Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2014, 16:30   #1

Boat: 41' yawl
Autopilot installation when rudderpost is raked

Hi folks,

I'm looking into adding a hydraulic-ram autopilot this winter. The difficulty is that my rudder post is not vertical, it rakes back about 25-30 degrees off of vertical.

The ram I'm looking at, the HLD-2000, claims that it needs to be mounted "upright" with no more than 5 degrees tilt in any dimension. Subsequent diagrams make me think this might not apply to axial rotations though.

To accommodate my rudder post's rake the ram would need to be mounted with an _axial_ rotation (axial meaning, rotated around the axis of the piston) equal to the rake (namely, 25-30 degrees). This is the only way the unit would remain in-plane with the tiller attachment point across the whole range of motion.

Maybe there are some fancier univeral-jointy attachment gizmos for this situation.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 17:57   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Autopilot installation when rudderpost is raked

I wish I knew how to scan in a diagram, as I know a way how to make it work. But describing the schematic for said solution is overly complex to explain via keyboard.

That said, have you contacted the company & asked about this conundrum, & the reasons whey they specify that the AP be mounted thusly? Is it due to a sensor in the unit, for detecting rudder angle, or? And you might also inquire as to why this is important, given that it's going to be in a sailing vessel, & thus heeled over most of the time.

Also, I'm having a bit of trouble picturing things in my head at the moment, but is there a way that an arm attached to the rudder post, which is bent so that it's in the horizontal plane, work?

It'd be worth it too, to do a Google search for pictures of Auto Pilot installations, to perhaps get some ideas, & or solutions.

BTW, what's the make & model on the AP in question? It'll help us with finding you a solution. Ditto if we know the make & model of the boat, plus if you could post any pics of where (as in the space/area) you plan to install it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 19:44   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

There isn't a problem with that Ram in that configuration. As long as you can mount it normal to the rudder arm or quadrant, it is OK. That type of mount might be an engineering problem, but the operation of the Ram in that attitude will not.

The 5 degree angles requirement is only within the plane of rotation, not the rotation plane itself. In other words, it does not want to be pushing up or down on the tiller arm itself. It is very happy laying at an angle that is normal to the tiller arm.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 06:14   #4

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Our rudder is raked as you described. We have 2 quadrants, one for the AP and one for the helm. If posting a pic of our setup will help you let me know and I'll take some pics.

I'm guessing the 5 degree tilt requirement basically means "it needs to be lined up with whatever it's pushing and pulling"
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 07:15   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

One thing to watch for if you mount the cylinder off the horizontal plane is to make sure that the bleed location is accessible and on the upper side.
Old 20-12-2014, 07:54   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
One thing to watch for if you mount the cylinder off the horizontal plane is to make sure that the bleed location is accessible and on the upper side.
It’s a Simrad HLD-2000

"Do never install the unit upside down! (The air valve should be facing upwards.) The HLD must be installed horizontally only. No more than ± 5 degrees tilt is allowed at any position, as illustrated on figure 1. The HLD should not act as an end stop for the rudder."

See ➥ http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Root/...50-2000_EN.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 08:26   #7

Thanks folks,

Uncivilized- good point on digging into why they specify this. It's a simrad HLD2000, but I'm just shopping and not really tied to anything.

They might just be talking about the angle between the yolk/tillers plane of rotation and the drive unit's plane of rotation, but they might be talking about keeping a bleeder as the highest point. But it looks like the bleeder is on the pump, and this can be separate from the cylinder assembly if a 'split' configuration is used.

Anyways, the documentation stinks.

Is there usually a bleed point on the cylinder body itself, or can this be done from the pump assembly (assuming the pump is the highest point).
Old 20-12-2014, 08:26   #8

Boat: Cooper 416

Checkout Wagner n-40 or 60 mounts anyway.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 10:05   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

If you want to check with another vendor, you could call PYI (pyiinc.com) and ask about the L&S Hydraulic drives. PYI has good install support and the L&S drives are very robust, French built.
Old 23-12-2014, 12:33   #10

Got a reply from Simrad:

Motor pump horizontal. Ram don't care

They aren't a talkative bunch, but it looks like the horizontal geometry requirement was for just the motor+pump. So as long as I go with a "split" unit, where the ram + pump assy aren't integrated, I should be cool.
Old 23-12-2014, 20:28   #11

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Pretty sure the air valve means is the air purge point.
You'd want hat at the top because air might stay in the ram.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, installation, rudder