Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2014, 06:44   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Bad MacGyvering ! Questionable Funny Repairs

OK...

We sailors are a resourceful lot.... Our passion requires us to repair and refit quite a variety of things... Sometimes bandaging things temporarily just to get by until a proper repair can be done....

I consider my skill set in the MacGyvering field to be far better than most.... I've saved a boat by dewatering it with a jet ski.... Saved another at sea by repairing a fractured 2" rudderstock.... And Turned a V8 motor with a rod thrown out the side of the pan into V6, on the side of the road in the middle of the desert... Continuing 100 miles with a boat in tow....

That being said.... I get a huge laugh at myself when I effect a TRULY AWFUL repair....

_ _ _ _ _ _

Let me set the scene for the next one… 2 days ago there was a weather anomaly, and it was 78 degrees where I live… 3 weeks ago there was snow on the ground…. Sounds like????

I NEEEEEEEEEEED TO TAKE THE TRAILER BOAT FOR A SPIN ON THE LAKE!!!

Besides tossing all of the sails, sheets and crap in the boat.... One of the prep items was airing up the trailer tires (tyres for aussies and brits)… Well Hell if one of the valve stems didn’t split while doing this…. Taking the wheel to the shop meant 2 hrs less on the lake… I wouldn’t have it…. With no further adooooo…. I present…… The Redneck tire stem fix….

Now it’s your turn!

Show us your TRULY AWFUL repairs!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Stem Fix .jpg
Views:	620
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	77476  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 07:34   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Bad MacGyvering ! Questionable Funny Repairs

LOL! That is a wonderful repair. I see you are also short a stud. That side needs all sorts of attention. That would have kept most reasonable people from pulling that trailer that day. Good one.

Once used a key ring from our car keys to attach the tack of the jib to the boat. Luckily it was a small boat and light winds and it held up. No photographic evidence available!

I'm also going to confess that we sailed the boat with that key ring for nearly a season before replacing it with a proper shackle.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 13-03-2014, 07:55   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
LOL! That is a wonderful repair. I see you are also short a stud. That side needs all sorts of attention. That would have kept most reasonable people from pulling that trailer that day. Good one.

Once used a key ring from our car keys to attach the tack of the jib to the boat. Luckily it was a small boat and light winds and it held up. No photographic evidence available!

I'm also going to confess that we sailed the boat with that key ring for nearly a season before replacing it with a proper shackle.

Fiver...

Glad you enjoyed! Yes... The trailer is indeed in crap condition... Due for an overhaul... Luckily the forward tire on that side is the "one new one on the rig" !

Love the keyring tack shackle! No fussy split ring "ends" with a keyring right???

Old 13-03-2014, 08:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Fiver...

Glad you enjoyed! Yes... The trailer is indeed in crap condition... Due for an overhaul... Luckily the forward tire on that side is the "one new one on the rig" !

Love the keyring tack shackle! No fussy split ring "ends" with a keyring right???
Ah, tandem axel trailer, so you were good if one wheel falls off!

Never had a wheel come off a trailer. My Grandfather lost his right front wheel on his old Chevy Monte Carlo while towing his Glastron. It went under his car and boat, a rough ride for both.

Old 13-03-2014, 08:27   #5

Boat: g-cat 5. m

Remind me of a saying. (Where there,s a will there,s a way)
Happy you defintely have the will
Old 13-03-2014, 08:37   #6

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

I think you should rename this thread to "Famous Last Words"
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 08:53   #7

If you make a crucial repair at sea and get your boat to a safe harbor, no matter what methods or materials you use, you made the right call.

If, like Happy, you use a stick and some red crap to get your boat TO the water from the comfort of his own driveway, a place from which we know he had the tools and means available to him to make a proper, long-term repair... that is super Macgyvering, right there.

Old 13-03-2014, 08:54   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ah, tandem axel trailer, so you were good if one wheel falls off!

Never had a wheel come off a trailer. My Grandfather lost his right front wheel on his old Chevy Monte Carlo while towing his Glastron. It went under his car and boat, a rough ride for both.

Wheel fall off you say???

Well... Happened last trip 6 months ago from CA with a 10k load in the enclosed trailer... The hub actually FRACTURED! Had a "good 'ol boy" follow us and tell us where the wheel ended up 1/4 mi away... Took out the leaf spring on the opposite side... Fixed it in the snow outside Dallas on the road... First time I ever undid lug nuts with a tire flat on the ground though!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous cat View Post
Remind me of a saying. (Where there,s a will there,s a way)
Happy you defintely have the will
This CA boy got serious cabin fever in MS... I neeeeeeded to go sailing!

(now funny... fractured hub pics)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Hub 1 .jpg
Views:	405
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	77484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Hub 2 .jpg
Views:	337
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	77485  

Old 13-03-2014, 09:14   #9

Boat: 2002 catalina 390

It all started when I was about 18 , the gear shift lever on the Mustang disappeared through the floor outside Orlando at about midnight, drove home by shifting gears by hand through the hole in the floor. That was 45 years ago and 9,653,371 incidents ago and s___ is still happening.
Old 13-03-2014, 09:14   #10

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

Happy please tell me the MD in your name isn't for Medical Doctor. I would be a little nervous about how patients would be handled.

I love the repairs by the way I always tell new guests that our boat is held together by Duct tape and a Dream. Our rules is if we can sail today with out fixing it then leave it. If we can't sail today with out fixing it find the quickest easiest way possible to get us sailing. Good work!!!!
Old 13-03-2014, 09:23   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

In the Army we called it BDAR (battle damage assessment and repair) for busted wheels, axles etc. we were taught remove the wheel and pull the axle up with a chain and run with a missing wheel.
I got the nickname Mcgyver for successfully removing the 60 KVA AC generator in an Apache helicopter, and replacing the spline adapter, and re-installing the gen with a Swiss Army knife and a Leatherman. Spline adapter was a glass re-inforced plastic sleeve that acted like a shear pin
Old 13-03-2014, 09:28   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If you make a crucial repair at sea and get your boat to a safe harbor, no matter what methods or materials you use, you made the right call.

If, like Happy, you use a stick and some red crap to get your boat TO the water from the comfort of his own driveway, a place from which we know he had the tools and means available to him to make a proper, long-term repair... that is super Macgyvering, right there.

We all have our priorities.... Mine sometimes is sanity!

I would definitely say however... That I'm in the top 5-10% of having the gear with me to get you out of a jam... I use the term gear loosely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeguyver View Post
It all started when I was about 18 , the gear shift lever on the Mustang disappeared through the floor outside Orlando at about midnight, drove home by shifting gears by hand through the hole in the floor. That was 45 years ago and 9,653,371 incidents ago and s___ is still happening.
Ahhhhh !!!! The MAN himself! (*bows*)

Like shifting without a clutch for a week cause your cable broke??? And you're a poor kid waiting for payday????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Happy please tell me the MD in your name isn't for Medical Doctor. I would be a little nervous about how patients would be handled.

I love the repairs by the way I always tell new guests that our boat is held together by Duct tape and a Dream. Our rules is if we can sail today with out fixing it then leave it. If we can't sail today with out fixing it find the quickest easiest way possible to get us sailing. Good work!!!!
Nah... MD is part of MdR = Marina del Rey CA... Where the Morgan is...

Love the boat rules... I'm sure "safely however" is implied!!!

Old 13-03-2014, 09:29   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Had a hydraulic steering hose blow on our Center Console fishing boat a couple of years ago, duct taped an oar to the side of the outboard and used it like a tiller to get home, does that count?
BTW down South we call it something different
Old 13-03-2014, 09:32   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Had a fuel pump go out in an F-250 pick up when I was a teenager, so we opened the hood and my friend sat under the hood dribbling gas from a can into the carburator all the way home.
Old 13-03-2014, 09:34   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In the Army we called it BDAR (battle damage assessment and repair) for busted wheels, axles etc. we were taught remove the wheel and pull the axle up with a chain and run with a missing wheel.
I got the nickname Mcgyver for successfully removing the 60 KVA AC generator in an Apache helicopter, and replacing the spline adapter, and re-installing the gen with a Swiss Army knife and a Leatherman. Spline adapter was a glass re-inforced plastic sleeve that acted like a shear pin
NICE!!!!

I've used the chain and come-along trick for an axle...

60KVA??? WOWSA that's big!... So R&R with the tiny tools... replace the spline link with new??? There had to be a few obstacles to overcome!

Tags
fun, funny, repairs

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: