Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-08-2012, 18:08   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat
Question Awlgrip choices

In regards to boat topcoats, there is no doubt endless discussions that can be had. however, in this post, I wanted to ask a specific question regarding the Awlgrip HS product.http://www.awlgrip.com/products/topc...wlgrip-hs.aspx

Can someone offer opinions, experience with this particular topcoat?

The common word is that:

1. Awlgrip polyester polyurethane may offer a bit more protection at the expense of not being as easy to repair.

2. Awlgrip Awlcraft 2000 acrylic polyurethane is a more "homogenous" coating that can be buffed and repaired but may not offer as much service life.

3. Awlgrip HS ?????????? I have heard very little about it.

any thoughts........

Thanks all

Old 03-08-2012, 19:37   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Awlgrip choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by vientoman View Post
In regards to boat topcoats, there is no doubt endless discussions that can be had. however, in this post, I wanted to ask a specific question regarding the Awlgrip HS product.http://www.awlgrip.com/products/topc...wlgrip-hs.aspx

Can someone offer opinions, experience with this particular topcoat?

The common word is that:

1. Awlgrip polyester polyurethane may offer a bit more protection at the expense of not being as easy to repair.

2. Awlgrip Awlcraft 2000 acrylic polyurethane is a more "homogenous" coating that can be buffed and repaired but may not offer as much service life.

3. Awlgrip HS ?????????? I have heard very little about it.

any thoughts........

Thanks all

Awlgrip HS (High Solids) is their premium coating, it has both lower VOC's and a higher ratio of solids, so it will cover in less coats when painting tricky colors like red. The higher ratio of solids not only increases opacity it also increases stain resistance and wear. The stuff is a joy to shoot. If you are looking for really premium coatings you should also consider Awlcraft SE. It's a tricky system that's hard to repair but looks better than just about anything else. Make sure you hire a really good applicator!

Old 03-08-2012, 19:50   #3

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Awlgrip HS (High Solids) is their premium coating, it has both lower VOC's and a higher ratio of solids, so it will cover in less coats when painting tricky colors like red. The higher ratio of solids not only increases opacity it also increases stain resistance and wear. The stuff is a joy to shoot. If you are looking for really premium coatings you should also consider Awlcraft SE. It's a tricky system that's hard to repair but looks better than just about anything else. Make sure you hire a really good applicator!

Thats what they used on my boat...the awlgrip awlcraft 2000... looks freakin awesome...i have pics in my album...only problem was...then i tried to do my topside with a one part paint rolling and tipping and because it just doesnt come anywhere close to the look of that professionally sprayed on awlgrip...i sanded it all back off! Now just waiting for the rain to stop so Chad...amazing painter of boats can do my topside.
Old 03-08-2012, 20:07   #4

P.S... I'll ask Chad about the awlgrip you are inquiring about 2morrow and let you know what he tells me...he knows everything!
Old 03-08-2012, 20:43   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
Thats what they used on my boat...the awlgrip awlcraft 2000... looks freakin awesome...i have pics in my album...only problem was...then i tried to do my topside with a one part paint rolling and tipping and because it just doesnt come anywhere close to the look of that professionally sprayed on awlgrip...i sanded it all back off! Now just waiting for the rain to stop so Chad...amazing painter of boats can do my topside.

Awlcraft SE (Special Effects) is a totally different product from Awlcraft 2000. Awlcraft 2000 is an acrylic urethane. Awlcraft SE is a brand new product. It allows you to do pearlescent effects and metallics with Awlgrip, but it must be topcoated with High Gloss Clear (like most pearlescents). There are some cool effects available. Even in a solid color the Gloss topcoat gives a depth and shine that cannot be reproduced any other way.
Old 03-08-2012, 20:54   #6

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Awlcraft SE is a totally different product from Awlcraft 2000. Awlcraft is an acrylic urethane. Awlcraft SE is a brand new product. It allows you to do pearlescent effects and metallics with Awlgrip, but it must be topcoated with High Gloss Clear (like most pearlescents). There are some cool effects available.
Hmmmm....now i have to ask Chad again....sorry...i know it was Awlgrip....but i thought he mentioned 2000.....
Old 03-08-2012, 21:00   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hmmmm....now i have to ask Chad again....sorry...i know it was Awlgrip....but i thought he mentioned 2000.....

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. Just a pro yacht painter trying to tell the OP about the latest stuff...
Old 03-08-2012, 21:08   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

That must be what the boat down the Bayou has on it ! Super paint job! it's metalic Red and shines like nothing Ive seen painted down here ! most of the shrimp boats go with a cheaper paint and just don't have he gloss like this one has !! really nice !Makes me think about the new to us boat It don't need paint YET, but in a couple of years I may have a Blue and white boat with some shine !! LOL
Old 04-08-2012, 00:17   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

so...

" Awlgrip HS (High Solids) is their premium coating, it has both lower VOC's and a higher ratio of solids, so it will cover in less coats when painting tricky colors like red. The higher ratio of solids not only increases opacity it also increases stain resistance and wear. minaret says "The stuff is a joy to shoot."

Unfortunately when one searches "Awlgrip HS" two things pop up. 1) Awlstar hs antifouling 2) a high solids clear. .......haven't been able to find mention or source for a solid color "Awlgrip HS" topcoat paint. It seems to exist in literature but not in real life. Does anyone know who sells the stuff? I am having no joy finding the stuff, much less an ability to compare prices with Awlgrip poly. polyurethane and Awlcraft 2k.

Would this illusive Awlgrip HS topcoat be similar in character to PPG deltron or Concept automotove paints ...perhaps not since that stuff is an acrylic poly similar to Awlcraft 2000.

A very reputable yacht-builder here on the west coast ( USA) when asked about topcoats, stated that there are litterally hundreds of companys and products out there with similar chemistries offering all sorts of paint systems and it really comes down to what ever the applicator is most comfortable shooting. In other words, it really doesn't make that much of a difference. However, when dealing with customers Awlgrip seems to have captured the hearts of those who believe it to be superior for yachts. Even "Yachtys" seem to move in herds like cows.

As an example, the finish on most modern cars parked and driven along ocean beaches can remain presentable for years.

Sometimes I think I should just paint this half million dollar cat with Porch and Floor paint from Walmart. She'd sail just as well and I wouldn't really have to deftly maneuver around the docks.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:35   #10
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vientoman View Post
so...

" Awlgrip HS (High Solids) is their premium coating, it has both lower VOC's and a higher ratio of solids, so it will cover in less coats when painting tricky colors like red. The higher ratio of solids not only increases opacity it also increases stain resistance and wear. minaret says "The stuff is a joy to shoot."

Unfortunately when one searches "Awlgrip HS" two things pop up. 1) Awlstar hs antifouling 2) a high solids clear. .......

That's Awlspar HS. The High Solids there require you to use less coats when building up varnish.

haven't been able to find mention or source for a solid color "Awlgrip HS" topcoat paint. It seems to exist in literature but not in real life. Does anyone know who sells the stuff? I am having no joy finding the stuff, much less an ability to compare prices with Awlgrip poly. polyurethane and Awlcraft 2k.

The reason you can't find the stuff is because you are not a pro shop. They don't really sell these products off the shelf generally speaking, they are delivered in high volumes from the manufacterer to the boatyard. If you are paying a pro to shoot your boat they should have no trouble acquiring any of these coatings.

Would this illusive Awlgrip HS topcoat be similar in character to PPG deltron or Concept automotove paints ...perhaps not since that stuff is an acrylic poly similar to Awlcraft 2000.

Awlgrip HS is a linear polyurethane, not an acrylic. Not at all the same as PPG or Deltron.

A very reputable yacht-builder here on the west coast ( USA) when asked about topcoats, stated that there are litterally hundreds of companys and products out there with similar chemistries offering all sorts of paint systems and it really comes down to what ever the applicator is most comfortable shooting.

Not really true. While individual applicators prefer different products, that does not mean there is no difference in longevity, stain resistance, or wear resistance. You get what you pay for here as elsewhere. Choose a product and find a painter who likes to shoot it, or choose a painter and go with what he likes to shoot. Depends on your priorites and what's available to you.

In other words, it really doesn't make that much of a difference. However, when dealing with customers Awlgrip seems to have captured the hearts of those who believe it to be superior for yachts. Even "Yachtys" seem to move in herds like cows.

Walk docks, look at boats, ask questions, and form an opinion of your own. Awlgrip IS superior IMHO. The herd has a function...

As an example, the finish on most modern cars parked and driven along ocean beaches can remain presentable for years.

We all have different definitions of "presentable". To me the finish on most brand new cars is hideous. Too much peel.

Sometimes I think I should just paint this half million dollar cat with Porch and Floor paint from Walmart. She'd sail just as well and I wouldn't really have to deftly maneuver around the docks.

You are not the only one to feel that way! But you'd have to repaint yearly as those paints don't hold up well in the marine environment.
If you really do the math you will see that the longer your paint lasts the less often you will have to haul out and repaint. Since much of the cost of a paint job is in labor and lay days, and it takes a similar amount of both to apply a cheap paint as it does to apply Awlgrip, Awlgrip does pay for itself in the long run. Paint your boat once in 15 years or three times? Big difference in cost...
For your locale try calling these guys-

Englund Marine Supply
5080 Cape Arago Highway, Charleston, OR, 97420, U.S.A.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: