Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2010, 10:07   #1

Boat: CHEOY LEE, GW42, 42', BELLISSIMA
Autopilot

An autopilot for a J-40.....any suggestions? Displacement is 18000. I have taken a look at some wheel driven autopilots - none of which are rated for an 18000 boat. I would prefer an autopilot below decks. Any suggestions to where I should redirect my search? thanks, bb
bill brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 10:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I'm no expert, but the general rule of thumb seems to be to go for the next size bigger (and more expensive, unforunately) than recommended. Most manufacturers will give a displacement range for the unit.
Old 27-10-2010, 10:21   #3

Thanks, wondering about specific manufacturers - - how they are rated? And input on below deck autopilots. bb
Old 27-10-2010, 10:37   #4
Eternal Member

W-H Autopilots. P3 model. Rugged. Reliable. Not outrageously expensive. Excellent technical support.

WH Autopilots

Talk to Will Ham.

(Not affiliated with them, just a very happy customer).

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 10:43   #5

I'l second that. Good stuff, we are very happy with ours also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
W-H Autopilots. P3 model. Rugged. Reliable. Not outrageously expensive. Excellent technical support.

WH Autopilots

Talk to Will Ham.

(Not affiliated with them, just a very happy customer).

Bill
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 10:44   #6

Excellent! I have emailed Will. Thanks, bb
Old 27-10-2010, 11:19   #7

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
I have researched this and settled on a comnav 1420. I am installing this system as we speak. My boat had a navico autopilot with hydraulic ram which is being removed.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 11:50   #8

Thanks again, all of you, for info. bb
Old 27-10-2010, 13:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc
After lots of research, asking owners and reading, cussing and discussing I recently put a Raymarine SPX30 with the Type II long throw electric drive on the rudder. Everything went below decks including the ST70 controller which I placed at the NAV Station and I added a remote control to use on deck. There are multiple reasons I went with this system.
1. I've had excellent experience with other Raymarine Products I've owned.
2. The ability to put the whole thing below decks and use the remote control. I have got to add that being able to steer the boat from anywhere on deck is absolutely incredible and really makes a difference.
3. I can reduce cabling for other insturments such as the wind direction and speed, the chartplotter, camera to monitor the engine room ALL can be run on the same network.
4. The disadvantage was the initial price but the networking ability more than makes up for that.
5. All networking functions can be monitored from the chartplotter at the helm AND the chartplotter also controls the autopilot.
6. The ST70 autopilot controller at the NAV Station also give reading for the wind speed and direction transducers without adding additional displays.
7. The NMEA ability on the SPX 30 give me the ability to add an additional computer to the NAV Station where I can run OPENcpn and Raymarines software for route planning and all the added benefits of being able to run a computer with the rest of the system.
NCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 15:47   #10

Again, great input. Lots to think about. thanks, bb
Old 27-10-2010, 15:59   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
My experience is the SPX range is good especially the heavy output version. The electric linear drives seem good too. Did two transatlantic with them no probs.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 16:22   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41
I recently installed the WH Auutopilot. I did it all myself. The hydraulics need to be installed very carefully so that there are no low spots otherwise the system is very hard to bleed. One concern that I have now that I have purchased and tested the AP with a Baja Bash is that Will Hamm is getting up in years and is there a plan for success. Once they are installed there are minimum problems with them but in ten or 2o years will there be a WH business?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 17:48   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
A Raymarine 'G' with adequate underdeck electrical drive.

A J-40 will also sail by the windvane.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 18:10   #14

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I recently installed the WH Auutopilot. I did it all myself. The hydraulics need to be installed very carefully so that there are no low spots otherwise the system is very hard to bleed. One concern that I have now that I have purchased and tested the AP with a Baja Bash is that Will Hamm is getting up in years and is there a plan for success. Once they are installed there are minimum problems with them but in ten or 2o years will there be a WH business?
Charlie, After 14 years on our previous boat, our WH is still going strong with the new owner. I think that if your autopilot fails in 20 years, it won't matter if Wil is still around or the company is. Even at 10 years there is no way to know if Raymarine or Simrad or anyone else will be either. Saying that, the WH is a unit that can be repaired or replacement parts found from any experienced electronics shop and parts such as the fluxgate or gyro compass can be replaced by other makers than the original. So don't worry about it too much. If you need repairs and that is a big if, the unit can be repaired by someone other than WH. Enjoy your autopilot, it is a great unit. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 07:27   #15

Boat: Sceptre 41
Chuck not a big concern but just thought it should be voiced. I don't know how old Will Hamm is but it would be nice if there were someone else in line for succession.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot