Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2018, 18:58   #1

Boat: It’s old
Awlgrip over International Primer and Undercoat?

After taking my topsides to fibreglass and applying at least 5 coats of International Interprotect and sanding with 180 grit, I'm ready to apply one coat of International Perfection undercoat, which I'll roll and tip using Redtree Mohair 3/16 short nap rollers and Redtree foam brushes.

The International technical assistance rep says the International primer and undercoat won't be a problem with Awlgrip. Is this correct or is it essential to apply a coat of Awlgrip 545 primer first?
kimtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 19:40   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Awlgrip over International Primer and Undercoat?

There is no problem using international base coat (undercoat) prior to rolling on Awl grip Topcoat...
However, you should be using a quality sponge mini roller (Stanley) rather than a short nap roller https://www.pinterest.com/pin/466685580109543644/
With proper mixing and application you don't need to Tip, except at corners.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2980.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	168168Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2988.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	168169
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 03:53   #3

Boat: It’s old

Thanks Pelagic. I actually misread Awlgrip Application guide. It mentions the mohair rollers and says that they are for enamel and varnish. Stanley oilers appear to unavailable here in Australia, but I can Redtree foam rollers from Whitworths Marine. I used the Redtree foam rollers on my last coat of Interprotect. They weren't much good with that primer as they detached from the roller and left a uneven finish. Hopefully the Awlgrip won't have as much solvent.

I bet those guys are a lot cheaper than the $35 an hour I'll be paying my tipper.
kimtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 08:35   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hopefully your Redtree rollers will hold up. Be good to do a Test before committing yourself.
In anycase, your painter should be switching to a new roller about every 6 minutes to maintain a nice even flow.
My guys are very good and are able to keep an even pressure on both the fore and backstroke, so that no tipping is required.
With this type of topcoat, as it tacks off, the clear, separates from the color solids and migrates to the surface filling in any fine roller lines and giving you a beautiful spray finish.
Many inexperienced painters, overtip, instead of letting this electrochemical action take place during the tacking phase.

Yes, considerably less than $35/hr.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote