loss (according to the insurance company). Reason? Large cracks formed in the hull (you could see daylight through one).
A Westsail might not be blown of her stand so easily but I bet it would be a total loss too if it happens. The extra weight will generate a much more violent crash and every rib of her would break I imagine...

I would sail off in a Westsail too , don't get me wrong, and I understand that you haven't been bashing Don's Hunter either, but there have been members, in W32's IIRC, that were bashing Don in the past; I do remember the case he just brought up, and I think that was unfair because the guy would swap his W32 for that Hunter in a flash.

cheers!
Nick.
Old 20-03-2013, 15:59   #67
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

it's been a good thread now as I learned something new if I go looking for another boat, the pull the jackstand out test
Old 20-03-2013, 16:02   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
it's been a good thread now as I learned something new if I go looking for another boat, the pull the jackstand out test
Or find one that already has. I am sure the insurance company will sell it to you CHEAP.
Old 20-03-2013, 16:06   #69

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

In the theme of Hunter discussion a Hunter 50 was tested/promoted in latest Australian Cruising Helmsman mag.
It was headed for Tasmania to replace a Hunter 45.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	719826E0.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	57475  
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote