Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 11:15   #1

Boat: Horstman Tri-Star45 trimaran
Aries vane refurb - alternate parts source?

I have a Mod. 3 or "Standard" Aries vane that came with the boat and needs maintenance. I visited ariesvane.com, which has shown the same "damaged, be back soon" message for awhile, then called the number in Britain only to find it no longer in service.

Does anyone know of an source for refurb parts, or must I disassemble the entire unit, measure bushings and stuff, then hunt down vendors? (I am in Alaska, <almost everything> requires Internet shopping.)
dcruz99801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
For parts for old British Aries see Aries Spares:
Aries - Providing Vane Gear Spares
48 St Thomas Street, Penryn, Cornwall. TR10 8JW. UK.
Phone/Fax: +44 (0)1326 377467
E-mail: enquiries@ariesvane.com

The website is still up & running; although they have been hit by a computer virus and have lost ALL details, and advise that if you were expecting an order or have made contact in the last two weeks, please telephone Helen on +44(0) 1326 377467, or fax +44(0)1326 378117.

Aries Denmark are the current manufacturers of Aires windvanes:
Aries
Aries Denmark
Telephone: +45 7445 0760
Fax: +45 7445 2960
E-mail: aries@email.dk

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 17:23   #3

Boat: Horstman Tri-Star45 trimaran
RE: Aries contact info

Those are the email address and phone # I tried, straight from their website. As I said, no email replies and the phone came back as 'not in service'. I was hoping someone could tell me if they were still trying to support the vanes, but had changed email providers or had moved, or perhaps sold the rights and remaining inventory to someone whom I could contact.

Personally, I am surprised -- and somewhat renewed in spirit -- to see the people who have manufactured or provided services that were popular for so long, and continue to do so long after it ceases to be a profitable venture, for love of the sport or as a service to their fellow sailors or pilots or whatever. We "boat bums" do travel in a better circle than many.
Old 05-07-2007, 22:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Nick Franklin, the inventor and builder of the Aries Vane, has been dead for a number of years. Bought our Aries directly from Nick and he was a delight to deal with. Actually sent us the vane before he had the payment in hand.

His daughter Helen has continued to supply repair parts and advice for repairing the vanes. Too bad if she is no longer doing it.

Believe she or Nick sold/gave the rights to continue manufacturing the vane to the Danish guys.

The Aries was a great gear for us. Took us many thousands of miles and then many thousand for the second owners of our boat. Probably has more than 50,000 miles on it and still going strong, AFAIK.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, Refurb