Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2019, 08:06   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Asbestos in 80s boats??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
Hi all, CaptVR here. Built 6 boats, 2 airplanes, marine surveyor for close to 20 years.
You never used asbestos for thickening resins. EVER!!!! I've been in the marine business for 55 years of my 73 years.
What you used was a white light weight filler material for thickening all types and grades of resins, paints and many other liquids.
You used Cab-O-Sil, trade name, the product was fumed silica, which is totally different than asbestos.
The bags were about 4 foot long, 2 foot wide and 16 inces deep, about the size of a bail of cotton. Weight for that huge bag was maybe 10 lb's...
I still have about a half bag in the shop from the early 80's when I was fairing out the last airplane I built.
It does amaze me the misnomers that people get into there heads that have no relevant's what so ever, and they continually spread the bad information.
As far as the asbestos wrapped exhausts on the small boats, by the time the 80's rolled around, all manufacturers of pleasure craft had gone to glass wool fabric, for wrapping exhaust risers. Easiest way to tell, glass wool relatively strong and needed no other supporting. Most asbestos, had to have external wire wrapped around the material because it would break down eventually. If you have exhaust that is wrapped, and you want to insure that particles stay bonded and do not float around freely, make up some waterglass (sodium silicate) and put a couple coats over the suspect materials. You can make it yourself or buy it on line....
Hope this gives some folks on insight on this subject. Take care all, Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret. St.Pete, Fl.

And Cab O Sil (fumed silica) is also brutal on the lungs. I've breathed it building a boat too.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 08:16   #17

-I doubt there would be any in it other than possibly engine room insulation. If it has those white square perforated tiles in there SOME of them may have had asbestos in them.
-Even then, it is not an issue unless you want to tear it out, then just soak with water, (garden sprayer) to abate the dust when tearing it out.
-Asbestos is really not an issue unless you start tearing it up, blowing it around etc ,creating dust. Even then it's only an issue for those doing that all the time for work etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 02:22   #18

Been in utility business for over 40 years in the states. Asbestoes was main insulation of choice until outlawed. However we continue dealing with it when disturbed or if removed even today. Major thing for breathing protection is use of fitted mask with HEPA filters for it and keeping it wet, ideally with a surfactant and containing in a bag for disposal.

I'm sure in some upcomming years we will find out that man made fiber such as fiberglass or hybrids of carbon fiber will be on the listing of bad stuff.

Common sense best practice is to use personal protection such as coveralls, masks with filters, gloves etc. on anything that produces dust. I also use this for the chemical stuff, solvents, paints. Many health hazards are not identified for many years after it's use.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 03:33   #19

Boat: Leopard 40 / Moorings 4000

The primary issue here for the OP is the difference between asbestos containing thermal insulation, which has been referred to repeatedly above, and other materials which used asbestos as a binder / strengthening agent in the 1980's. Asbestos containing thermal insulation was not available after the mid-1970's and thus not likely to have been used on their 1980's boat. So, the issue is whether any asbestos containing compounds used in the original construction of the boat remain aboard it today and what to do with them, if anything. As I noted previously, the type of asbestos used in these applications is the least toxic of all types of asbestos and requires prolonged exposure at relatively high dust levels to create the basis for any asbestos related disease. That said, the first concern is whether the material is friable (can be easily crumbled to dust) or not. Any friable material should be removed by an appropriately licensed contractor. For intact or non-friable materials, the best approach is to leave them in place, undisturbed and then encapsulate them by applying paint or another sealant over it. If that solution is not appropriate, then careful removal using wet non-abrasive methods to minimize dust formation is the next best alternative.
tmccaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 17:05   #20

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
Hi all, CaptVR here. Built 6 boats, 2 airplanes, marine surveyor for close to 20 years.
You never used asbestos for thickening resins. EVER!!!! I've been in the marine business for 55 years of my 73 years.
What you used was a white light weight filler material for thickening all types and grades of resins, paints and many other liquids.
You used Cab-O-Sil, trade name, the product was fumed silica, which is totally different than asbestos.
The bags were about 4 foot long, 2 foot wide and 16 inces deep, about the size of a bail of cotton. Weight for that huge bag was maybe 10 lb's...
I still have about a half bag in the shop from the early 80's when I was fairing out the last airplane I built.
It does amaze me the misnomers that people get into there heads that have no relevant's what so ever, and they continually spread the bad information.
As far as the asbestos wrapped exhausts on the small boats, by the time the 80's rolled around, all manufacturers of pleasure craft had gone to glass wool fabric, for wrapping exhaust risers. Easiest way to tell, glass wool relatively strong and needed no other supporting. Most asbestos, had to have external wire wrapped around the material because it would break down eventually. If you have exhaust that is wrapped, and you want to insure that particles stay bonded and do not float around freely, make up some waterglass (sodium silicate) and put a couple coats over the suspect materials. You can make it yourself or buy it on line....
Hope this gives some folks on insight on this subject. Take care all, Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret. St.Pete, Fl.
Sorry to disappoint, but just because you id not do that does not prevent the rest of the world doing so. Asia and Australia most certainly did use asbestos into 80s as a thicker in filler, it was also in use in US and Europe but no idea when it stopped there. Hull/deck joints were very commonly stuffed with the stuff. Not a real problem unless you are removing all that filler, but toe rail / rubbing strake attachments and stanchions etc will risk some fibres escaping. However, these are not the ultra fine asbestos fibres, but resin fibres with asbestos inside. Probably not a problem but suggest you consult an experienced industrial hygienist if doing much work involving this filled area.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat