Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 09:04   #1

Boat: Baba 30
articulating navstation seat

Hello all! I am trying to locate a source for a nav station seat I saw in a sailboat several years ago. It was a simple round seat (no back) mounted on an articulated arm which allowed it to be swiveled under the chart table for storage. The arm had a vertical mounting base that mounted to the bulkhead beneath the chart table. I'm rebuilding my nav station and would love to incorporate one of these units.
Thanks! Bob
s/v Rock On
bob and sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:19   #2

I think my passport had one of those... cant remember if it was that boat or another for sure. It's likely a custom build, unless you find one someone has removed. Shouldnt be too hard to design and have someone who does pulpit/railmaking put together... Maybe put an ad on Craig's list Florida "swing out nav station seat wanted" you never know what might be out there....
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:19   #3

nav seat

trying to find out if you got any info on the articulating seat. I'm looking for the same thing.
island time21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 14:28   #4

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
YOU MEAN THIS!!! I saved a pic of this years ago 'cause I liked it so much...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swing stool.jpg
Views:	1346
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	7391  

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 17:58   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Bob--

Having served as Navigator on a yacht fitted with one of these seat arrangements in the daze before all this electronic stuff such that one actually had to spend time at the nav station doing navigation, a couple of things.

1. If the swing arm comes directly to the base of the seat from the swivel post under the nav table, it's nearly impossible to face the nav table as the swing arm interferes with one's leg so the one finds oneself sitting more or less sideways. The swing arm needs a bend in it so that once swung out into position, the supporting arm for the seat is roughly parallel to the front of the nav table.

2. If the table is arranged cross-wise in the yacht in such a fashion that one is facing outboard while working at the table (i.e. one's back is toward the opposide side of the yacht rather than fore and aft) when the table side of the yacht is to windward, unless the swing arm can be locked in place with a sturdy pin, the seat is unusable as one cannot sit and brace oneself against swinging backward unless one holds onto the edge of the table with one hand or, one can curl ones leg under the seat and brace with one's toes--which is difficult and will be exacerbated by a straight swing arm as described in 1, above. Moreover, when the seat is not occupied, unless it can be locked, it will tend to swing out without warning in a sea-way no matter how tightly one ties it in place and regardless of the knots one uses!

3. In a manner similar to case 2, above, if the seat is fixed on the post and not free to "roll" as it would on a ball joint, when the nav table is on the windward side of the yacht any heel at all requires that one sit on the edge rather than top of the seat, exacerbating the situation described in 2, above.

In conclusion, when we got to Mexico, the seat top was dismounted from the swing arm, the swing arm removed and chucked into the sea (by the yacht's owner and co-navigator), and the seat bolted to an approximately 30" piece of tubing with a rubber cap on the bottom end. With this, one could place the seat under one's bum and angle the affair forward or aft, port or starboard, as necessary to keep ones balance. This "modified" seat had the further advantage that it could be taken into the cockpit for use by the helmsman who otherwise had to stand for long hours. Of course, there was always a battle to get the seat back to the navigator where it belonged, when necessary.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 18:20   #6

Can this be used in a sea way? It would seem that you would be tossed about like you were in a bumper car.

My nav station seat faces forward toward the chart desk. I find I have to wedge myself on on tack to work there and I do this by sitting with my back to windward and using my leg as a brace against the companionway steps.

When the nav station is to leeward I just wedge to the lee side and it's quite secure. The chart table has fiddles as well to keep the chart and plotting tools on the table top. it works!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030007 (844 x 490).jpg
Views:	703
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	7393  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 19:54   #7

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I use a drum throne... not the most comfortable thing for lounging, but it is movable without wheels that would damage the sole, and it doubles as a general utility seat around the salon. The back folds down (or comes off) and I have padeyes and bungees to lash it when underway. Even under sail, I have yet to see those pads slip...

The graphic is annoying... looks like it belongs in a biker bar. But it is built well.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	throne-sm.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	7398  
Old 13-03-2009, 00:55   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
YOU MEAN THIS!!! I saved a pic of this years ago 'cause I liked it so much...
I've seen a pic of one of those in a magazine, 99% certain it was a production boat - obviously I can't remember the boat make. So this post is not really a lot of help is it?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 05:18   #9

David, I think you are right. I'm thinking Freedom yachts...

Old 13-03-2009, 07:16   #10

Boat: C&C 38'
The venerable Pearson 365 had such a seat.
Old 13-03-2009, 08:12   #11

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
I have sen them on Amels both at the nav station and in the aft stateroom.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 09:52   #12

Boat: Catalina C-42
Here is the one on my Catalina 42. Spring loaded so it will stow when not in use. On a trip to Hawaii on a sistership, the seat worked well on either tack. I'm sitting on it as I type this.

rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 13:13   #13

Rodney...Looks like somebody has a Kickin' Subwoofer!

Old 13-03-2009, 13:23   #14

Boat: Catalina C-42
Errrrrr.... I was wondering if someone would notice that big ol' Jensen. Driven by a 300 watt audio amp. Yeah, I can dim the lights, make the flames in the oil lamps dance, etc. Kinda fun & sounds good. :cubalibre
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 13:33   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Hmmm, just thinking (always dangerous) that I will need a gimballed nav. station on my next boat.

That drum throne idea looks like a good one. I'll have to stow that away in my memory banks, er, on the computer, the cerebral ones don't work so well anymore.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote