Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2011, 06:01   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Ballast

I am building a 47 ft CC ketch.The vessell is a complete hull and deck assembled.I have NO plans and they are not available.I have searched the web and questioned everyone I know and can not get a answer as to Ballast placement and ammount.I'had answers fron 9K to 12000K for ammount.The boat is 47' 3'' 13' 3'' 5 'draft with aboard.Ant help will be appreciated.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 06:32   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Ballast

Do you have any pics? If so, someone may be able to ID your boat.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 06:56   #3
Marine Service Provider

This is a one of 30 boats built by a fellow named Vaughn in Miami late 70's and early 80's.There is a listing on line of the sister ship Victory.Search Russ Bartell a listing for Victory for sale will be one of the sub titles.I have spoke with a couple of other sister ship owner who built there own and get varring numbers.I can only beleive most built by seat of the pants,Russ has died.His ides and such were all in his head.
Old 21-07-2011, 07:16   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Is this boat similar http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1295&url=
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 07:22   #5

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Is this a molded glass hull made in a female mold? if so is there a scribed waterline? if so it is possible to reverse engineer it as you can take off the lines, calculate the displacement and center of bouyancy and then weigh the thing,estimate the weight of everything else to go into it to come up with a complete weight excluding ballast, subtract this from the displacement you calculated and the difference is what you need for ballast or at least what the designer had allowed for ballast. Simple, no
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 15:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Bruce Roberts method...

If I recall rightly Bruce Roberts recommended putting only a certain percentage of the ballast in when the boat was built, the rest to be added to trim the boat after launching.

I understand this to be common practice with custom or amateur built boats.

I don't recall the exact amount. From memory its in the builders manual which is lost at the bottom of a pile of junk somewhere.

If you email Bruce Roberts he may help.

Failing that it may not be that expensive to engage a naval architect to advise you. Its not difficult to work out and could save a very expensive mistake.

The Mary Rose comes to mind.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 16:01   #7

Err towards the bow. Almost all cruisers end up dragging along with their stern down.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 16:45   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
This is a one of 30 boats built by a fellow named Vaughn in Miami late 70's and early 80's.There is a listing on line of the sister ship Victory.Search Russ Bartell a listing for Victory for sale will be one of the sub titles.I have spoke with a couple of other sister ship owner who built there own and get varring numbers.I can only beleive most built by seat of the pants,Russ has died.His ides and such were all in his head.
Bartell's boat, Victory, was a Mason 48. There's a Mason 48 listed on yachtworld that carries 12,600 lbs of ballast.

Seems to me the first thing you'll need to know to figure this out is how much total sail area your boat will by carrying.
Old 21-07-2011, 16:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

These boats were designed by Al Mason I know Russ boat very well as he was my next door neighbor during the later stages of building.I should have ask more questions.I recall asking Russ regarding the center board and he filled and sealed his trunk.If you knew Russ he was Brilliant and meticulos far beyond me.I have also spoke to other owners and have been told 12000lbs is too much stay around 10000lbs.Thet also claim to have all there tankage below decks.I don't see it placeing the ballast at the COB takes awat a 100 gallons of tankage area.Maybe I should fly to Washington state and have alook.These are stout boats and I have 1st hand experience on board.Ant ideas will be welcome Dave