Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 14:46   #1

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit
Awlwood by Awlgrip

I am pulling my wood masts for long overdue refinishing and replacement of the standing rigging. Currently they are painted and I was going to strip and repaint with Awlgrip.

In searching for the best system to do this with, I found Awlwood but not much real world experience with it.
http://www.awlgrip.com/products/clea...s/awlwood.aspx

Has anyone here used this and what were your results? It is supposed to last much longer than varnish. I love the look of a varnished mast but I am not interested in the maintenance of varnished masts. I will re-paint if that is best.

I have read on this site and others NOT to epoxy coat the masts as the flexing would likely cause fracturing of the epoxy and allowing moisture in. If I used the Awlgrip paint over epoxy I don't think moisture would get in but is there any benefit?

I would like to use the best system available that will yield the longest lasting finish whether it is a paint or clear coat system, but if this Awlwood will last similar to paint I would opt for the beauty of it.
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 15:14   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Awlwood by Awlgrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind River View Post
I am pulling my wood masts for long overdue refinishing and replacement of the standing rigging. Currently they are painted and I was going to strip and repaint with Awlgrip.

In searching for the best system to do this with, I found Awlwood but not much real world experience with it.

Has anyone here used this and what were your results? It is supposed to last much longer than varnish. I love the look of a varnished mast but I am not interested in the maintenance of varnished masts. I will re-paint if that is best.

I have read on this site and others NOT to epoxy coat the masts as the flexing would likely cause fracturing of the epoxy and allowing moisture in. If I used the Awlgrip paint over epoxy I don't think moisture would get in but is there any benefit?

I would like to use the best system available that will yield the longest lasting finish whether it is a paint or clear coat system, but if this Awlwood will last similar to paint I would opt for the beauty of it.

Not much info yet because it is still pretty new to the market. I did some boats last summer, will let you know what I think in another six months. Be sure you pull tape while it's still tacky, had to fix paint on a guys boat who used it and left it to cure on regular blue masking. Soaked right through the tape and bonded to the paint, then he tried to remove tape with a razor. It sure sticks good!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 15:20   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Brightwork

Look at System II:Ultimate Exterior Brightwork System.

This has been my tried and true method for some time now. Done properly, it will outperform other methods.

Old 29-12-2015, 16:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Brightwork

Look at System II:Ultimate Exterior Brightwork System.

This has been my tried and true method for some time now. Done properly, it will outperform other methods.
Minaret, thanks for your input. Not to discount any other opinions but I was secretly hoping you would reply to this, Lol!

This will outperform varnish or paint also? Specifically Awlgrip paint?
Old 29-12-2015, 16:27   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Minaret, thanks for your input. Not to discount any other opinions but I was secretly hoping you would reply to this, Lol!

This will outperform varnish or paint also? Specifically Awlgrip paint?

Please to read carefully the link and it's associated literature. Awlbrite is Awlgrip's clear coat. It is an Acrylic Urethane, similar to Awlgrip 2000. This means, among other benefits, it can easily be sprayed and it can also be wet sanded and buffed. This means even a mediocre finisher can provide an absolutely flawless finish. It is $$$$ though!

Old 29-12-2015, 16:54   #6

Thank you. I will go over it tonight and educate myself on this.

Any thoughts on the epoxy coating before the System II?
I know the top of the mast is kind of checked. Would epoxy be best for repair/fill of cracks at the mast head like the one on the far right of this picture? (sorry, this is the best picture I have of the wood at the top of the mast)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0460.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	115820  
Old 29-12-2015, 17:06   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank you. I will go over it tonight and educate myself on this.

Any thoughts on the epoxy coating before the System II?
I know the top of the mast is kind of checked. Would epoxy be best for repair/fill of cracks at the mast head like the one on the far right of this picture? (sorry, this is the best picture I have of the wood at the top of the mast)

No epoxy first. Follow the instructions carefully.

That doesn't look good. Epoxy definitely for filling and bonding, but that looks like more of a candidate for replacement.

Old 02-01-2016, 21:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

The awl wood product has been used for years in New Zealand, with great success. Product was purchased and rebranded to Awlwood. Probably your very best solution.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 22:14   #9

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Point your browser to:

Awlwood MA | waitematawoodys.com #1 for classic wooden boat stories, info, advice & news

New Zealand boatyards have used what was Uroxsys Marine Aliphatic and is now Awlwood MA since 2007. Scroll down and you'll see a Classic Boat (UK) magazine performance comparison of Uroxsys MA against other coating systems. The New Zealand experience with Uroxsys MA is the best historical marker we have.
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 22:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
The awl wood product has been used for years in New Zealand, with great success. Product was purchased and rebranded to Awlwood. Probably your very best solution.
Thank you.
All options are still on the table for consideration.
Do you know what this product was called before it was rebranded?
Have you used it and how long did it last for you?
Old 02-01-2016, 22:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Point your browser to:

Awlwood MA | waitematawoodys.com #1 for classic wooden boat stories, info, advice & news

New Zealand boatyards have used what was Uroxsys Marine Aliphatic and is now Awlwood MA since 2007. Scroll down and you'll see a Classic Boat (UK) magazine performance comparison of Uroxsys MA against other coating systems. The New Zealand experience with Uroxsys MA is the best historical marker we have.
Thanks,
We must have been typing at the same time. I will take a look at your link now.
Old 02-01-2016, 22:56   #12

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Do you know what this product was called before it was rebranded?
Uroxsys Marine Aliphatic.

Uroxsys is an NZ company working in coating systems using polyurethanes and epoxy - hence the name Uroxsys (urethane + epoxy + system).

See also: http://www.covestro.com.au/en/Austra...arine-Coatings

The Awlgrip division of Akzo-Nobel started marketing Uroxsys MA as Awlwood MA in 2013. One has to assume that Akzo-Nobel chose carefully before it bought the rights to Uroxsys MA.
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 23:55   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

What about wrapping the spars in a layer of Dynel or Spectra, set in epoxy, first. And then coating them with X? The Dynel/Spectra & epoxy being to seal things & preventing checking... in theory anyway.
Experts?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:40   #14

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll ask my question on this original Awlwood thread.

Does anyone on the forum have any first hand experience using this product? Specifically, Preparation, Brushing techniques and thinning using the brush reducer. I'm going to be using this product in the next two weeks and would like to discuss with someone else that has actually used it . I will be using both ways. Over bare teak and over new cured Varnish. My hope is to reduce the maintenance of varnished wood.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote