Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2008, 09:05   #1

Awlgrip paint on timber???

I have a large area of tongue and groove pine which my owner wants painted in Awlgrip. I know Awlgrip is compatible with timber and I believe pine should be especially suitable because it's not an especially oily timber.
Because I have to paint approximately 40 square metres I'll be doing it in about 4 sections. Now the problem: the paint area in question is directly over the owners outside dining table and because it will show every imperfection I intend to use a flattening agent to give a more matt finish. I'll have to roll and tip this in 4 sections, mixing up 4 separate paint mixes and I'm worried I might get a different matt if I use too much/little flattening agent.

Does anyone have experience of using Awlgrip on timber.

Does anyone have experience of using flattening agents in Awlgrip

I'd be very grateful for any advise.
sanfairyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 09:23   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Awlgrip on Woods

Polyurethane's of which Awlgrip is one, are not suitable for application on wooden surfaces. The product most commonly used would be a high quality marine enamel. US Paints the manufacturers of Awlgrip have very specific instructions for the application of this product. I believe the data is available to you online.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 09:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Wood expands and contracts too much for Awlgrip. A more flexible paint is necessary in order to paint wood.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 12:53   #4

I don't know if you two will look at this again but I have the Awlgrip Euiropean Application Guide Edition 12 in front of me and there is a section in the book concerning painting on wood (above the waterline).

US Paint do of course cover themselves by saying ''US paint does not consider cracking over seams or mitres to be a failure''.

They do suggest using polyurethane or polysulfide fillers instead of epoxy. Other than that it's pretty much the same application using 545 and topcoat (545 is reduced more than usual for the initial coat).

So forgive me if I sound like I'm answering my own question. Essentially Awlgrip say you can use their product to paint wood but they won't guarantee against cracking.

If anyone has experience of using Awlgrip on wood or using flattening agents please help.

Many thanks.
sanfairyanne is offline   Reply With Quote