Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2015, 15:22   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Attaching covers etc. to hatch cover lens with industrial Velcro

Anyone ever try attaching anything directly to the lens with industrial removable fasteners (3M Dual Lock is what I am actually considering--the stuff commonly used to attach speed-pass transmitters to windshields)?

My concern is that the pull required to separate the fasteners (remove the cover) represents a pretty good outward pull on the lens. How much suction force can they safely manage? Given those I see used as escape hatches in cats, I gather quite a bit.
Old 10-10-2015, 16:12   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Attaching covers etc. to hatch cover lens with industrial Velcro

If removing is a concern, slipping a screwdriver blade or other flat thing between the mating locks separates them easily.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 17:40   #3

Very true.

The interesting thing about Dual Lock vs. Velcro is the way it snaps into place with a click and parts in a similar manner. Great for attaching fairly rigid panels and such. Very unlike Velco on a coat sleeve.

A plastic blade would be the thing (no scratching). There will be ~ 1/8" gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If removing is a concern, slipping a screwdriver blade or other flat thing between the mating locks separates them easily.

Mark
Old 10-10-2015, 20:18   #4

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Attaching covers etc. to hatch cover lens with industrial Velcro

I use 3M Dual lock all over our boat. We attach pictures, hold open our companionway doors, lamp bases, holds my peekaboo shades to my overhead hatches, Globalstar phone near window. I've used it for 13 years and when I remove it, it leaves no residue or marks on the teak, fiberglass or anything else. Highly recommend it over Velcro.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
I use 3M Dual lock all over our boat. We attach pictures, hold open our companionway doors, lamp bases, holds my peekaboo shades to my overhead hatches, Globalstar phone near window. I've used it for 13 years and when I remove it, it leaves no residue or marks on the teak, fiberglass or anything else. Highly recommend it over Velcro.

The only down side I have found is that if it gets a grip on certain materials (some carpets, some bug netting) it will literally tear them apart getting it separated. I was going to use it on a large screen, and that was a disaster.

After years of use, how do you remove it? Simple work something under the corner and heave?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:23   #6

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

It does snag some items like a terry cloth rag. When I remove it, I just get it started with a thin blade and slowly pry it off. Usually after getting it started, I can pull it off, but it has a good grip.

J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:36   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I would have two concerns. Would frequent sharp pulls on the lens tend to pressure the gasket causing an eventual adhesion failure and leaks? They are not designed to resist direct pressure. I would also want to make very sure that the glue used to apply the Velcro to the lens would not interact negatively with the lens and would be removable. If you could attach your Velcro to the metal casing rather then the lens, I see no downside.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:41   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

IMHO, "Hook and Loop" (trade name Velcro) has no business on a boat anywhere. The hook portion attaches to things you don't want it to, catches on and ruins clothing, etc. Then of course, it loads up with all kinds of fuzz and threads that need to be cleaned out. Just a nuisance. I've seen some boats with Hook and Loop plastered all over the companionway and forward hatch, just waiting to grab hold of you as you enter or exit. Even if one puts the loop portion in these locations, it is ugly and totally unnecessary. There are far better solutions for attaching things to a boat.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:58   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I had covers made that use a draw string to keep them on, the draw string will go slightly under the lip of the hatch, if you make covers insulate them well, you wouldn't believe how much heat a well insulated cover keeps out of the boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 04:53   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Anyone ever try attaching anything directly to the lens with industrial removable fasteners (3M Dual Lock is what I am actually considering--the stuff commonly used to attach speed-pass transmitters to windshields)?

What are you trying to accomplish? Keep stuff off the lens exterior? Keep light out? Insulate for temperature? Or...?

-Chris
Old 13-10-2015, 05:37   #11

Dave22q. Yes, the outward pull is the question. Unfortunately, on the hatches I'm looking at the metal frame slopes away too far.As for interaction, the adhesive has proven safe with polycarbonate and acrylic.

ramblinrod. Perhaps, but that sort of broad statement reminds me of declarations that silicone has no place on a boat. Additionally, Dual Look is not hook and loop in the strict sense; the protrusions are the same on both sides and resemble mushrooms. We have discussed that it does grab fabric and would certainly not be used around a companionway.

ranger42c. Fair question. Actually, it was more an exploration than something I am planning. However, winter insulation is not a concern, since these hatches are fitted with internal double glazing. UV protection would be nice, as would protection from foot traffic and impact. I dislike tie-on canvas covers; perhaps this is only because of bad experiences with some that would not stay on and interfered with hatch sealing.

The Outland Hatch Covers attach with a different sort of fastener and seem to work very well.

----

Dual lock is quite different from Velcro in how it functions. The peal force is not very high, once an edge is started, but the pull off strength is considerable. When attaching, the object sort of snaps into place and requires a light prying in many cases to remove. Unlike Velcro, it does not tend to creep loose, which is why it is useful for speed passes. Different from Velcro, it is for things that you would like to be removable, but not often.
Old 13-10-2015, 06:17   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have "shades" that go inside of the port lights that use what I believe is this duraloc from your description, and it works very well, I don't see why it wouldn't work well on the outside, you may only need four .5" "dots" of the stuff, one on each corner, it holds a lot tighter than Velcro and without all the wiggle Velcro has.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 14:22   #13

Boat: '01 Leopard 38, 3 cbn

Put the dual loc on the aluminum and sewn to cover. Works great until native adhesive backing on tape fails. Tried JB weld-worked but also failed eventually. Sold boat so DK yet how next (boat) attempt goes - think I'll call 3M; maybe try 3M VHB(?) industrial tape. Also dinghy chaps w/dual loc on sewn to fabric but soft velcro glued to tube works.

Tags
hatch