Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 07:18   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
When we went south on my CS36 all I had was a dodger. Used to use a beach umbrella lashed to the pedestal for sun protection. In later years we got a dodger extension that sort of worked like a bimini but not too well. When I got a new boat for southern cruising I got a good sized dodger, a bimini (1 1/2" rails) and a connector. Many Bahamas cruisers have full enclosures as it sometimes gets cool and windy. We've never had one and if happy hour's on our boat everybody tries for a spot behind the dodger. I always said I'd get a trawler before I got a full enclosure. Well it's time to eat my words. I just ordered a full enclosure and it'll be installed when I get back to the boat in a couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small canvas.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	761  
Old 08-01-2007, 07:58   #17

Hi Curtis!

While I used to do a lot of sewing, and built a bunch of deck canvas one year for a club boat, I have to admit I'm planning on wimping out and hiring the work done. Mostly because as a DIYer I get annoyingly perfectionist, and rebuild something a half-dozen times to get it "just right". I think it'd cost quite a bit more for me to build my own than to hire it done.

But I'm going to be very interested in your project, so keep us posted on your progress!

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:18   #18

Vasco,

I am ending up with a configuration very much like the one you pictured. I'll get better photos later...just thought the similarities were interesting.
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:48   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Tomorrow we begin the new cockpit canvas. Lots of great stuff above. The bottom line is the details are everything. Curtis the issue of entering the cockpit I find to be one of the most important. Until you get up to a 40 ft boat it isn't very easy to do it right.

A good dodger really is the hardest canvas to make. The person doing ours says when she first started 20 years ago it took 8 hours to make a dodger. Now it takes her 24 hours. The thing is once you have made a lot of them you quickly figure out how not to do it and what it takes to minimize exposed seams and strengthen the point that really need it. Think about that when you look at price quotes. You really have to look at a lot of them. Another tip is hire a canvas shop that likes sail boats. Larger power boats use more canvas and has a higher profit margin so look at the references.

We are using a new (to us) material this time for just the dodger, connector, Bimini and enclosure. Instead of Sunbrella we are going with Stamoid. It's a little bit smoother than Sunbrella and is a laminated fabric. It's getting very popular in Florida as being a bit better against UV (nothing is perfect). They also make a nice fabric that is different for cockpit cushions too. This is a company from Europe and is owned by the Ferrari group. We will use Sunbrella fro all the sail covers and such. Another tip - when picking Sunbrella colors blue and green fade the least and red, tan, brown, yellow fade the most. There is a toast color that is popular and it fades quickly too. It's the pigments used in the dye. I find it odd that this is the direct opposite for Alwgrip paint where blue and green fade the quickest.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:10   #20

fading

The standard pigments used to produce red are quite photo sensitive, but they also have the most photo-absorption capability. Most colors include some level of red, with reds and deep browns having the most. There was a site which had a report measuring how much sun went through differing colors of Sunbrella, but I can't find it now; the variance was surprising.

The net result is: determine if photo absorption is more important than longevity when selecting colors. If it is, pick a color likely to block more sun and plan on replacing it more often. (If it fades, so does its ability as a sun blocker)

Old 09-01-2007, 07:34   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
And we chose Linen because my wife liked the colour!! But seriously, our first dodger was red. A few trips down south it was pink. Changed to Flag Blue or Navy Blue or Capts Blue, something like that, a real dark navy blue. It stood up surprisingly well but got hot to the touch. Thought the new boat out really well and went with Linen although navy blue looks a lot sharper. I'll take any colour except that awful Pacific Blue that many boats seem to have. Friend of ours just sold their Endeavor 45. We thought they'd never sell it because it had purple canvas. They asked the prospective buyer how he liked the canvas. He thought it was blue, turned out he was colour blind!
Old 09-01-2007, 11:58   #22

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
http://www.cruisersforum.com/attachm...5/CIMG0464.JPG
When I designed the dodger/bimini for "Sew Good" we took a slightly different approach. A rigid frame which does not fold or collapse, but with canvas that can be removed quickly & easily. By not having to be concerned about where hinge points had to be located, I was able to ensure that it was easy to get on & off the boat with the unit in place .. and that there was adequete clearance at winches etc.
Even the best of the folding frames feel flimsy to the touch ... as though if you yanked on it, it would come off in your hand, our rigid frame is so stout that I expect you could tow the boat by attaching a line to it.
Lynn was adamant that she didn't want a full enclosure ... I felt that we would eventually want one, so we comprimised, the entire lower edge of the dodger/bimini has zippers installed. There is no "enclosure" at the moment, but one could be built and added easily.
One thing we would not do again is select the fabric "Sur Last" for this project. A very nice fabric that I will use again in the future ... but not for a dodger/bimini ... it was cut to fit tightly so that if it stretched at all, it would still be acceptable ... and although it's not supposed to .. it shrank. Looks a bit funny now, was planning to remake the canvas in Sunbrella ... but now that (this) boat is up for sale, and I'm on to other projects.
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:29   #23

Boat: Baltic 51 CB
Dodgers & Biminis

Amgine;

A few years back, after blowing out the plastic windows on my canvas dodger with a pressure washer, and reeling at the price of a replacement, I decided to build my own. It was the best decision I could have made.

For about Can$2000 I build a 5/32" marine grade welded aluminum dodger that was vastly superior to any soft dodger available on the market. It suited the lines of the boat (an Ontario 32 sloop) and attracted many compliments for years after.

It was not easy, but it was worth it. I could email you a photo if you like.
The result was a professional looking, seaworthy dodger that you could jump up and down on, had hand-holds around the roof line, 5 tempered glass windows and fit the trunk cabin very well.

I encourage you to build your own if you have the inclination.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:56   #24

Although I rarely remove the dodger, I like the option... and we have a zip out front window which is handy on very hot days. I don't know that I would give up this flexibility for a hard dodger.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 13:08   #25

A local boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleiades
I could email you a photo if you like.
::grin:: You're local! you could tell me the marina and slip and I could go take a look! Or you could post an image here in the gallery so we can all see it. My email is my username at saewyc Dot net.

I haven't considered aluminum, but have thought about building a hard dodger in wood and fibreglass. I'm still leaning toward canvas, but always open to suggestion.

But there's a nasty storm coming in, so I should run down to the boat and check it out again...

Old 09-01-2007, 13:25   #26

Boat: Baltic 51 CB
Local

Amgine;

Yes, I realized you're in Vancouver right after I clicked "send."
I'll post a picture in this forum's photo gallery.

The dodger I built was for my last boat not the current one. The current owner, who has neglected it very seriously leaves it at anchor in False Creek between Stamp's landing and the Cambie Bridge. The name is "Crusader". She is a Jade green Ontario 32. the dodger is white.
Old 09-01-2007, 13:35   #27

"Crusader"

I'll take a look to see if I can pick it out. Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Old 17-01-2007, 07:33   #28

Hi, I'm just about to get a 39' CAT and it needs cushions inside and out, curtains and I'd like to extend the bimini to cover the port aft helm, I haven't much of a clue about making cushions but the Sailrite sewing machine comes with alot of DVD help. The machine I bought was $399 incl shipping and I think will pay for itself once I've done the cushions. I know paying a professional to do it will cost a fortune. At least I can make courtesy flags is all else fails! Good Luck.
Cheers Jules
ZimboJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 11:21   #29

New to Forum

Hi Everybody,
Glad to be here. My name is Rod. I am in the San Francisco area, I sail a 1976 S&S Swan 41, and am preparing it for extended travel. Let's talk.
Rod Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 11:27   #30

Hello Pleiades,
We have similar boats that have a unique "problem" regarding dodgers. Have you got any really good ideas regarding this? I currently have the small racing type sprayhood, but have retrofitted the aluminum frame with a sturdy stainless one. It still does not do much to reduce our exposure. Just looking for a good solution. Thanks!
Rod Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, dodger