So I've been tinkering with my boat. I got all of the deck
hardware removed. No surprises there. There is some coring material on the deck areas and in the seating areas. I did not know that, because I've never looked closely at a boat with coring. It seems that everything is a-ok though....no soft spots and that sort of thing.
I got all of the cushions and stuff out of the cabin
, to make it easier to work. I've been scraping loose pain out of the interior.
I've got two "new to me" main sails coming. One is from a Columbia
26. The measurements from it are the max of my mast, if I measured correctly. It may need some minor altering but I'm handy with thread and needle and I've got access to a big sewing machine
as well, so minor adjustments shouldn't be a problem.
I also got a used Catalina
22 main and jib
set. I didn't need the jib
, but $175 for the pair, in good condition, was too good to pass up. If the Columbia
26 sail doesn't work, I'll resell it and use the Catalina
. Having three jibs lying around has had me thinking of adding a bowsprit
What is this wooden rail in this picture called? It needs replacing, but I'm leaning away from wood accents on deck. I was thinking of fabricating some stainless steel pieces.
Cushions cushions, everywhere. Forward hatch
Forward V-birth....pretty ain't she! LOL
I tried to take tons of photos of the deck hardware, so when it comes reassembly time, I can figure out where everything goes. I learned that lesson the hard way when I fixed up my Luger Leeward.
Here is the mast tabernacle. It is pretty darn bent. I can probably hammer those dings back out. I'm contemplating, fabricating a new one. I'm limited in that I cannot weld stainless steel in my shop. I'm also contemplating buying
a tig welder.....been wanting one anyway.
This is an anchor
chain guide mount on the starboard side. None of the deck hardware had any backing plated inside the hull
......and this is the result. Today I sanded and rebuilt this area with fiberglass
. I'll be adding stainless steel backing plates
to everything on deck.
All of the forward deck hardware removed. Most of the mounting hardware is in good shape except for having some paint on the inboard side. They'll get a quick soak in acid, and be good as new.
LOOK...my boat is NAKED! LOL Just a hull with no hardware!
I took the two Barlow 15 winches off, completely disassembled them, and soaked them in soap water
, purple power, wd-40, and acetone, before I finally got all the grungy grease off of them. I need to do a bit of polishing on the exterior, regrease, and they'll be good as new.
Here is where the winches mounted.
I spent a fair amount of time wet-sanding today, in the areas where the old deck hardware was. I got the areas cleaned and leveled out pretty well. The stuff that's left is recessed to far to sand, without sanding
through the surrounding gel-coat. It'll be covered up anyway and sealed, so no worries.
Mast tabernacle location....haven't gotten to this one yet.
I bought me a new sander.....instead of wearing dad's out.
It's cold out....so I have my fiberglass
setting with a heat lamp.
I got an unopened piece of fiberglass repair cloth and a gallon of resin with the boat. I've still got a gallon of resin and quite a bit of cloth left over from the Luger boat, so plenty to get this boat back going.
I also got the rudder disassembled.
Reefmagnet: My Luger has a 3/16-inch steel plate rudder, that is original with the boat. There is no special grinding at all on it.
If I used a 3/16-inch 304 Stainless Steel plate the total weight would be around 30 pounds or less. Rounding the lead edge would be no problem, and I could even grind a taper in the trailing edge. It would not be a "foil" shape strictly like the formulas say.