Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2008, 17:41   #1

ballpark estimates of a new stays / shrouds

I was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark number (maybe within a few hundred bucks) of how much it would cost (labor + materials) to replace my stays, shrouds, and associated hardware (excluding chainplates and on-mast / on-boom) hardware? 36' boat, 44' mast.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 18:04   #2

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Depends

My boat a lot smaller (27 tartan) ran $1200.00. Did not go with upgraded sta-lok's just regular turnbuckles. The rigger said kind of over kill on a boat my size and for my intended use.

South Flordia location.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 19:31   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
I got a ballpark price on an islander 36 when I was looking at buying them it was $3500. Parts are pretty cheap. While you have your mast down you can take them to get measured and have a rigger make the pieces up and install them yourself for a lot cheaper.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 19:50   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Stadning rigging on my 33' sailboat came to $800.00 a couple of years back. Only wires and labor..No chainplates or terminals included.
(Did them things 2 years earlier)
Old 20-03-2008, 19:54   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I would agree with Charlie but it would require you already had Staylock fittings and only needed new wedges. Wedges you never ever reuse. My estimate was for all new 3/16 in. 1 x19 wire no backstay insulator (add $450). I had twin backstays, running back stays and an inner forestay for $4K. About half the cost was materials wire and stuff the rest is labor. Not a bad idea to look at sheaves too. No sense trashing running rigging on bad sheaves. Sheave replacement isn't a bad deal when combined.

Local market conditions and wire prices could out it over $4K. You could do chainplates for under $1K if you do all the labor. Getting the old ones out is the chore.

It can all be done in the water. Most riggers don't like climbing on the hard.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 19:58   #6

Perfect; that's the info I was looking for. I heard that it might be up to $5K or so, so I'm glad that it's a bit cheaper than that. I'm getting a new mast (most likely), so the spreader location and overall rigging size will be a little bit different. Since I'm putting a new mast on, it seems to make sense to switch out the other standing rigging.
Old 20-03-2008, 20:02   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Since I'm putting a new mast on, it seems to make sense to switch out the other standing rigging.
Yes the old stuff really wouldn't work. You should not recycle the wire. Fitings can add up so a lot of it depnds on the details.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 21:50   #8

Any ideas on exactly goes in what order? Obviously I can't put the mast up until I have shrouds and stays, but how are they going to be able to measure those when the stick is being built in a workshop?
Old 22-03-2008, 07:23   #9

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Beware of estimates - I called a local sail / riggings shop, who thought I could replace 2 stays & 4 shrouds for about $80 each (for new wire and having them swage new ends). When i took them in, however, the price jumped to $130 for each of 2 stays, and worse about $210 each (for the 4 shrouds). Apparently, I have nice, very adjustable Navtec turnbuckles, which require difference swage ends (about $108 each, instead of $15 each), I can replace all 4 shroud turnbuckles with new (less adjustable) ones for less money than just replacing the swaged ends, and reusing the Navtec turnbuckles!!

Therefore, I am just replacing the 2 stays this year, and will accurately mark the shroud turnbuckle lengths this year, so I can replace the next year.

Went from a $500-600 quote, to $1200 quickly!!
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:13   #10

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Also since you are considering changing the whole lot, I honestly think it is worth looking at options besides steel. Whole lot of progress has been made in the synthetic world.

Cheers,
Old 22-03-2008, 08:54   #11

I would consider doing them yourselves by ordering the wire rope cut to length and using norseman or stalock fittings.

You can price all the bits and pieces from Defenders.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 09:23   #12

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
Also since you are considering changing the whole lot, I honestly think it is worth looking at options besides steel. Whole lot of progress has been made in the synthetic world.

Cheers,
I agree, if you have an ultra light weight racing machine with a carbon fiber mast and you are willing to replace the rigging much more often than you would with steel.

I disagree if you have a heavy Hans Christian used for cruising (see the posters profile), and don't want to have to constantly be inspecting the synthetic rigging for chafe problems.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote