Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 06:14   #1

Boat: Little Harbor 53'
Awlgrip bottom paint - never been in since painted 6 years ago. Is it compromised?

we just purchased a lovely little harbor 53' that has been stored indoors since the fall/winter of 2007/2008 at Hinckley. After the boat was taken out of the water and decommissioned, it was sanded and painted using the awlgrip HS gold label anti-fouling product by Hinckley's service department. A perfect job looking at the bottom as it still sits indoors.

as we get ready to launch her, Hinckely is suggesting a fresh coat of paint. Seeing the boat has NEVER been in the water or outdoors since it was painted, what are folks thought on this? does the effectiveness of the anti-fouling paint deteriorate just by being exposed to the air over the last 6-7 years?? i'd say this would make a great science project but maybe id be more into it if it wasn't my boat. hehe.

Love the input. we have lots of other items we are looking to update so doing things that are not necessary for the sake of doing them if something we would like to avoid!

-Jonathan
Jbingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:00   #2

Re: Awlgrip bottom paint - never been in since painted 6 years ago. Is it compromise

you may need to contact the manufacturer on this one. I always read a light with sandpaper and it will be active
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:01   #3

Re: Awlgrip bottom paint - never been in since painted 6 years ago. Is it compromise

on hold for interlux now! will update for everyone.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:14   #4

UPDATE: notes from a call just now with interlux.

Copper element is likely broken down.

A light sand with 80 grit and get any oxidation off it and then 2 coats to ensure you don’t polish through the paint prematurely.

Micron 66 – self polishing paint unless in fresh or brackish water for more than 24 hours. (we are likely going to hit NYC for a week so this rules out this option in the techs mind. Too much of a chance for paint to soften).

Micron Extra – requires the boat to move more frequently. BUT we are always on the move so no issues that I can foresee. Anyone use Micro Extra?

We are going to be sailing in Northeast until end of October then heading to Miami. I was just told by interlux tech I can get 18-24 months before the integrity is broken down.
Old 07-04-2014, 14:40   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

I'm a fan of Blue Water copper pro scx. It's got a buttload of copper in it and some slime control, which you don't really need if you move a lot, and it's cheaper than interlux. A lot of yards use it as their "house bottom paint". Was ranked a best value by Practical Sailor.

That said, I don't exactly see how the copper could have "broken down" in your old paint. It's copper FFS. If it were me, and you do move a lot, I would power wash it, throw it in the water and check it in 2-3 months. Would save you $500 in paint and a few hundred in labor. Being a new-to-you boat that has been on the hard for a few years, you'll probably pull it sooner rather than later anyway after all the little unseen gremlins come out. :P Unless you bought Robin. That was a pampered boat.

Then again you're dropping $400k on the boat so what's a couple of new coats of paint before she gets splashed. YMMV!
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 15:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I'm a fan of Blue Water copper pro scx. It's got a buttload of copper in it and some slime control, which you don't really need if you move a lot, and it's cheaper than interlux. A lot of yards use it as their "house bottom paint". Was ranked a best value by Practical Sailor.

That said, I don't exactly see how the copper could have "broken down" in your old paint. It's copper FFS. If it were me, and you do move a lot, I would power wash it, throw it in the water and check it in 2-3 months. Would save you $500 in paint and a few hundred in labor. Being a new-to-you boat that has been on the hard for a few years, you'll probably pull it sooner rather than later anyway after all the little unseen gremlins come out. :P Unless you bought Robin. That was a pampered boat.

Then again you're dropping $400k on the boat so what's a couple of new coats of paint before she gets splashed. YMMV!
haha. i wish it was just the paint i was contemplating!! i actually had a long talk about this today and your suggestion is exactly the direction we are going in. We are planning to head south in early november and are planning on
setting aside time anyways to address those gremlins we notice over the new few months... fingers crossed on as few gremlins as possible :-)
Old 07-04-2014, 16:11   #7

It's too bad that Awlgrip Gold is no longer on the market--it was the best performing paint I've ever used. I've been using Micron Extra for the past 10 years and has worked well here in New England.
Congratulations on your new boat, they are one of my favorites!
Jsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 17:52   #8

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I have used Micron Extra for the last 12 years and have been satisfied with it. I get a couple of years while in the water, and recoat every time I haul.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint